$6,500

1. replace engine (3 reports)
2013 BMW X3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW X3:

2013 BMW X3 Owner Comments

May 272019

X3 2.8I

Driving down I84 in CT on Memorial Day evening. Low oil pressure warning comes on. 30 seconds later drivetrain malfunction warning comes on and car starts to power down. Had to cross over two lanes of merging traffic just to make it to the shoulder which I barely did before the engine completely died. This could have been a complete disaster given the merge if I hadn't made it off the road.

- David E., Ossining, US

Oct 192018

X3

I am still in shock. I was driving and my BMW 2013 started to shake and just stop. Fortunately I could pull off the road. The day before I had traveled on business and the car was fine. The report was that I need a new engine at 76,000 miles. Really???

This is my 3rd BMW and probably my last as of my most recent conversation with corporate BMW. They informed me today that there will be no assistance with this issue as it is out of warranty. I could have been killed if I was driving on a major road and my car just stopped!!

I have owned many cars including Lexus, etc. These cars have performed well into 150,000 miles plus with no major maintenance issues. So I'm having a problem digesting this. I have of course researched issues with this car and other BMW cars and I'm finding so many complaints!! This is upsetting. So what are we to do? I'm surprised there is not a class action lawsuit regarding this. I am a small business owner and if I treated my customers the way I've been treated I would be out of business!

- Robin D., West Chester, US

Oct 132018

X3 2.8L

Heard a weird whining sound from engine when letting off the gas after accelerating. I call BMW and setup a service appointment (at this time there are no warning lights, etc.). 4 hours later I am pulling back into my house and the drive train malfunction light and oil pressure light come on about 15 seconds apart. I park my car (after driving about 100 yards). Have it towed to a mechanic. Oil pump fail, metal shaving in oil... need a new engine. Car had had regular annual maintenance through the BMW dealership, etc. $10,400 for a used engine installed. Very disappointed.

- Kurt L., Peachtree City, GA, US

Mar 172017

X3 LX V6

We bought the 2013 BMW X3 from a dealership in Madison, WI. We live in Milwaukee and did all service, as required by the manufacturer, as a matter of fact we just had the 100,000 mile service and oil change. My husband was driving home on the highway going 65-70mph when the engine light and other lights on the dashboard came on. Instantly, the car shut down. Fortunately, at that speed, he was able to drift to the side of the highway without getting in an accident. Vehicle was towed to International Autos in Milwaukee/WestAllis, Wisconsin where we were treated as if we had done something wrong.

We received no support from the dealership throughout trying to resolve the issue. We were told metal shavings were in the oil and it would cost 4000 to just take the engine apart to find out the problem, but why would we want to do that because the engine was going to need to be replaced at a cost greater than 13,000 so we should just do that. But, if we wanted to just know the problem it was going to be that 4000. We had the vehicle towed to an independent ex-BMW mechanic service station where he informed us that he has already seen three additional cars with the same problem. He was unable to make any repairs and we were told it did need a new engine, reason unknown until he would take it apart.

I contacted the miserable people at BMW who initially sound concerned, but that is just a front. You get a call back and they basically almost laugh at you by the tone of voice and state that they cannot do anything to help and they have never heard of this happening. I have now seen at least 20-30 same complaints on this site and others for the same year car. We don't usually buy luxury cars or high end cars like this, but wanted a car that would last a long time since my husband puts on a lot of miles. We were "guaranteed" by our sales person that these cars can run for 300,000 miles. Well, he was a little off! We still had 13,000 left to pay on the car when this happened and as you can imagine, writing out that check every month is the hardest thing I have to do. We even offered to cover half the cost of the engine (parts), but they did nothing.

The worst part about all of this is that this malfunction for us and others that have reported the same problem was that it could have ended up in a horrible accident. I have and will continue to tell every person that ever mentions BMW that this is the worst car brand you could ever buy. A friend of mine works for an extended warranty car insurance company and he told me that no one should ever own a BMW for greater than 3 years or 100,000, whichever comes first because the rate of repair that they see is astronomical!!!

I will never have to worry about this again because you could not put me in another BMW. I shouldn't beat up the dealership too much, they were willing to sell me another BMW with incentive, but not anywhere near covering the 13,000 we still owed on the car, thanks, but no thanks.

We since heard that BMW has extended the warranty on certain parts related to the oil; however, no recalls have been issued. Kind of scary if they know they have a problem that could result in a horrible accident. Not everyone takes the time to do this and the car dealerships are not required to report even if it was life threatening, seems we as consumers get the short end of the stick.

- Suellen B., Greendale, US