1.7

2008 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford F-150:

2008 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 012017

F-150

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle the odor of exhaust fumes were present inside the cabin of the vehicle. Also while idling the vehicle would rattle and shake. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic who discovered a crack in the exhaust manifold. The cause of the crack was not determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The local dealer joe machens Ford(807 southwest blvd, jefferson city mo). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000. Jft

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jun 062018

F-150 8-cyl

2008 Ford F-150. Consumer writes in regards to engine failure. The consumer stated the vehicle engine would misfire and lacked power. The engine assembly was replaced.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 062015

F-150

The engine 5.4 Triton makes a sound that resembles a diesel and sounds like the piston is about ready to come through the block. I first experienced this approx. 3 years ago while at a drive through fast food restaurant. I immediately turned off the engine. I then restarted and the noise had stopped. The motor now still has the same issue, and after reading many forums stating the same conditions, decided to call Ford directly. The response from Ford was they know about the issue on these types of motors, but are not issuing a recall for the fix. The issue is apparently related to a know cam, timing chain issue that has to have the gears and timing chain replaced. At the owners expense of approx. 800-1200M dollars per side on this type of V8 motor. I recommend that Ford needs to do a recall on these, and fix the known issue, thus creating further purchases from consumers for future purchases of their product. If you are in doubt of this issue, just type in your search engine, 2008 Ford F150 loud knocking noise while idling, and sit back and read until you are tired of reading. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Thank you.

- Eagle Rock, MO, USA

May 012016

F-150

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. While driving at unknown speeds, the vehicle hesitated. Also, the check engine and ABS warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who informed the contact that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The local dealer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Hutto, TX, USA

Dec 182017

F-150

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. While driving 50 mph, the engine failed and the check engine indicator illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a local dealer (auto nation of panama city, 1730 w 15th St, panama city, fl 32401) and was informed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue and did not assist. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Freeport, FL, USA

Aug 232017

F-150

When the brake is depressed the engine accelerates (never know when this is going to happen). I have had three instances over the total 8 years (first owner). All three times the brakes are ineffective in stopping the vehicle. Two times backing out of my driveway (afraid that the truck would cross over my road and hit neighbor's vehicles or home. Once it occurred at a all stop intersection. In most cases I had to take the truck out of drive to stop it. I'm afraid it is going to cause serious issue with life and property. There are nine other reported cases of this happening on 2008 F-150 vehicles see website for the nine reported cases ( M.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2008/engine/unintended_acceleration.shtml). I think there is an issue with the throttle body sticking but have no idea. I checked Ford and there is no known recall for this issue. So far no injuries or destruction of property has occurred with me but some of the nine other cases has occurred. Would greatly appreciate your help so there are no fatalities regarding this issue.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Aug 162017

F-150

Engine stumbles and loses of power on slight incline.

- Carriere, MS, USA

May 192017

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle shook without warning. The vehicle was towed to a certified mechanic who diagnosed that the sparks plugs were fractured at the bottom tip and went through the engine. The engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer stated that there were no recalls and advised the contact to call NHTSA. The failure mileage was 140,000. Updated 08/29/17

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Nov 012016

F-150

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. The contact heard a loud noise coming from the motor and the spark plug suddenly blew out. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who stated that the failure occurred due to the aluminum heads and the threads were worn and fractured, which caused them to detach. The contact had the vehicle's heating coils threaded in the head cover; however, the failure recurred. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic again who stated that the heating coil blew out and damaged the head cover. The mechanic stated that the head cover needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and opened case number: 12284440. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Feb 232017

F-150

Bought my truck without knowing that it has a common is with the exhaust manifold leak. It is real bad where the fumes get in the cab of truck when it first starts up this issue has lead to other health issues for

- Bondurant, IA, USA

Apr 092017

F-150

When the truck is under 1000rpm and at normal operating temperature, it begins to knock like a diesel and shake violently. This is only remedied by turning the truck off or reving the engine over 2000 RPM. The check engin light never comes on and at all other times the truck drives normally. This had begun to happen more frequently, including at red lights, my truck has only 78,000 miles

- Moore, OK, USA

Mar 022016

F-150

When the truck is under 1000rpm and at normal operating temperature, it begins to knock like a diesel and shake violently. This is only remedied by turning the truck off or reving the engine over 2000 RPM. The check engin light never comes on and at all other times the truck drives normally. This had begun to happen more frequently, including at red lights, posing a danger to anyone driving the truck. Diagnosis has taken three mechanics including a Ford dealership who is still not 100% certain the issue since there is no check engin light or other issues.

