ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.0

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser:

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Owner Comments

Mar 202011

PT Cruiser Limited Edition 2.4L

I have been having this problem for years. Sometimes it goes off for awhile. I have put in so many oxygen sensors, but the codes keep showing up. I have had my computer flashed & just put in a catalytic converter. Last year I had to go through so much to try to get my car inspected. Finally, I had to get a waiver from NC Dept. of Motor Vehicles, which was really a hassle. the waiver is only good for one year. the check engine light went out for about 3 weeks. I took it to get it inspected, but NC said it was too early to get it inspected. Needless to say, it is back on & I'm going through everything, again. This is just not fair. My car doesn't smoke or anything.

- Babycayce J., Gibsonville, NC, US

Aug 222016

PT Cruiser Turbo

Check engine light came on intermittently, but went off after tightening gas cap. Light was on two wks prior to registration becoming due. Pep Boys diagnosed the problem as an oxygen sensor. Pep Boys (PB) agreed to fix and do the smog. One and one half weeks later, the car was still garaged and PB said work was done but engine light remained on. O2 sensors were again replaced, but engine light still on. After several days in the shop, PB said they couldn't fix the problem but would need to trailer the car (no tags) to Chrysler Dodge to have the engine reset. I was told today that Chrysler said that another problem showed up on diagnostic. This problem is in the transmission and they need to do a "solenoids wash", with possibly more serious (and expensive) work to follow. I'd like to know what in the heck a transmission problem has to do with emissions?

- jeang, Las Vegas, NV, USA