2011 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems: rear window shattered

Rear Window Shattered

2011 Ford F-150 (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.9

$620

1. replace full back glass (18 reports)
  3. replace window (2 reports)
  4. tape up window (1 reports)
2011 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-150:

2011 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 222019

F-150

Here we are 3 1/2 years later and the same problem happened. While driving 2011 Ford F150 rear window shattered.

- L A., Billerica, MA, US

Apr 172018

F-150 XLT 5.3L V8

While driving one chilly morning, my wife and I decided to turn on the rear defrost and the heat in our Ford F-150 XLT. Within minutes, the rear window shattered and left us overwhelmed and nervous. We didn't know what happened and my wife was afraid someone had shot a gun at us.

When I pulled the truck over to examine the damage, I noticed that the window had actually shattered and blown OUTWARD, indicating that no one had shot at us or thrown anything, but instead, that the rear defrost had likely caused the glass to shatter.

We strongly feel that this manufacturers defect should be corrected by FORD at their own expense. However, if FORD does not stand behind their product and appreciate their loyal customers, we most certainly will NEVER buy another FORD product as long as we live!

- Pastor Demetric C., Columbus, OH, US

Dec 242017

F-150 FX4 Ecoboost V6

From all the complaints that I have read I believe FORD has a definite problem with the rear window defrost and should be held accountable My window shattered after turning on my defrost for the rear window passenger side just like everyone else

- Gerald R., Quincy, US

Dec 042017

F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8

click to see larger images

rear window shattered

Going to work at 10:30pm ,was about 1 mile from home heard a loud bang , i got to work and walked around my truck no body damage . Looked at the back glass it seemed to have ice on it . Upon further inspection the glass was shattered .It looks like the defroster migth have caused it. 760.00 to fix with new and about 605.00 with used part .Ford needs to see this as a problem and address the issue .

- John W., Morgantown, WV, US

Dec 182017

F-150 Lariat

Rear window shatters for no apparent reason. Was told it rear defroster goes out, window will shatter a few days later. I did notice the rear defroster was out a few days before the window shattered. Very scary to have your back window shatter and fall out. Ford is well aware of this happening and should pay. Lot of money to have repaired when it's not the owners fault.

- Michelle K., Green Bay, US

Mar 202016

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

* This is the second time I'm faced with replacing my rear window! *

I activated my rear defrost as I had many times since my replacement window. The indicator light began blinking. Found that odd, it has never happened before. A few miles later...BAM...rear window AGAIN shatters! The exact same scenario...

I went to my local Ford dealership, in person, the following morning. Of course now, out of warranty with 62,000 miles, Ford wasn't so helpful. I have to admit, the collision center employee was very nice and attempted all she could to help get the replacement covered, however, it was not successful. Out the door and out of pocket cost quote just under $800.00. I contacted Ford customer service, and again, the woman was very nice, but stated they could not offer any additional help.

A side note: Ford offered to pay around $300.00 for labor. So to be clear the entire job would cost approximately $1,100.00 and I would be responsible for just under $800.00.

THIS IS A SAFETY CONCERN AND SHOULD BE A RECALL! At minimum Ford should own up for their mistake and replace it for their loyal customers. This is not a wear and tear issue. This is a function of the vehicle that should work properly! This is not user error or misuse!

- scoutjefferson, Egg Harbor Township, NJ, US

Oct 182013

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

October 18, 2013 -

While driving, I activated my rear defrost, a short time later I heard a loud thump. Initially, I thought someone had thrown a rock at my rear window. I pulled over and discovered that a portion of my rear window had shattered. The glass, luckily, is tempered and remained fairly intact. I "Googled" my issue and discovered many other Ford F-150 owners experienced the same scenario.

I contacted my local Ford dealership the following day. They had me bring my vehicle in and wrote up a claim. Took numerous photographs and stated this was not the first time they had encountered this problem. I was one of the lucky ones and they were able to put it through under warranty. I got an OEM replacement rear window with the defrost.

