2004 BMW 330 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 330:

2004 BMW 330 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 152010

330 6-cyl

I purchased my 2004 BMW 330I in Sept 2010, at least in part because it was advertised as having factory installed xenon lights and I have always wanted brighter headlights than other cars I have owned. Within 3 months I was so disgusted with the dimness of those xenon's that I purchased 2 new D2S bulbs and had them installed at the cost of about $400. (I was told that even xenon's "wear out" over time so I figured I would bite the bullet this one time) I found right away that these new bulbs were no better than I had before. As a matter of fact, the right side lights shined against a wall were actually dimmer than a D cell flashlight. I suffered though trying to drive with my passing lights on at night (you actually have to hold the high beam stick in to get these lights to stay on ) for a year before I decided to replace the whole headlight assembly but no-one sells a replacement for the xenon equipped cars. I then removed the assemblies myself and was shocked to see clear signs of burning or corrosion on the inside of the reflector bowls. No wonder the lights would not shine on the highway. It is so bad that every time I am passed on the highway at night I actually see my car's shadow directly in front of me from the headlights of the car 50-100 feet behind me. I now understand from further investigation this is an ongoing problem with zkw headlights on E46 BMW's. I do not have the technical expertise or extra cash to fix these defects. Can you help?? no accidents or injuries have occurred yet but I have seen many pedestrians or bikers as I pass them at night on the side of the road that I never saw until I was next to them.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Nov 012010

330

2004 BMW 330I - tail light wiring failure. Tail light bulb socket (part number W0133-1663035 failed due to over heating and melting of connector. Results in loss of brake light function. Problem common to both driver and passenger side. Purchasing new part to try to correct problem however problem may also include failure of the connector (female) on the wiring harness which is not readily available. Over heating appears to be due to undersizing of connector/wire. This appears to be a common problem with E46 BMW's (3 series). Problem was brought to dealer's attention while under warranty, ...they did not fix it. Contacted corporate head quarters, ...they did not acknowledge this was a common problem. (ref. EA09-019).

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

Oct 232010

330

2004 BMW 330xi sedan (E46) rear tail light indicator light consistently comes on, even though there is no tail lamp failure. Online community forums report that this is likely due to ground wire short in the tail lamp assembly. Cost of repair at dealership estimated at $700. Currently being investigated by NHTSA as EA09-019, but I'm wary of being overcharged by dealership for what should be a recall.

- La, CA, USA

Feb 262010

330 6-cyl

I want to report a problem with the ignition coils in the BMW 330xi model made in the year 2004 that results in reduced ignition firing power. The engine runs rough and the "service engine soon" light illuminates. BMW had a recall on ignition coils failure in 2005 and 2006 on some models but this problem now surface on other models as well. Please investigate.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 072004

330

While driving at low speeds, the vehicle lost power. The dealer stated that the software malfunctioned. Power loss issue.

- New York, NY, USA