ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2.5

1998 BMW Z3 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 BMW Z3:

1998 BMW Z3 Owner Comments

Jun 012017

Z3

A loud clunking sound coming from rear end was noticed. Upon inspection, by BMW dealership it was determined the rear subframe holding rear differential has separated from the body of the vehicle (spot weld failure). I was told it is extremely dangerous to drive and to fix immediately. Upon further research, this appears to be a very common problem with these vehicles. Higher displacement models are a higher occurrence due to creating more torque on the rear differential bracket. Mine is the M version which is almost a guaranteed failure.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Z3

I purchased a used 1998 BMW Z3 with the 1.9 liter engine on 10/14/2010 with 90564 miles. In mid November I took the car to a mechanic for a check engine light which was serviced. The mechanic informs me there is a problem with Z3's along with other model BMW's with the way the rear differential is attached. The problem seems to be flexing in the sheet metal where the differential is attached causing failure of the spot welds holding the whole assembly together. He showed me in my trunk where two of the six spot welds had broken. I have researched this on the different BMW forums and BMW is claiming this failure is due to performance modifications or cars that have been taken to a track or autocross. I do not know the previous history of my car but it appeared to have been taken care of. On 6/30/2011 I had the car in the shop again for service work and my mechanic found two more broken welds and some separation in the rear chassis. This car is pretty much un-drivable now due to this condition. I understand there is a couple of companies that make a repair kit for this that will strengthen the trunk area and prevent this from happening again.

- Victorville , CA, USA