ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.4

$1,330

2. replace heater core and radiator (8 reports)
  3. replace the heater core (1 reports)
2012 Chrysler 200 AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chrysler 200:

2012 Chrysler 200 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012017

200 LTD 3.2L V6

Passenger side blowing cold air. Same exact problem as complaint #31. It's hot on driver side far left and progressively gets colder to very cold on passenger side far right.

Dealer originally re-calibrated the actuators for $88. This did not fix the problem. Now they are telling me it's the heating core. My father said heating cores don't go at 50K miles. I'm not spending over a grand on something that might not fix the problem.

I wonder if it could possibly be the "air conditioning/ heater blower motor". This is listed as covered under my 7/70 Added Care Plus Warranty. I'm going to read through to see if anyone tried this.

God bless and God speed on this problem we're all having. :/

- Erin R., Freeport, NY, US

Apr 022018

200 Touring

On 4/2/2018 I had my car in the dealership with the heater issue. I only have 34,600 miles on it. I have owned this Chrysler 200 for 5 yrs. I also had the Mile One Elite coverage I purchased when I bought the vehicle in 2012 that was suppose to cover for 72 months or 72,000 miles. I am a 61 year old widow that bought this car with my husbands left over insurance after he passed. Bought a Chrysler because to my understanding it was a well made car.

For about 6 months I have heat on the drivers side but cold air blows from the vents on the passenger side!!! I wouldn't even have known this if I didn't have my granddaughter in the car and she asked me if I had the AC on.... In my Mile One 72,000 mile "ELITE" covering it states that the heater core is covered. After the dealership told me it was not covered and it would cost me approx. 1300.00 to repair, I called a rep from Mile One. After explain everything to him he told me to look at the "EXCLUSIONS". After reading through about a million exclusions, it pretty much told me that the heater core would be covered if it was leaking but not if it was blocked. WHAT A JOKE!!!! They are telling me that it was blocked by contaminated fluids. Really???

They can't tell me anything else. Then he mentioned that Chrysler put some kind of coolant in their radiators when manufacturing that when the owner takes the car to have the fluids checked, the technicians are just " topping the coolants off" with something that is not compatible to the coolant from the manufacturer, therefore gels up and corrodes the whole heating system. Don't you think it would be the manufacturer (CHRYSLER)who should be responsible have this problem fixed?????

And why do consumers buy these special extended warranties when there are a million different exclusions that makes them actually a big waste of hard earned money? THEY DON'T COVER ANYTHING!!!!!

- Jane V., WILKES BARRE, PA, US

Sep 012017

200

This issue is a hazard for visibility due to all of the car fogging up. The defrost barely works on the drivers side. The defrost must stay on at all times and does not work on passengers side. If the heat is on, it is very low temp and only works on the drivers side, the passenger side is cold as ice. Very disappointed because this car has very low miles.

- Leslie F., Anchorage, US

Jan 262018

200 Touring

I was getting an antifreeze smell when I would turn my heat on. I soon noticed that I wasn't getting any hot air on the passenger side of my vehicle, therefore it wouldn't clear my windows when I have ice/snow on them. My car stays cold inside. I live in a place we have cold weather 7-8 months out of the year and we get lake effect snow, which can total in amounts of over 200 inches per year. I have read online NUMEROUS complaints of this same issue and I am mortified that Chrysler hasn't made a recall to fix this problem. This could become a SERIOUS issue if I can't defrost my windows to be able to see when driving during these cold winter months. I also don't see why Chrysler expects us to pay out this amount of money for something they should fix if this is a problem with this vehicle.

Update from Feb 24, 2018: I was quoted $1200 to fix this heating issue by the dealership that sold me this vehicle. They said the heater core needed to be replaced. I am only getting warm air on the driver's side of my vehicle, cold air on the passenger side of my vehicle. The colder it gets outside, the worse it is. I live in a State that gets winter 7 months out of the year with temperatures that can get to 40 below. I need to be able to defrost the windows in my car to be able to see. This is definitely a hazard for driving and Chrysler needs to step up and do a recall and get this problem fixed. I see there are a lot of these same complaints with this make/model.

