6.6

$4,500

2015 Audi Q5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Audi Q5:

2015 Audi Q5 Owner Comments

Dec 102019

Q5 3L

The service center claimed the spark plugs overheated due to the excess oil and then broke causing scratching the walls of the cylinder adding to the excess oil problem - and the only way to fix it was to spend $16K and get a new engine! The fact that they had a know engine oil issue for cars made up to 2011 made no difference since the VIN of this car is not on their list!

- Anirudha M., Allen, TX, US

Oct 012021

Q5 Premium 2.0t

Once my 2015 Audi Q5 hit 90,000 miles, the "Add Oil" light would come on every month or so. I've owned it since it was new, and never had this issue between oil changes previously.

I took it to local Euro Car Repair Shop as it was out of warranty, and nearest Audi dealership is 50 miles away. They told me it is a normal issue with Audi's that are close to 100K mileage. I'm currently adding a quart every 6 weeks or so.

That is ridiculous! Any suggestions or repair ideas? Thanks!

- rblyth, Santa Fe, US

Feb 192022

Q5 Quattro 2.0L V4

Car started misfiring, so I did complete tune up but the problem persisted and I decided to make a trip to the nearest Audi dealer who immediately told me that the problem has everything to do with the engine, and since tune up was done and the problem hasn't been resolved then I will definitely need a new engine that will cost me around $11000! Without even running a diagnostic.

- Sofia E., Brooklyn, US

Dec 172021

Q5 2.0t

Uses almost 2 quarts of synthetic oil, 5/40, per thousand miles when city driving.

- Paul F., Mobile, US

Mar 122020

Q5 Premium 2.0L

I have been dealing with an oil consumption issue on my 2015 Audi Q5 for a good part of this year. I service my vehicle regularly and oil consumption had never been an issue until the engine light came on in March. I live in FL during the winter months so I took the vehicle to Audi of Melbourne on March 12, 2020, odometer reading 75,755. At that time, they completed Part 1 of an oil consumption test and informed me to return the vehicle if the engine light came on or I drove 1,000 miles. Because of the coronavirus, I returned to KY and the second part of the test was completed by Audi of Lexington on March 31, 2020, odometer reading 76,920. I was informed that the vehicle PASSED the oil consumption test (no report provided) based on the parameters established by Audi USA.

I continued to monitor the oil level, adding when nearing the minimum level. Realizing that oil consumption was worsening, I contacted Audi of Lexington and scheduled a second oil consumption test. Part 1 of that test occurred on June 23, 2020, odometer reading 77,793. I was told to drive the vehicle until the engine light came on or I had driven 700 miles. Audi of Lexington completed Part 2 of the test on July 21, 2020, odometer reading 78,534, and again the vehicle PASSED within Audi USA parameters. I believe the oil consumption was .49 quarts.

I purchased the Certified Pre-Owned vehicle from Audi of Lexington on April 18, 2015 and absolutely love most everything about the vehicle. The CPO warranty is set to expire on August 23, 2020 and I fear the engine will fail sometime before or after that date. I know there is a serious oil burn issue that I had never experienced on any other vehicle owned during my lifetime and while acceptable to Audi USA, it is not acceptable to me. While the owner’s manual mentions minor oil consumption, ½ quart per 600 miles, I was not disclosed that issue prior to purchasing the vehicle. I expect better from an expensive luxury vehicle that is well maintained and in excellent condition other than oil consumption.

THE ABOVE INFORMATION WAS SENT TO AUDI OF AMERICA, LLC IN A LETTER FORMAT DATED JULY 23, 2020. I REQUESTED THAT PROPER REPAIRS BE MADE BY AN AUDI DEALER AND COVERED UNDER THE CPO WARRANTY. AUDI OF AMERICA HAS NOT RESPONDED.

- lelhutch, Georgetown, US

Feb 152021

Q5 S Line 2.0L V4

Oil burning issue lead to engine damaged.

Car is parked in the Garage. Engine light flashes on/off when we start the car. I am scared to drive.

Looking for solution from Audi or money to repair from any law suite settelement.

Please advise. Thank you.

- darochrk, Brampton, ON, Canada

Oct 112017

Q5

I purchased a new 2015 Audi Q5 in 2015 and purchased a 100,000 mile warranty and extended service which was always done at the dealership. The check engine light came on several times and I had to add about a quart of oil between oil changes. They did an oil test at about 117,000 and they said it wasn’t bad enough to do under the warranty. I did my own calculation by checking the odometer when adding multiple quarts of oil and it was worse than they claimed. I complained to the dealer and Audi America and they stonewalled me. The lemon law did not apply because technically the warranty had expired. I just traded it in because the issue got worse and worse and I thought I might lose the engine. Never again.

- Steven F., Syracuse, US