2016 Ford F-150 brakes problems: brake failure

Brake Failure

2016 Ford F-150

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

8.9

$690

2. replace master cylinder (6 reports)
  3. been repaired (1 reports)
2016 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford F-150:

2016 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 112019

F-150 Lariat V6

Experienced total brake failure while pulling out of a parking lot onto a highway. When I attempted to put on brakes at the stop sign the trucked rolled into the highway. Luckily the approaching truck swerved to keep from hitting me blowing his horn till he was way past me. Truck was out of warranty by 22 days and has 23,000 miles on it. Had it towed to a Ford Dealer which replaced the master cylinder and booster at a cost Towing $120.00 and Repair cost $798.97. Asked the dealer if they would help me out with Ford since the warranty had only been out for 22 days and was a major safety issue. Answer was NO. Contacted Ford explained the situation and their answer was NO. So much for Ford customer service. Contacted NTSB and filed a Safety Complaint with them. They are, after many similar reports investigating this safety issue. Hopefully a total recall coming.

- Bill L., Cochran, US

Jul 182019

F-150 3.2L V6

OEM master brake cylinder failure (rear cup seal) on a 2016 F150 with 51,000 miles resulting in complete loss in brakes.

This failure is the same to which Ford issued a factory recall on 2014-2015 F150's. Looks like they missed some units!

Nothing like having your vehicle serviced two days before the incident without any signs or issues noted by the Ford service shop only to experience the 'low brake fluid' warning followed by a total loss in brakes!

- thornock, Silver City, US

Aug 132019

F-150 Lariat 3.5L

Driving down I5, all of a sudden it started making all kinds of noise, the brake warning system was flashing, next thing I know I go to slow down and have no brakes (pedal all the way to the floor) almost causing what could have been a serious accident. I took the next off ramp and was able to get into a parking lot. When I checked the brake fluid, it was low, I was able to get to an auto parts store and bought more. I only made it 3 blocks and the reservoir was empty and the exhaust started stinking and blowing thick white smoke. This could have been a lot worse. Also, this cost me a days work, and a ton of money! Where is the recall before someone dies!?!?

- Larry W., Wilsonville, US

Aug 072019

F-150 XLT 3.5L

Truck lost braking power while heading to the dentist, brake fluid low message appeared came on. tried to pull over and check and the pedal went to the floor. checked for leaks everywhere and none to be found, limped it to the local parts store and put in 12 oz of fluid, brakes still spongy but was able to make it home. brake fluid was empty within 7 miles of where i just filled it up. put one more bottle in so i could make it to my job in the morning and it was empty again. pull vacuum sensor out the bottom of the brake booster and all 36 oz of fluid starts pouring out of the brake booster. master cylinder failed just like to 13-14's and did the same thing. called ford to order a master and will install myself. cleaned brake booster out the best i could and will roll the dice that it doesn't break down the road. Ford needs to Recall these model years just like the 13-14s. a simple online search shows hundreds if not thousands of f150 owners with the same problem.

- Thomas M., Grayslake, IL, US

May 112019

F-150 XL Super Crew V6 3.5L With Ecoboost

Mechanics are trying to find where the brake fluid is going. The well is dry after filling but no outward leaks. Everything points to the master cylinder. Thank goodness I dropped it off at 7 am this morning, there was very little car or pedestrian traffic. It was not safe at all to drive, very scary!

- David B., Kensington, US

Apr 032019

F-150 King Ranch

Started up the car leaving work, put into drive and pushed brake to turn out of the parking spot. Brake pedal went right to the floor. Had to back up into the spot using emergency brake. Checked the fluid and it was almost gone. Filled up and drove to nearest dealer. Left the car to be repaired going to cost me about $1500 to have booster and master cylinder replaced. Also, have to wait almost a week to get it back. Seems this is a big problem for the F150 and Ford is not doing anything about it.

- Tim D., Havre De Grace, US

Aug 252018

F-150 King Ranch 3.5L Eco Boost

Friday I had brakes, Saturday morning started out for Dallas & warning light came on saying brake fluid low & emergency light also was on. I figured dealer had missed the brake on last service & would stop up the road for a can of fluid. 15 miles later I touched the brake pedal & it went to the floor. I got stopped & got a couple cans of fluid as tank was empty & filled it up but still no pedal & fluid was leaking on right side back of right tire. I'm now waiting for Hill Country Ford dealer to open so I can take it in to get fixed. Will update later.

Update from Aug 30, 2018: The master cylinder was covered by Ford extended warranty & I paid the $100 deductible. !st one with this problem at my dealer.

- Jess S., Goldthwaite, US

Jan 162017

F-150 XLT 5.0L

No problems until today, except rear door improperly aligned. Just spent 6 hrs in hospital. Started truck and brake alarm came on. There was no power brakes,but worked manually (no power assist). This is scary. How can I keep my family safe. So glad it didn't happen on the highway. Had towed to the dealer, but hadn't heard the conclusion yet. Lots of similar problems on line. Ford needs to recognize this ongoing problem. I will report to the MOT when I have Fords input on the repair.