- Washington Crossing, PA, USA

Jul 272016

F-150

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. While coming to a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the camshaft phaser failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Apr 072015

F-150

The contact owns a 2008 Ford F-150. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle lost oil pressure and stalled. The contact coasted the vehicle to the side of the road and was able to restart and resume driving. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the low oil pressure caused the engine to fail. The engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not available.

- Mt Pulaski, IL, USA

May 092016

F-150

Radiator and thermostat - I have had to replace 4 radiators in my Ford F250 truck and the vehicle only has 125,000 miles. This is a known defect from Ford and they have done nothing to protect their customers. I have been stranded 3 times as a result of this defect with my children in the car.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 172016

F-150

I have been advised by the local phil long Ford dealership service department that my truck needs the cam phasers replaced to fix the problems I am experiencing. I have seen that this is a "very" common problem with the 5.4 engine and Ford has retired this engine from their vehicles do to the failures and it has been known by Ford since the 2003 models and yet they continued to sell a known faulty engine. They should pay to have these engines repaired and not the consumers. This is in Colorado springs, co and the problems is still intermittent at this time.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 052016

F-150

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016, while driving 45 miles per hour, on a 2 lane, back country, road my Ford F150, that had 114,376 miles began to clank and rumble up under the hood. The noise made the vehicle vibrate as the noise got louder so I pulled off of the road and popped the hood. There was smoke, clicking and clanking on top of the right side of the engine so I turned the vehicle off. I called my insurance and asked to be towed to a Ford dealership 5 miles away. The truck was still drive-able but smoking and clanking. The next morning I learned #2 spark plug had loose stripping threads in the cylinder head and the coil cracked from the plug blowing out. The plug and boots had to be replaced. Replaced the #2 coil and the dealer had to extract the broken spark plug cylinder #2. the parts, supply, and labor cost was $1292.24. I have had large V8 engine, vehicles all of my life with 200,000 miles or more on the engine but never any spark plug issues with high mileage on both spark plug and other vehicle engine parts. If I had continued to drive my truck it surely would have ignited causing more damage or injury. The spark plug issues with Ford need to be addressed. I purchased this truck in December 2013 with 81,160 and had no problems for 2 years, 4 months. At no time should spark plugs blow up or out unless they are defective parts or plugs not suitable to be transfixed into the cylinder or engine. Driver safety is at risk.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 052016

F-150

On April 5, 2016, while driving my 2008, F150, Triton, 4.6, about 45 mph, on a two lane, back country road, a sudden rattling and popping noise occurred. I immediately pulled over, popped the hood, whereas smoke and the rattling noise continued. I turned off the engine and had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership 5 miles away. I have 113,600 miles on my vehicle and purchased it from a carmax dealer in December 2013, with 81,160 miles, having experienced (no problems thus far). I was told by the Ford dealership that my #3 sparkplug had caused the mechanical issue and all plugs needed replacing. Additionally replacement of right side engine issues resulted from not having done the 100000 mile tune up (bull). It had been tuned up previous to being sold. After using choice words towards the dealer and advising him of my ownership of 3, larger V8 engines, no sparkplug explosions had ever occurred in my life. All my former vehicles with the exception of my 2008 F150 had never experience such sparkplug explosion issues and these vehicles reached close and over 200,000 miles. My vehicle is still under warranty but does not cover this issue, nor was the Ford manufacture helpful in assisting with this matter. The total cost for repairs is $1295, and my fight with Ford has just begun.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Nov 022015

F-150

My vehicle has a bad miss in motor, have had all plugs/wires replaced to no avail. Data link still says misfire on #3. have to drive slow up hills if drive at normal speed check engine lights up. No one seems to know whats wrong, even major dealerships. Need help on this, have talked to multiple people that are havint the same issue. I have alerted Ford to this and they have been no help at all. This needs to be a recall. It happens mostly when driving at normal speeds going down the highway. Sometimes it misses sitting still. It is a FX4 as well.

- Scooba, MS, USA

Mar 102016

F-150

Spark plug blew out in a crowded store parking lot, ' braking the coil. A fire could have resulted if coil had not broke. The gas fumes were strong. I thought it was gasket problem and continued to drive to my mechanic's shop.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA