ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.0

$1,880

2. replacement of ford's systemic defective epas system (6 reports)
  3. replace power steering pump (2 reports)
2013 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford F-150:

2013 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Sep 142018

F-150 XL 5.0L

Seems like a very serious issue that you find out when it happens to you. I was lucky. Happened on startup and I was not driving down the highway or entering a curve. Was quoted a fix cost of estimated $1,800.00. If 14's are having the same issue, why are 13's not being included. Have lost faith in the safety of my truck.

- Gene B., Chanute, US

Sep 012018

F-150 XLT 3.5L V6

Bought a used 2013 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost. Not even 1 month down the road and the low battery light came on, followed by service advance trac and hill descent control. My power steering got very hard to control to the point where I couldn't turn. Then all my lights go out and my truck just shut off with a burning rubber smell. First off, I went to buy a brand new battery. Then not even 2 minutes down the road it all happens AGAIN!!!!! Weird how my truck would tell me my battery is bad then 10 mins later shut off all my steering. I think that is something Ford has to do something about after reading all these people with the same thing happening. Truck was towed back to the shop today. Will update as soon as I get a word.

- Elias F., Council Bluffs, US

Jun 072018

F-150 FX2 3.2L V6

For a few days, a "Service Advance Trac" message was coming on intermittently, followed by failure of my turn signal to lock on a blinking mode (i.e. had to hold the turn signal arm manually to effect a blink). But, as I was backing my trailer with SeaDoos into it's spot in the drive, my power steering failed with a "Power Steering Help Failed" message. This could've been tragic if it had happened 10 minutes earlier when I was pulling on the freeway in rush hour traffic.

Towed to dealer next morning and was told parts alone would be $2,000. I know there are those who say never buy extended warranties because they're a rip-off, but my premium extended warranty covered this parts and labor fix... also covered a rental car for duration of shop time. Ford Motor Co., fix this problem!!! Recall any and all years with this failure popping up repeatedly with owners.

- John K., Los Alamitos, US

Mar 302018

F-150 XLS V8

Stay away from the Ford F150. Driving from an oil change, the power steering went out. Luckily I was close to the dealership and limped over. They got it right in and found the advance trac light was on and diagnosed it as needing a new EPAS. $1900!!! In addition, they said I may need new ball joints once they start taking things apart.

This is ridiculous. I've NEVER had a problem with power steering failure in all the cars and trucks I've owned over the years. If Ford had a recall of 2014 trucks with the same problem, why not this year? If anyone with a 2013 is interested in filing a class action suit against Ford, let me know. I'd be more than happy to be a part of it!

No more Fords for me.

- Robert S., Durham, ME, US

Feb 102018

F-150

click to see larger images

power steering failed power steering failed power steering failed

We purchased this 2013 Ford F-150 pickup on 10/23/17 for our 18 year old son for college. He was driving 2008 Scion TC sedan. We wanted him to be in something safer. On February 10th or 11th of 2018 my 18 year old and 15 year old were going down a very busy highway and the steering locked up pulling them to the left and causing them to go into the center median. A county deputy was driving by and saw this and thought they were driving wreckless. He pulled behind them in the median and asked them what the problem was, that driving that way was considered wreckless driving. My boys proceeded to tell him that the steering locked up and the 18 year old could not control the truck. He let them go, and the boys turned engine off and back on and the problem was gone. After reading all the complaints and near accidents, I believe this issue NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED!! Ford needs to fix this!!

Update from Feb 23, 2018: On February 19, 2018 my 18 year old son was driving on a curve county road at 30 miles per hour upon approaching the curve he turned wheel to the left and the steering locked up again. Unfortunately this time it caused him to lose control and he slid into a chain link fence with metal pipe and crashed.

The truck has major damage, the pipe from the fence merely scraped my sons head after coming through the windshield and going out the passenger window. He suffered major bruising, concussion, and of course traumatized him. The truck is pretty close to totalled. And the steering is STILL LOCKED TO THE LEFT.

My husband called Ford Motor Company on Tuesday February 20,2018 and given a case number. They assured him that he would hear back from him and asked him to hold off on contacting our Insurance Company, as they would be here at our home on Friday February 23, 2018. Said they would call or email him on time that they would be here to review the truck. Still NO WORD!!

I WANT THIS ISSUE ADDRESSED AND MY SON COMPENSATED... I WANT A RECALL DONE ON THESE STEERING PROBLEMS... TOO MANY HAVE BEEN REPORTED... WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE?? A FAMILY KILLED OR OTHERS?? My youngest son was with my 18 year old son just 5 minutes before the accident. HAD HE BEEN IN THAT TRUCK IT WOULD HAVE KILLED HIM OR INJURED HIM SERIOUSLY !!!!! WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO GET THIS RECALLED???

- Jacque B., Odessa, Tx, US

Jul 012017

F-150 XLT 5.0L

2013 F150 at 43,000 miles. Electric power steering (the steering rack) failed possibly due to pump. The steering went from fine to very hard to turn within 2 weeks. Cost $1,700 dollars.