Fast forward to the date of March 20, 2016

Unbelievable...

I went to my local Ford dealership, in person, the following morning. Of course now, out of warranty with 62,000 miles, Ford wasn't so helpful. I have to admit, the collision center employee was very nice and attempted all she could to help get the replacement covered, however, was not successful. Out the door and out of pocket cost quote just under $800.00. I contacted Ford customer service, and again, the woman was very nice, but stated they could not offer any additional help.

- scoutjefferson, Egg Harbor Township, NJ, US

Feb 022016

F-150 3.5L Ecoboost

I have the same issue as the many people on here and have ran into many more just in my area that have the same problem. The passenger side rear back portion f my glass shattered with a loud bang that nearly had me driving off of the intestate. Thank the lord my kids were not in the back seat because slivers of glass were all in the seat. The window did not fall out and I was able to tape it up so it would not fall out. $600 dollar estimated fix. I have the power center window and rear defrost. The defrost starts blinking and stopped working. It was not long after that that it shattered. Why has ford not taken any of the crap this vehicle is putting out and correcting the problem. Are they just a piece of sh*t company? I am starting to think so. Honor you crappy construction and fix the problems.

- Scott L., Thompsons Station, TN, US

Feb 282016

F-150 XLT 5.7L

Just like everyone else that had this problem...turned on the rear defroster, loud bang, no window. This isn't normal and its loud enough I actually ducked. I have an appointment with the dealer but I'm not confident Ford is going to accept responsibility. I received quotes as high as $800 but truly this is an issue with the tempering of the glass or a power surge either way Ford should step up.

- mr.mikey007, Canton, MI, US

Dec 222015

F-150

Driving down the highway, flick on the defrosters because you know its December and it gets icy! I hear this loud BANG like someone had just fired a small gun inside the truck! It scared the living hell out of my 2 year old, my Mother, and myself.. I pulled over only to discover my very back passenger side window facing the bed had burst!! It did not fall out but the glass is shattered! WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!?!? and then I go on to do some research and find ALLL kinds of complaints! People we need to pull together and attack Ford so they can fix this problem at their cost! this is absurd that its not covered under ANYTHING so its a straight out of pocket cost! there goes 1000$ with parts and labor MERRY FREAKING CHRISTMAS to us!~ so bummed!!!!!!

- Sarah M., Kittanning, PA, US

Dec 102015

F-150 Lariat 3.5L V6

Back power slider (pass. side) shattered after turning on the defroster, Ford won't cover it,(of coarse) .

Just turned it into in insurance company.

Ford dealer said they have seen 4 or 5 of these, not only 2011 F-150s

Thanks for the support Ford, just let the insurance pay for it.

All Service Glass coming Monday, 12/14/15 to replace it, great service by them!

- Lee A., Paulding, Ohio, US

Nov 122015

F-150 XLT 3.5L

Same problem as a lot of other folks, hit the back defrost and bam the one of the back windows shattered. Add to this the 2011 has an extremely difficult job of dropping the back seat to replace the window and motor! I worked on it for a couple of hours and couldn't get the back seat to come off. I had to take it to a collision shop because the standard glass shop wouldn't deal with anything that had a seat belt involved. $200 down and it seems like Ford is not in the mindset to fix their engineering mistake.

- Brian R., Faifax Station, VA, US

Sep 282015

click to see larger images

rear window shattered rear window shattered rear window shattered

Faulty Rear Defogger caused the rear window to shatter...We have cap on the back, so the cap needed to be removed and the back seat needed to be removed. Prior to 2014, the seats don't come out easy, after that date, there is a lever that releases the seats...

Comprehensive car insurance paid for the window..

- L A., Billerica, MA, US

Jul 032015

F-150 XLT Ecoboost 6 cyl

I have owned Ford trucks for over 30 years and have never encountered this problem before last week. I went out to my 2011 F150, that was parked in my private driveway, to go to town. I opened that driver's door, turned the truck on and closed my door. As soon as I closed the door the rear window shattered into a million pieces and fell out. The window was not cracked, chipped, etc... I was so stunned that I didn't think to video or take a picture.