Update from Jan 22, 2017: Well, can't blame Ford on this one. A mouse or squirrel chewed through the vacuum line to the brake booster. $400 I was home. I have set some traps outside and ,for now, have a trouble light on under the hood.

- David B., Oshawa, ON, Canada

Jan 122017

F-150 XL V6 Eco Boost

Brake pedal goes to the floor. What more do I need to say? If you push down and hold pressure the pedal in 5 seconds it is on the floor. Ford says they are good.

- kengapeq, Long Beack, CA, US

Nov 182016

F-150 XLT 5.0L V8

In my 33 years of driving, mostly professionally, I have never had a vehicle where the brakes failed. Never. I’ve driven cars & trucks that I've bought for between $150 to $50,000. None of them ever had brake failure. That is until Friday, November 18, 2016.

My three-month-old 2016 Ford F150, has 10,000 miles on it. I bought it brand new, with 9 miles on the odometer. Up until Friday, it had been a pretty good vehicle. It got me where I needed to go, & back. Its towing capability was so-so, but OK. My 2007 Nissan Titan handles our 30-ft. camper much better. But I digress. On the aforementioned date, when approaching a stoplight, I applied the brakes. Much to my dismay, the pedal went to the floor & the truck did not slow down. Good times. I took the vehicle to the dealership for diagnosis & repair. They still have it & I’m in a loaner car. This is completely unacceptable.

- Robert D., Chesterfield, VA, US

Oct 042016

F-150 XTR 2.7L

I am new owner of a 2016 Ford F-150 2.7 ecoboost I was going down QEW in hamilton ON on my way to work in Toronto ON I am a medical first responder I was going 40 km hr and I seen traffic slowing down. I then applied my brakes and they went to the floor. I then rear ended another motorist in there vehicle and it was deemed a right off on the spot, I had no where to go. I had 2 transport on both sides of me I then called for and they told me to brake sooner I was not expect my brakes to let me down Ford is telling me no recalls in Canada they only then step up once something tramatic happen I need help any other Ford owner having this issue I a ready to draw lemons all over my truck

- Brandii D., New Liskeard, ON, Canada

Oct 272016

F-150

I bought a new 2016 F150 so my kids and I would be in a bigger safer vehicle, and I would be able to haul my horse trailer.... well its looking like I should of stayed with my Audi because on October 27th my kids and I were heading home with a very full truck, front to back. We were doing about 45mph. I could see the light ahead was red at the busy intersection so I went to apply the brakes to start slowing down and there was NO BRAKES. The pedal went all the way to the floor....we had no warning! The brakes had been working just fine all day and then no brakes...luckily I was able to turn into a big parking lot and coast to a stop. If that parking lot had not been there I would of hit the person in front of me trying to stop.

The 2015 F150s have been recalled but WHY IN THE HELL have the 2016 not been recalled. In doing research I realized that Ford has been having problems with their F150 master brake cylinders since 2013.....this is not safe! Not for my family or anyone else on the road but in till the recall is issued then guess Ford only has to replace the defective part with the same but new part!....ISSUE THE RECALL BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED.... I will say my Portland dealership has been awesome with getting me a loaner car and trying to help me get this figured out.......this is completely unacceptable an I am scared to drive my new 50K+ truck and that is complete crap the recall needs to be issued and the trucks need to be safe!!

- Heather M., Vancouver, WA, US

Oct 302016

F-150 XLT 2.7L Ecoboost

Picked up my new 2016 F-150 from dealer and while driving back to my home, 2 hours away, the brakes would not hold the truck at a stop and the brake pedal would keep falling toward the floor. Took it to my home Ford dealer for service. The problem was diagnosed as brake master cylinder failure. It took 4 days to get the part from Ford and installed. My truck had less than 100 miles on it and it's obvious that the truck was shipped from the factory with a defective brake master cylinder.

- joe1247, Fort Meade, FL, US

Sep 262016

F-150 Sport 3.5L

Just purchased a brand new F-150 only to bring it home to find out it has some pretty bad brake issues. Brakes fail when I first start the vehicle up and try to drive it. The pedal does all sorts of weird things, and the vehicle barely wants to stop.

- Joseph M., Fort Irwin, CA, US

Oct 012016

F-150 Lariat 5.0L

I bought this truck brand new back in March 2016. For about the last month on multiple occasions I have had complete brake failure both when pulling a trailer and not pulling a trailer. When I look at recalls for my truck it states there are none. However, there is a known issue with the master cylinder on the 3.5L Evoboost. I am here to tell you Ford NEEDS to expand this recall to the 5.0L as well. As with another post by Robert K., Phoenixville, PA, USA my brake pedal goes all the way to the floorboard. I have contacted the dealer, Borman Auto Plex , Las Cruces, NM. where I bought it from and they stated there are no recalls on it. They want me to bring it during the week so they can look at it but cannot provide a loaner vehicle or rental. My truck is STILL under full factory warranty. Ford SHOULD be supplying a loaner vehicle or rental car.

- William C., Caballo, NM, US