ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

1.9

2006 Acura MDX miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Acura MDX:

2006 Acura MDX Owner Comments

Jul 192014

MDX

Acura a division of Honda has know for many years now about a defective draw on the battery from the hands free bluetooth in this vehicle even when the vehicle is shut off with the ignition key out of the ignition. I have read numerous complaints from the 2004 to 2012 models of all types of Acura models. I have installed two new batteries in the last two years. Vehicle sets more than two days and the battery is drawn down enough that vehicle not only not start, but you can't even get vehicle out of park position so you can be towed or pulled off the road safely unless you drag it locked up. And yes this has happened in a dangerous situation. What if you lose battery power for some reason going down the road? very dangerous to you and others on the road. I think this should be a recall on Acura, Honda as many years as this problem has persisted and as many types of vehicles that I'm hearing this problem is being reported on. I also have read one article about a class action lawsuit against Honda motor company for this very problem from a individual in the state of California. Its time in my humble opinion that Acura - Honda Motors own up to this mistake when when it goes back so far and so many types of vehicles with this issue.

- Ford, KS, USA

Jul 092016

MDX

Re: american Honda failed to replace unsafe airbag and refuses to take any responsibilities on July 9, 2016, we took our 06¿ Acura MDX to local dealer for the unsafe passenger side airbag replacement (NHTSA recall 16V-334). The dealer informed us that they couldn¿T replace the airbag due to an unknown wiring obstructing the airbag (exhibits a, B). They wanted to cut the wiring for airbag replacement. However, they will not take any responsibility if something goes wrong. We refused their idea of cutting the unknown wire, because it makes no senses when no one knows the outcomes is going to affect vehicle safety or functionality. We are the original owners and to our best knowledge no one has ever serviced the passenger side airbag. Thus, it is reasonable to suspect this might be a rare defect. We contacted Honda to explain this unusual situation, received a case #04828622; we sent an email with all the details (exhibits C). We had been waiting and following up, but Honda made no progress until we expressed our extreme anger after one year of anxious waiting. Finally, our case has been assigned to a representative at ¿airbag recall department¿ around July, 2017. However, this has been playing the game of ¿this airbag recall did not exist last year¿, ¿not returning phone call as she promised¿, and 'sending a nonsense letter to confirm that our airbag is unsafe!¿. eventually, we have gotten very frustrated and also being worry about our own safety with the dangerously defected airbag. We took the 06¿ Acura MDX to the dealer again; however, Acura dealer wants almost $300 for trying to figure out why they couldn¿T replace the airbag without any guarantee of replacing the unsafe airbag! we hope NHTSA would immediately start to investigate this case, and american Honda should be severely punished due to their egregious conducts.

- Temecula, CA, USA

Mar 242012

MDX

Five days after passing the state car inspection at a Honda dealership, my wife and two sons were driving our MDX on 146N when the check engine light came on and the vehicle stalled. After having the car towed twice, first to a local garage (as it was after 7 pm and on the weekend) and then to the Acura dealership, Acura technicians confirmed the diagnosis of the garage and stated that a spark plug had been sucked into the engine rendering the vehicle unusable with significant engine damage. The initial cost estimate for repair was $8,100 as the following parts needed to be replaced: Engine short block, cylinder head, gasket kits, coil pack, spark plug(s), etc. The owner of the independent garage helped my wife take side-by-side pictures of the damage which are available if you would like to see them. As the damaged parts had been taken out of my vehicle, against my request, these pictures are all that I have to show the extent of the damage. I believe this is a defect in the vehicle and should be investigated. Please note that Acura does not inspect spark plugs until 100K miles and this damage occurred at 84,553 miles. We have followed the maintenance schedule recommended by Acura and were just outside of our power train warranty period and believe that a luxury manufacturer should stand behind their product especially for damage caused by a spark plug that is not required to be inspected for another 15,000 miles.

- Lincoln, RI, USA