- Jean H., Negaunee, US

Jan 152017

200 S V6

forewarned, Last year sometime during January 2017 at about 41,000 miles, I noticed that my 2012 200 S passenger side never seemed to be warm enough. Then, I had the opportunity to ride as a passenger in my own vehicle. No wonder! The heat wasn't working right on the passenger side. The heat on the driver's side seems fine, but it gets progressively cooler each vent to the right. The far right passenger vent blows cold air. The colder it is outside, the worse the situation is. I took it to the dealership immediately because I have an extended warranty. They told me that my coolant (from the factory) had broken down, and the sludge was clogging the heater core. My warranty would not cover the repair because the dealership could not verify that the heater core was malfunctioning. The dealership apparently has a star report on this (meaning it is a well known and documented issue that affects the 2011s through the 2013s at minimum). The dealership's fix is to replace the heater core, coolant and radiator to the tune of $1500+. I of course said no way. I bought my own coolant and flushed the system myself with the assistance of a mechanic family member.

Fast forward to now. I now have 51,000 miles and the heat is still not working. Both hoses coming from the heater core are hot. This leads me to believe that the heater core is NOT blocked. I took it back into the dealership since my warranty runs out March 2018. They sat in the vehicle, turned on the heat, and immediately told me that the heater core was blocked. They NEVER looked under the hood or did ANY other diagnostic. I informed the dealership that I had already flushed the system and the hoses ARE hot. The heat just isn't coming through the vents. Alas, they DON'T care. I picked my car up tonight still with only half heat. I've bought a Chilton repair manual for my vehicle. I plan to do my own research and fix the problem myself given time, money, and a little tool wielding.

I love my car. But, this makes me regret buying the vehicle. This makes me wish that I wasn't in a MOPAR family or I would NEVER buy another MOPAR again. If any of you out there are interested in buying a Dodge Avenger, Chrysler 200, or end of run Chrysler Sebring, just don't. This isn't worth it. Do you research. All three of these models are having similar issues. If you are considering buying a vehicle that has had this issue "fixed," be forewarned. There are folks out there that have had the heater core, radiator, and fluids replaced, and the issue resurfaces several years later. This tells me that the PARTS and/or coolant is faulty from the factory. I've called Chrysler. They refuse to acknowledge an issue.

- Jennifer H., Shippensburg, PA, US

Dec 222017

200 Limited 3.2L V6

Heat stopped working on passenger side of car. Warm air quit blowing through passenger side air vents.

- Paula R., Waterloo, IL, US

Jan 112017

200 LX V6

Evidently there have been numerous complaints about this issue and Chrysler refuses to take ownership of it and fix the problem. Mechanics are profiting from this issue and not fixing the problem.

- Dianna S., Fort Smith, AR, US

Nov 222017

200 cyl 6

The manufacturer was aware that the fluid they used would cause this problem. There is a Star Case Document that was sent to the Car Dealer Ships, however they did not inform the consumers. Then they want to charge everyone for the repairs. I was given a estimate of $1,586.78 for a heater core replacement. So since they don't value their customers why should we buy their cars. Seems that the cost assessment the company did worked out in their favor not the consumers.

Update from Feb 16, 2018: Had heater core replaced at Lacey Used Auto Parts. Cost was $860.34 a savings of $726.34 quoted by the dealership.

- Frances S., TOMS RIVER, NJ, US

Dec 142015

200

I have a Chrysler 200, 2012. I am only getting heat on the driver side, cold on the pass side. I have had it to the dealer who flushed the line 3 times and sent me off stating the problem was fixed. No one can tell me for sure the problem. I live in Newfoundland where the winters are pretty bad, so I spent all this money on a car that I can only use in the summer. Pretty pissed. I keep hearing different things that the problem can be, is there someone out there that has had this problem and had it fixed before I spend all this money.

- newfiegf, Grnd-falls-wi, NL, Canada

Oct 162017

200 Limited V6 Flex

Hard to believe there is not a recall for this known problem. If I lived in the south I might not care but Wisconsin winters are somewhat brutal and it would be nice to have heat in my car. There is only lukewarm air out of the drivers side and gets colder each vent across to passenger side. Thankful the heated seats work yet sad I don't have the $1700 that everyone is saying that it takes to fix :(

- dkdonais, Cornell, US

Feb 082017

200 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

This is a very significant problem that Chrysler should have a recall fix on, as there are way too many of this year and model with this issue and the quote to just diagnose is expensive then the repairs are upward of $550 to start depending on which actual issue is the problem*RANT RANTRANT*

- Angela D., Indianapolis, US

Aug 082015

200 V6

The heat stopped working on passenger side in 2015. I've taken the car to many dealers but none can figure out the fix. Have wasted a lot of money on this issue. It should be recalled. About to spend another winter freezing but considering trading it in for something not Chrysler. If you are reading this and freezing - you're not alone. If you're reading this and considering buying - DON'T....when this many people have the same review, it's an issue you will encounter also.

