ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 525 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 142017

525

My BMW appears to the have an issue with the passenger air bag sensor, but the VIN isn't include in the recall list. Kindly request recall, as the vehicle hasn't been in an accident, but passenger air bag light remains on.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Oct 282017

525

Computer drawing down battery and car will not start seems to happen more when it's damp and raining this happens when the car is parked passenger airbag light is on BMW would like $2500. To reboot computer I think its a scam

- East Greenwich, RI, USA

May 022016

525

Navigation display reboots constantly. Works periodically. This display gives me access to all of the cars features including warnings and malfunctions with the vehicle. If the display works when the car is on it may not work if you turn off the card and turn it back on.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 012017

525

Head lights angle lights wires getting very dry from the heat of the light and the insulation coming off the optical wires, lights go out, possible shorting and become very unsafe.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 072017

525

My BMW was parked outside a restaurant in overland park, ks, at lunch time on March 7, 2017. Auto was locked and all windows and skylight were closed. When I returned to my car after lunch, the car was unlocked and all windows and skylight were open. The key was in my purse and was untouched. Possible theft attempt?

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Dec 192016

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. While driving, the contact noticed an odor of burning rubber and the alternator warning indicator illuminated. Also, the power failed without warning. The contact stated the vehicle was not able to start without receiving a jump. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the wires connected to the battery were burned. The contact stated they would take the vehicle to the dealer to receive an official diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 032016

525

Mcm burned up got wet and stank up whole trunk because of design flaw by BMW we were driving as it burned up till we had to pull over because of the awful smell

- Reading, PA, USA

Apr 072016

525

Main headlight failure during night driving cause by electrical short circuit, due to headlight internal electrical wiring insulation failure. Internal electrical wiring insulation seems not to meet sae, nec, asme, etc. Codes and standard for the uses, like engine electrical wiring, subject to heat exposure from headlight bulb generation. Major safety issues can result from sudden headlight failure without previous notice, which can cause accident at dark roads. Headlight failure occurs while driving in a dark road at night.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Nov 122014

525

While I was driving on a street road my stirring wheel got stuck and I lost control of my car swerved into other lane and nearly caused an accident. I pushed the wheel back hard and bought my car on the side of the road. A mechanic found that nearly two inches of water had accumulated in the trunk of my car, the water damage caused electrical failure making the car to become inoperable. By shoddy construction. The modules, are installed in the spare tire well and insufficiently protected from moisture, making them especially prone to water damage that can be caused through the normal and ordinary use of the vehicle. My life was put in danger because of this shoddy construction by BMW. When I notified them, they denied and refused to pay or fix. They literally put my life as well as other drivers life in danger, because my car swerved uncontrollably.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 012015

525

Air conditioning stop work causing motor to heat

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Feb 012015

525

Steering wheel malfunction locks preventing the vehicle to start steering wheel locks while driving

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Feb 142015

525 6-cyl

A message on the vehicle display screen indicated that the right-side low beam headlight was malfunctioning. I removed the headlight assembly to replace the bulb and found the wiring insulation is crumbling to the touch, resulting in a short circuit. The headlight bulb is not actually burned out. There are many complaints about this on the BMW forums but BMW and the headlight manufacturer, hella, refuses to acknowledge the problem or do anything about it.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 152012

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525I. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the micro power module needed to be replaced. In addition, the technician discovered that the micro power module wires were melted and burned. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 139,000.

- Hickory Hills, IL, USA

May 102014

525 6-cyl

Since 2011, I have needed to have my, 2006 BMW 530xi, vehicle serviced. Serviced for trunk leakage, battery cable replacement, sunroof/moonroof non-drainage issues and passenger airbag sensor issues. I have paid perhaps three - to five thousand dollars for alleged repairs. None of those repairs were permanent and the issues continued on/off until 5/10/14. On that day/date I drove the car several hours shopping and preparing for mother's day. When I stopped the engine in my driveway the car shut off but I could not remove the key fob from the ignition. There was no power throughout the vehicle, e.g. no dash lighting, no internal lighting, no alarm light flashing and no ability to lock doors or open the trunk. Neither BMW-N.a. nor dealership accept any responsibility for the water leakage or other repair issues, even though some manufacturer recalls were announced to the public for these issues, those were said to me to be only for specified VIN numbered vehicles and not mine. I would like to participate in a class action against BMW for these issues and I have saved all my repair receipts to validate my vehicle problems.

- Mt. Vernon, NY, USA

Nov 262012

525 6-cyl

One day while driving, my car had an alert come on the I drive saying the passenger restraint system was malfunctioning. It stayed on a few months and then went away for a few months. Now the problem is occurring again.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 032012

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 5 series. The contact stated that the battery failed twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the battery under warranty. The failure recurred within one month. The contact replaced the battery and did not notify the dealer or the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current 40,936.

- North Bellmore, NY, USA

Feb 212011

525 6-cyl

On Feb. 21, 2011 the electrical system showed a massive malfunction warning on my 2006 BMW 530xi. The car computer instructed me to discontinue driving immediately and bring my car to the closest dealer. I brought the car to the dealer. It was determined the sunroof cassette was faulty and water from recent rains leaked through the sunroof (in closed position) ran down drain lines into my battery compartment. Water caused major damage of electrical system, modules, battery etc. BMW told me the repairs, including a needed sunroof cassette would total $23000. BMW admitted the sunroof cassette was faulty, but said I was out of warranty and it would be my responsibility to repair. I did research and found 3 internal service bulletins from BMW, si B 61 13 06, si B 54 02 08 and si B54 04 09 which addressed this issue while my car was under warranty- these service bulletins were not performed on my car. I also have seen many, many of this same issue on BMW message boards. This could have been a very dangerous situation, and I feel BMW should be responsible for this repair. Please help.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 012010

525

While driving in heavy rain, the vehicle's electronic control system issued a frenzy of alerts, and interrupted function of several subsystems including the windshield wipers. The system issued a message "continued driving not possible" and then further alerts. The BMW center examined the car and stated that water had entered the car through the sunroof drainage system and flooded the compartment housing the control systems, causing the sudden malfunction. Despite the fact that there is no maintenance protocol established by BMW for the drainage system, I had the sunroof drains checked on October 2009 and was assured by the BMW center that it was working to specification at that time. Nevertheless, BMW's center attributed the failure to the drainage system being partially blocked. (N.B. the system had not been checked for the first three years of use, so why would it fail 1 year and 1 month after inspection?) the drain system is concealed within the roof and is not accessible to car owner. The combination of the defective drainage system and the placement of the electronic control systems at the point of water collection presents a safety hazard when driving in inclement weather. Searching on the internet turns up similar complaints on other BMW models equipped with panoramic sunroofs such as the X3, X5, and 535xi and 325.

- Melville, NY, USA

Sep 082009

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW M5. While driving between 35-40 mph the vehicle caught on fire. The vehicle had a history of electrical problems since the day of purchase. During the fire, the vehicle lost the ability to brake. He had to use the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was completely destroyed. He suffered minor burns on his hands. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Drewer, ME, USA

Apr 152009

525

The panoramic sunroof on E60 BMW wagons has a faulty design of the drains which re-directs water into the rear of the car (spare tire area) causing multiple electrical components to fail while driving: Lights, windshield wipers, door locks, speedometer, etc. In my case, the failure occurred twice in a period of 18 months. The dealer and BMW North America repaired the car at owners' expense although an extended warranty was in force. There has been a technical service bulletin issued by BMW but the dealer does not acknowledge the flaw and refers to the failure being caused by 'environmental influences'.

- Sautee Nacoochee, GA, USA