ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2006 BMW 525 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW 525:

2006 BMW 525 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 052009

525

The sunroof drain clogged in my 2006 BMW 530xi station wagon causing water to pool in the car and short out the electrical system while I was driving, which resulted in the loss of power to the dashboard including the speedometer. I had the car towed to the dealership and the tow truck driver told me that this was the second 2006 BMW 530xi station wagon he had towed that day for the very same problem, the dealership tells me that it's a common problem for the sunroof drains to get clogged by pollen and pine needles, which sounds like a design flaw to me. My husband inspected the trunk where the water was pooling, while we waited for the tow truck, there were relay wires where the water was pooling and heat and steam coming from the area so my husband disconnected the wires, I'm fairly sure that if we had left it much longer it could have caused a fire.

- Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jun 012006

525

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 5 series. After starting the vehicle one morning, all of the instrument panel indicators illuminated. The dealer stated that the vehicle needed a new szl module, which controlled most of the computer functions in the vehicle. The dealer did not have the part available, but assured the contact that the vehicle was safe to drive. Three weeks after the incident, while driving 15 mph, the steering and brakes failed. The failure lasted less than a minute, but during this time he was unable to stop or steer the vehicle. He called the dealer and took the vehicle in for service. They kept the vehicle for over a month and replaced the szl module and clock spring, in addition to an electrical repair. Within a month, the failure recurred. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure and returned the vehicle to the contact. The failure continued and the brakes began to squeal. The dealer replaced all of the brake pads and sensors. Even with all the repairs, the failure persists. The dealer is still unable to reproduce the failure and provide a remedy. Currently, the vehicle is experiencing unexpected acceleration. He believes that the issue is becoming progressively worse. Through research, he has found numerous complaints for the same failure. The failure mileage was 7,000 and current mileage was 31,000.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jul 042007

525 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 BMW 525xi. While driving 60 mph, the lights on the dashboard illuminated and the vehicle decelerated to 10 mph. The vehicle was unable to drive over 10 mph. The dealer stated that there was water on the passenger floor of the vehicle, which damaged all of the wiring and sensors. The dealer was unable to determine where the water originated, but suggested that it may have entered through an open window while it was raining. The current and failure mileages were 13,859.

- Westbury, NY, USA

May 312006

525 6-cyl

After numerous services for electronically defective problems, my cars computer shut down. Just shut down. Since the computer controls all function I was left with no control over my car. I was left with no gps, no climate control, no entertainment control, and in order in have the car services with a complimentary vehicle it had to make weeks to be serviced. Even though I was sold on the fact that the company will be pick up the car, how you do wait. The car had to be serviced two times and became a huge in convince.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jul 152005

525 6-cyl

I purchased car in May 2005 and within 4 weeks my car lights and signal would just flash out of control. The car would then beep all the time. The dealer said they don't know why. Then the computer locked my car. After waited almost 2 hours for roadside the dealer came to bring me to a rental car dealership. The car was towed and then the car was re keyed. The computer was updated and all electronically defects worked better then delivery.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Apr 152006

525

Computer locked key, all lights inside car and outside flickered out of control, then 2 weeks later brake did not engage while trying to stop and the vehicle crashed into a pole.

- San Francisco, CA, USA