ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems: totally integrated power module failure

Totally Integrated Power Module Failure

8.2

$920

1. replace TIPM (5 reports)
  2. replaced TIPM (4 reports)
  4. I have removed the floor matt. (1 reports)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Ram 1500:

2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 172017

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7ll

bas esp light, airbag light, traction control light, wipers won't work, won't lock doors, remote won't work, hvac wont work

- ftijerina, San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 192016

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

Chrysler refuses to recall a part that they KNOW is a major problem in numerous vehicles. TIPM is backordered for months, I have no truck. My business can not function without me having a truck and I have been without it for a month and there is no end in sight. RECALL the TIPM in the late model Chryslers already!!

- Josh L., Lees Summit, MO, USA

Nov 212016

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L V8

There is a problem with everything electrically related to the truck. The headlights stay on, I have to disconnect the battery to get them to go off. The windshield wipers constantly remain on. The interior lights, door locks, windows, seats, heat, A/C, radio, dash lights, etc do wnot work. Once the truck starts, all of the dash warning lights come on. (check engine, ABS, low windshield wiper fluid, voltage, low oil pressure, etc) The truck is not safe to drive and is a hazard to my family.

- oifvet03, Grayson, KY, USA

May 092016

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

This issue has left me stranded 3 times now. TIPM is drawing 4A with the vehicle off. I now have to disconect my battery any time I park it for too long and have to charge the battery every night just to make sure I can drive to work. I have no wipers, my back windows don't work, locks don't work, no AC fan, no park assist, no traction control, no ABS, only drivers door can control the 2 working windows, and power mirrors.

This has been hell to drive in spring in MO, its been rain and high humidity for this whole week and I am stuck with RainX and sweating and having to disconnect/reconnect the battery every time I park it. Then the part is on back order for god knows how long?!?! I think Chrysler needs to admit there is a problem, why else would they show 9 TIPMs for 2009 being installed a day according to my dealer!!?!?

- Jon M., New Haven, MO, USA

Jun 152013

Ram 1500 Lareme 5.7L

Because of the problem locks, wipers, heat. Can't drive it until it warms up. I know sooner or later there will be a total failure. If it happens while driving, who knows what will happen.

- Wayne W., Whitman, USA

Jan 082016

Ram 1500 Larimie 5.7L

Dealership informed me that electrical problems were related to a failed TIPM. I had the vehicle repaired just three weeks ago for over $200 dollars and now find the problem was related. Dealer states they found over 15 codes when they checked the diagnostics. Failures included wipers, heater fans, cooling fans, traction control, 4wd control, transfer case, heated seats, heated starting wheel, outside temp, airbag failure and probably others that he didn't state. Over $1000.00 to fix something that the manufacture knows is a problem is outrageous not to mention what has been noted as a safety issue numerous times.

- armysfcret, Congress, AZ, USA

Dec 142015

Ram 1500 TRX 5.7L V8

This started as intermittent stalling of the engine at low speeds, when coming to a stop. I assumed the truck needed new spark plugs, so I bought and installed 16 new OE spark plugs. I really expected this to fix the stalling, but it had no effect on it. This continued for another week or so, then the unexpected happened.

One day when I was going to run into town I tried to unlock this truck with the key fob. The lights would flash, but the doors would neither lock nor unlock with the fob. I manually unlocked the door with the key and started the truck. The idiot lights for the traction control system and the air bag system were both illuminated...weird, huh.

Well, when I tried to lock the doors for the drive I noticed that the power door locks weren't working. Neither were the power windows, the horn, windshield wiper or sprayer system, or the HVAC system. This was so strange and puzzling that I Googled the symptoms this was presenting and bam........TIPM. Totally Integrated Power Module. The nasty little secret that Fiat/Chrysler is trying to dodge and claim all is well. Well, I'm about to buy a TIPM module and install it in hopes of fixing this. I REFUSE to let my wife drive this truck in its current state.

Chrysler doesn't care about this precious woman, but I do. I will foot the bill for this repair, but I hope and pray that Fiat/Chrysler is held accountable for this and I hope injuries and deaths due to this stalling do not start accumulating.

We bought this truck new in 2009, trading in another Dodge truck. Dodge was in terrible financial woes then and I bought one of their products, hoping to held one of the Big 3 automakers and get a quality product in exchange for my hard earned money. Well, I held up my end of the deal, how about you do the same Dodge.

- texasharleyboy, Mineola, TX, USA

Dec 092015

Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7L

We had many problems in 2014 when it would not release key fob (key) from ignition. And now we had it towed because it would not turn over vehicle. Could not crank engine. Sitting in my drive way collecting dust.

- Rich F., Milton, FL, US

Aug 082015

Ram 1500 ST REG CAB 4X2 3.7L

Crash occurred Sat pm. Now Monday 9:00 am, starting with insurance company then going to dealership where oil check up was performed Friday (I wonder if resetting codes had anything to do with this?). I picked vehicle up Sat am started and stopped vehicle aprox 4 times Saturday. I had it in park with engine running to close gate when I put it in gear it took off, I went through a barbed wire fence and traveled about 100 feet stalling it in between a tree and brush. Broke drivers side mirror, damaged quarter panel and door, broke drivers side lens cover on head light, scratched up drivers side of truck.

Update from Aug 19, 2015: I have sense learned that the fuel pump is powered by the PCM power control module not the TIPM unit, and it is not possible for a unintentional acceleration event to occur due to the TIPM module. I am attributing my event to either the floor matt jamming the accelerator peddle.

- David M., Ft. Scott, KS, USA

Apr 012015

Ram 1500 Larime 5.7L

This is the same problem I had a year ago. Once again the blinkers, horn, heater, seat warmers, door locks, and wipers are not working. I hate this truck and the dealer won't admit there's a problem. It's going to cost me another grand just to be able to go trade the junk in. They can't even find a TIPM in stock anywhere.

- Paul T., Grand Ledge, MI, USA

May 262014

Ram 1500 LoneStar 5.7L Hemi

Apparently, Dodge knows that the TIPM is a faulty device and are refusing to do anything about it. Sounds like they are not any better than GM. Do we have to go to foreign manufacturers to get a quality product?

- mbrewing, Kyle, TX, USA

Nov 202013

Ram 1500 SLT 5.8L V8

The dealer said it was fine after they pulled it inside. I told them set it outside till after lunch. Guess what? It started having the same problem. Day 1

Day 2 they didn't even call me. But his was supposed to be an hour fix I was told.

Day 3 I called at 11:00 am, I was told they were letting it sit outside till after lunch. I called back at 4:45 pm Told it was doing it again

Day 4 They did not call again!

Day 5 I called again at 11:00 am, guess what, they think they have it figured out ($1200 tipm replacement but I'm not paying that). Setting it outside again till after lunch. Of course no call and they closed till Monday.

Day 6 Saturday I called the dealer, flipped out, and told them get my truck! I was told it don't run, the TIPM is pulled out. and no one will be in service till Monday

Well, I said shove it out in the parking lot I will put it back in. 3 bolts and 4 plugins. I made it there in 15 minutes. Guess what, it was sitting in the lot ready to go.

I will not take it to BAUMANN AUTO GROUP ever again!

JUST SELL THE LEMON AND BUY ANYTHING ELSE BUT DODGE/CHRYSTLER IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO BE THE SOLUTION!

- ruckusrohio, Bellevue, OH, USA

Jan 312012

Ram 1500 SLT

Dodge has a problem with TIPM and they know it. They are charging big bucks for this repair. A recall is needed.

- Randy L., Marston, NC, USA