2015 Dodge Charger engine NHTSA complaints: Engine

NHTSA — Engine Problems

3.5

2015 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Dodge Charger:

2015 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Aug 032019

Charger

Premature failure of water pump and radiator...these two incidents happened during interstate travel causing the car to overheat leaving me stranded in unfamiliar territory. Vehicle is not driven on a daily bases this incident happened at 31000 miles

- Newark, DE, USA

May 222019

Charger

The contact owns a 2015 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the instrument panel was faulty and the gauges were inoperable. The contact also stated that she lost control of the vehicle and felt that the speed could not be controlled. The vehicle felt as if it would run off of the road. In addition, the check engine, traction control, and ABS indicators illuminated. The dealer and manufacturer were not contacted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 34,016.

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Apr 252019

Charger

Vehicle was at dealership (acadiana Dodge). After being there for nearly a month vehicle still hadn┐T been properly serviced. Passed words with service manager and they refused to complete service had to take vehicle to another dealership and pay another deductible. I purchased my vehicle from this dealership therefore I feel as if they should┐ve made it an priority to make sure my vehicle was safe to drive and that I was satisfied as an customer. They also listed services completed on invoice that hadn┐T been rendered. U do not trust dealerships. I feel as if I was discriminated on because if my gender and race and was completely taken advantage of. Pathetic!

- Franklin, LA, USA

Apr 252019

Charger

Attempted to start car and nothing happened when start was pushed. Lights and radio worked. Message on panel said press on brake and push start but still nothing happened. The lights on the gear shift began flashing red, the wipers began operation even though they were off. The key fobs would no longer work. I had to have the vehicle towed to a dealer, which stranded me 4 hours from home in 0 degree weather. The dealer could not get to it for 3 days and when they did- it started with no problem and no code errors came up. The dealership actually told me that they think it was due to the extreme cold temperatures. I guess Dodge can only be driven in a warm climate. Now it did it again last night. At least I was only 30 mins from home. I went back this morning and it started right up again but the engine light is on. This time it was 65 degrees. Something is terribly wrong with this vehicle. It seems from searching the internet that a lot of Chargers have this issue but there is no recall on my car to have it repaired.

- Carterville, IL, USA

Aug 012017

Charger

Takata recall. The seatbelt, once buckled, will not unfasten unless you repeatedly yank at the belt itself. There was repeated clicking in the engine and I could not exceed over 45mph. When the heat is turned on in the car the cool A/C blows on the drivers side of the car and when I tried to adjust the temperature on driver side of car I am unable to do that.

- Fort Bragg, NC, USA

Feb 012018

Charger

The contact owns a 2015 Dodge Charger. While starting the vehicle or while driving at unknown speeds, there was an abnormal ticking noise and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer (snethkamp Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram, 11600 telegraph rd, redford charter twp., mi 48239, (888) 455-6146) where it was diagnosed that the camshaft was worn, the lifter was the cause of the ticking noise, and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 105,535.

- Redford, MI, USA

Apr 102018

Charger 6-cyl

I started a uconnect system update while I was still parked. The disclaimer said nothing about to not update while driving. I started the update and started driving (my commute is about 25 minutes). It took about 10-15 minutes to download the update. Once it downloaded, the system reset. At this time I was in cruise control on a freeway that was ending, so I turned off my cruise control and then my car jolted forwarded as if it were in a very low gear and almost caused me to crash. I then was stuck in 1st gear while the system was rebooting and couldn't automatically or manually shift past 1st gear leaving me stuck on the side of the road. Then a screen popped up saying there was 50 minutes left on the update. I was stuck on the side of the road until the update finished. After that, my gears were shifting normally. During this time, I called Dodge and opened a case letting them know what happened. The picture I provided was a picture after I was already stopped on the side of the road. Updated 10/29/18

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 022018

Charger

The contact owns a 2015 Dodge Charger. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact heard a loud thumping noise from the front of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was taken to ourisman Chrysler Jeep Dodge of alexandria (5900 richmond hwy, alexandria, va 22303) where it was diagnosed that the struts and motor mount failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and referred the contact to a case manager to assist with her claim. The failure mileage was 36,124.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 062016

Charger

Upon arriving home after an 800 mile trip, (in the evening around 10:30 pm) when shifting into reverse to back into driveway, I experienced a complete ECU controller failure and everything went black. And engine died. After a few seconds it appears the computer rebooted itself and the dash came back up and the car restarted. It appears there is a real-time program bug in the car and the firmware needs to be investigated. Had this happened on the road, it would have cause a serious crash. I was then able to back into the driveway. No error code was posted! I believe that the realtime software is experiencing frame overruns and we know that causes runaway conditions like in the Toyota Camry. I believe the NHTSA should review every car firmware before release to insure spare time requirements are met and runaway conditions can not exist. (yes, I used to develop real time software for control systems)

- Deltona, FL, USA