I called my local dealership and spoke to the service manager, Sam Galloway Ford, who was absolutely no help. I then went online and found your site and that is when I found out that I am not the only one that has had this problem. I feel Ford Motor Company needs to address this issue so that they can keep their loyal customers. I have gone on Ford Motor Company's site and submitted a complaint, I hope to hear from them and that they offer answers and hopefully reimbursement for the cost of the replacement window $391.04.

- lcutler, north fort myers, FL, US

Apr 152015

F-150 FX4 5.0L V8

Driving kids to school heard a loud pop wasn't sure what it was and one of the kids noticed rear passenger back window shattered. Asked around and it will cost about a 1000 dollars to fix, so it is just taped up for now. Before this happened the rear defrost was working on and off.

- Dwayne M., Peace River, AB, Canada

May 122015

F-150 Lgt Convtnl f

Ford knows this is a problem and ongoing and nothing is being done about it. It should be a recall and paid for by Ford not the consumer.

- Marten W., Toledo, OH, US

Jan 072015

F-150 King Ranch Eco Boost V6

I have had to replace my three piece back window twice within two years. Seems to happen in the winter only, when the vehicle is parked, not driven both times. It happened the first time under regular warranty. Second time under extended. Now what happens when my full warranty is done? I think it should be a recall or find another window supplier.

- cjprkth, Sudbury, Ontario, canada

Feb 282015

F-150 FX4 V8

Went to grocery early morning 2/28/15, temp approx 12 F. Pulling in lot, heard loud bang and noticed right away that rear window glass on passenger side had shattered. Lower left corner appeared to be starting point. Began search for replacement but being Saturday not much luck since it included power slide and tint. Parked until replacement could be installed.

Sunday morning I noticed an orange "rusty water" discoloration about the size of a dime at the point where I suspected the break started. It looks like water has migrated into the glass edging. The temperature was well below freezing that night and when the interior began to warm it may have expanded while thawing which caused overpressure on the glass. Monday I called Ricart Ford, Columbus Ohio, where I purchased the vehicle.The first person I talked to in service said this was the second call she had received recently about rear glass shattering on F150 and said she thought it was strange to get two calls for same issue so close together. Second person I talked to in service dept, Adam, checked for recalls and found none and also informed me that even though I purchased the premium warranty coverage the glass was not covered. He checked availability of replacement glass and told me it was $1400.00 plus labor and recommended I look for aftermarket, possibly Safelite. I called A1 Auto Glass in Portsmouth Ohio, gave them the VIN and within 5 minutes was able to schedule an appointment to have a direct replacement installed for $460.00.

Ford should get on top of this before someone is injured. Too many complaints already for this not to be a flaw. A recall should be issued or at least offer to replace the window at a Ford dealer for a reasonable cost, not $1400 plus labor!

- bcoxovec, McDermott, OH, US

Feb 022015

F-150 Platinum 3.5L V6

It dropped below zero last night. Let the truck run for awhile, didn't notice anything until I picked the kids from school and was making sure they had seat belts on. Passenger back window ,just like the other pics on this website, shattered.

- Eric R., West Des Moines, IA, US

Dec 232014

F-150 FX4x4 Ecoboost

WENT FOR LUNCH TODAY, DRIVING OUT OF THE PARKING LOT AND THE RIGHT REAR WINDOW SHATTERED, WITHOUT ANYTHING TOUCHING IT. HEARD A NOISE LIKE A GUNSHOT AND LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND ACTUALLY SAW IT SHATTER. POINT WHERE IT STARTED IS IN THE BOTTOM LEFT CORNER. TEMP OUTSIDE WAS 0 DEGREE CEL. THIS IS BULL SH*T, POWER AND HEATED.

- Ron K., Winnipeg, MB, canada