- drinkwater, Kennesaw, US

Jul 092017

F-150 XL 3.7L V6

I just purchased a 2013 Ford F-150 XL extended cab with the 3.7 liter V6 / 6 speed automatic / 4X2. The steering felt odd to me when test driving it, but it wasn't obvious to me that there was a problem. This is the first full sized truck I've owned. I drove the truck about 25 miles home from the dealership, and the steering became more and more heavy....and at one point....quite hard to turn. I'm a 43 year old guy and I'm in pretty decent shape, and I was really surprised how much harder it became. Once I got home, I went to check the power steering fluid, and I found out that the truck has electric power steering. I went online to research the issue, and there are forum after forum and websites (like this one) listing that Ford basically is not taking responsibility for the poor quality / design of this power steering system. Since I just bought the truck a couple days ago, I'm sure that the dealer will fix it under New York State law. I also tow a travel trailer, so it's imperative that the steering works exactly as it should. Come on Ford!....get your act together and do the right thing! Recall these best selling trucks and make American products what they used to be. I sincerely hope one of your loved one's isn't driving when this failure occurs during worst case scenario circumstances.

- Randy S., Palmyra, US

Apr 132017

F-150 XLT 5.0L

Dash Warning said HILL DESCENT CONTROL FAULT , SERVICE ADVANCE TRACK, POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT. turn signal failure occurred at the same time, not sure if related but likely in my opinion.

expensive fix and has occurred twice in the past 8 months. Quickly unconverting a Ford Family

- Randy A., Mansfield, US

Jan 302017

F-150 Lariat 5.0L

Very costly repair of vehicle that is highly maintained. Discouraging to read up on this since the occurrence, only to find it has been a widespread problem known for a long time. Ford continues to sit on their hands, fingers crossed, and not address it. There were no warning indicators or tell tale signs of impending failure. God forbid someone of lighter frame had this happen to them.

- Jeffrey W., Derry, NH, US

Dec 252016

F-150 LS 3,5 Eco Boost

On 12-15-1016 took my maid and gardner home as I do every sunday. Steep hill coming down from their home. Power steering quits. I thought that the motor had died as I was going so slow. Realized that motor still running. Noticed that Dash Warning said HILL DESCENT CONTROL FAULT , SERVICE ADVANCE TRACK, POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT. 1/2 block later turned on turn signal but turn signal would not stay on

Purchased truck new in Minnesota being sure to let dealer that I drive 2850 miles each year to my home in Huatulco Mexico. Called dealer service department they informed me that there was a service update on the Trucks computer and to bring it in. I explained that I was 2850 miles away and in Mexico. Did not think I could drive that far without power steering plus the steering did not feel right (truck felt like steering floating)

Had local Ford dealer look at they told me the truck needs a new Power Steering Column E- Pass. If I understand their Spanish. Truck is used for light duty but has pulled 5th wheel for 1100 miles ( shows up on dash when plug in trailer) Very disappointed as I just put in $600.00 on other repairs this last summer

HELP

- overby, Watertown, SD, US

Nov 152016

F-150 XLT 3.7L V6

When starting my car this morning I got a warning of power steering failure. I checked fluid it was full. After turning engine off and on several times it resolved the issue.

- Doug H., Anna, TX, USA

Sep 172016

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

pretty much says it all. I own 3 Ford's and have been a loyal Ford owner for over 30 years. The company should be better than this. The folks in Dearborn should be ashamed of themselves.

- Kenneth H., Cumming, GA, US

Jul 062016

F-150

i was driving my 2013 f150 going around 55 miles down a hill here in hawaii the h3 freeway then a light came on my steering wheel got hard to turn lucky there were no cars around me i pulled to the side called a tow truck headed to honolulu ford here in the islands and now they want charge me $2000. dollars some thing is wrong here i read the other people who complain about this problem but yet nothing is done they have so many commercial saying how good there trucks are BS i am fighting with honolulu ford do not want to pay a penny let u guys know the out come mahalo and god bless u guys

- patrickrhi, Aiea, HI, USA

Jul 032016

F-150 FX4 5.0L

WHEN TURNING TO THE LEFT THE POWER STEERING WILL GO OUT UNTIL YOU FORCE IT BACK TO CENTER. ON HIGHWAY WILL DRIFT TO LEFT AT TIMES.

- Richard H., Salem, IL, USA

May 022016

F-150 V6

After getting a new power steering pump at 15000 mile now at 30000 miles the steering went out again, tonight, I got the following messages advance trac warning and hill descent warning came on. Also a electrical warning.. Drove it home with a lot of difficulty, Turn signals also quit working. When I turn down my driveway everything started to work again.. First time this happen at 15000 mile I almost had a serious wreck going down a hill in a turn.. The problem is you never know when it is going to happen.. I paid for the extended warranty so I would recommend all planning to buy a f150 to do the same.. The first steering pump was 1500 dollars plus labor.. So it more than paid for it self already. Looks like we are going to need a second one..

- John W., Blanchester, OH, USA

Aug 272014

F-150 XLT

Making a right turn off highway, power steering FAILED, wheels turned straight causing wheel to return to center which yanked my wrist and stuck me on highway. I was strong enough to get wheel turned and off the highway. Had my wife been driving or someone not as strong as I was, they would have either been stuck hanging on highway or hit telephone pole. I'm told $1,700 to replace electronics to repair steering.

Update from Aug 27, 2014: I'm reporting this as a complaint, my main concern is the danger this could cause in any number of scenarios

- Clyde B., Tyler, TX, USA