- Canada C., Stratford, ON, Canada

Oct 162017

200 Limited 3.6L

The inoperative heat on the passenger side of the Chrysler 200 is apparently very well known, however I also have two Dodge Avengers that have the same problem, a 2008 RT (3.5 Litre) and a 2009 SXT (2.6 Litre). So what are the chances that three cars, all made by Chrysler/Dodge, would have the same problem. How does a recall get established?

- nspectre, Fairborn, OH, US

Mar 022017

200 S V6

I noticed the brown sludge on the radiator cap. I immediately made an appointment for service and reported it. I couldn't believe the complaints found on line about the same issue with this car - wow.. This was an easy $1200 repair, and luckily it was covered under our extended warranty. I did get charged for the deductible and flushing the system.. Gotta love that; they replace all the parts, but to fix it properly, the owner has to shell out money to flush the system; this crap shouldn't be in there in the first place!! I didn't put the wrong coolant or parts in, Chrysler did... I hope this repair lasts.

- Tony S., Bel Air, US

Jan 022017

200 LX 3,6 V6

I have a chrysler 2012 200 and i have heat on the driver siee bu't no heat on the passenger side. The dealer said that heater core was pluge . and they wanted 800 to 900 dollars to repair it . The car has 48000 miles on it. The dealer said that this is a common problem. I think chrysler should have a recall on this problem.

- George W., Newton Falls, US

Jan 272017

200 LX 2.4L

I own a 2012 Chrysler 200 and my wife had notice while we were on the way to work one morning that the vent was blowing cold air on her side it was about 20 degrees outside that morning she is Anemic and so its a very big problem.

- Alvin E., Durham, NC, USA

Feb 102017

200 LX

After this occurred, we researched and found that this is happening often with this model. My local mechanic would not even consider repairing mine after just repairing ANOTHER one last week. He can not believe that this sludge can develop in a car just 4 years old. He tried to investigate the source of the sludge and thinks it may have come from the castings of the assembled engine and the manufacturer not flushing and cleaning it out properly when assembling the vehicle. He was LIVID and said this SHOULD NOT HAPPEN!

- Adriana S., Howell, NJ, USA

Dec 152016

200 LX 3.6L

Second major repair for this 4 year old car. Last summer had to replace the alternator. Now, today when it is 2 degrees outside in Michigan, A/C is pouring out of the passenger side vents and it is lukewarm on my side. I was warned of this upcoming repair last summer. Chrysler needs to issue a recall!

- Theresa A., Davisburg, MI, USA

Oct 222016

200 Touring 3.6L V+

Back in 2013 under warranty lost heat on passenger side. Replaced heater core , water pump and radiator. Solved problem. 3 yrs later same thing happened. Not under warranty. Will not pay to have fixed. Will get rid of car in the summer and never buy a chrysler again... NEVER. Live in cold weather state. Sucks that there is no heat on passenger side and window will not defrost. Very dangerous.

- Larry S., Adell, WI, USA

Feb 012016

200 Touring V6

click to see larger images

heater doesn't work passenger side heater doesn't work passenger side

When I discovered the problem last winter, I ask my garage to fix it because there was no more heating on the passenger side. My garage went to the dealer and they said it should be something broken inside the dash that was blocking the vent (and the heat) to move to the passenger side. They estimated the repairs to be about $2700 so I decided not to repair at that time.

This winter (2017), the problem was getting worst and my windshield on the right side was not deicing properly so it became dangerous so I asked my own garage to repair it. So they had to open the dash completely and they found that nothing was broken in there. They decided to purge the cooling liquid in the heating system and they realized that the liquid was not circulating properly in the thermostat under the dash.

They took away the thermostat, opened it and realized that it was 3/4 blocked with a kind of glue that has accumulated there. So they changed that piece and everything is now working perfectly. The cost or the repair is $1831 (instead of $2700 because it is a private garage and not the dealer) and I find it is a lot of money for not normal deterioration. I was told that the problem is caused by a substance (some kind of glue) that Chrysler is putting in the cooling liquid to avoid the thermostat to break....I considered that a recall should be made for that problem because it is not a normal deterioration!

- Gaetan M., St-Lazare, QC, Canada