ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Ford Flex fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Flex:

2013 Ford Flex Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 122018

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to dick smith Ford in raytown, Missouri where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump leveler module was defective and needed replacement. The contact stated that this was the third time the failure occurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and filed case number: Cas-144337507. The vehicle was repaired for the third time. The VIN was invalid. The approximate failure mileage was 119,827.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Feb 222018

Flex

My car is affected by the same recall as many other Ford Flex vehicles, however, my vehicle is not listed as part of the recall. I am having issues with the fuel pump control module of my vehicle and it will not start. It cranks and acts like it wants to start however it will not start due to the lack of fuel created by the fuel pump module.

- San Jacinto, CA, USA

Sep 082017

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start upon turning the key in the ignition. The vehicle was towed to buckeye Ford Lincoln (2343 w Michigan St, sidney, oh 45365, (800) 700-0050) where it was diagnosed with a fuel pump module failure and the fuel pump needed replacement. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was then towed back to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the rcm module needed replacement. Upon further investigation, the failure was discovered to be a wiring issue from the fuel pump repairs. The vehicle was rewired. The contact stated that the manufacturer was made aware of the failure and a case was opened. While driving various speeds, the steering seized and the power steering was lost without warning. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where it was diagnosed with a steering rack failure, which needed replacement. The contact stated that the vehicle was not repaired due to the cost. The manufacturer's was made aware of the failure, a case was opened, and the contact was referred to NHTSA. The approximate failure mileage was 72,018.

- Botkins, OH, USA

Jan 152018

Flex

Fuel is not getting to engine this vehicle was manufactured in Oakville Ontario between the time of a recall (16V621000) but does not have echo boost engine. Ford claims it is not part of the recall but the issue matches the exact recall.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jan 162018

Flex

2013 Ford Flex would turn over just fine (battery was fine) but would not start. It acted like it was not getting any fuel (which was the case). Fortunately, I was not driving at the time as that would have been a potentially serious situation. The dealership replaced the fuel pump driver module (part #aa8Z 9D370 B) which is under recall for other models of my vehicle but not mine. After researching the internet, this is a prevalent issue and should be addressed for all engine models (not just one).

- Livonia, MI, USA

Aug 072017

Flex

Vehicle is not getting any gas do to faulty fuel pump, alarm keeps going off, third time replacing latch, one twice,

- Grand Island, NE, USA

Dec 312017

Flex

2013 na 3.5L fired Flex fuel pump control module (part # aa8Z 9D370 B) failure has led to me being stranded 3 times and caused the vehicle to stall twice (once while in motion). Ford has recalled the 2013-2015 Ford Flex with the 3.5L ecoboost (turbocharged) engine for the same issue (fuel pump control module failure/replacement), and uses the same part in both vehicles (part # aa8Z 9D370 B). Vehicle failed to start when parked 3 separate times, resulting in it being towed to a dealership twice. Vehicle stalled once while stationary, and once while in motion without warning. Dealer indicated that the fuel pump control module is at fault and not under recall. Ford openly recalled the turbocharged Flex for the same part that has failed in the naturally aspirated version that I have.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jan 022018

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to jack demmer Ford (37300 Michigan ave, wayne, mi 48184, (734) 721-2600) where it was diagnosed that the battery needed to be replaced. The battery was replaced, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that there was insufficient fuel pressure going to the engine, which caused the vehicle to stall. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V621000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact received case number: Tas13866368. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000.

- Westland, MI, USA

Dec 072017

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. While entering the vehicle and inserting the key into the ignition, the vehicle would not start. The contact had the vehicle towed to redlands Ford Inc (1121 w colten ave, redlands ca 92374) where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was at the dealer being repaired. The manufacturer was also contacted and did not assist. The failure mileage was 34,000.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA

Jun 102017

Flex

I was driving car and it stalled out of nowhere. Had car towed home and mechanic said it is either the fuel pump or fuel module. Now car only starts sometimes and will turn off. Not safe to drive at all. I tried calling Ford service department but they say that my VIN. Is clear don't see how this is possible as my car is doing samething as many other Ford Flexs on the road how do I get them to add my VIN. To recall list please as my car is doing samething as the cars on recall llist.

- Lineville, AL, USA

Jun 232017

Flex

Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 Ford Taurus, Ford Flex, Lincoln mks and Lincoln mkt vehicles equipped with 3.5L gtdi ecoboost engines and 2013-2015 Ford Taurus police interceptor vehicles. A component within the fuel pump electric module (pem) may overheat causing a loss of electrical power to the fuel pump. Consequence a loss of power to the fuel pump will cause the engine to stall or prevent the vehicle from starting, increasing the risk of a crash. What owners should do Ford will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the fuel pem part number and replace the fuel pem, as necessary, free of charge. The recall began on December 1, 2016. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 16S31. I had this part suddenly go out on me on 6/22/2017 and had it towed to my dealership. I had received an oil change at our local walmart and when they went to pull it out of the garage the car would not start. So I had it towed. I had this part replaced 6/23/2017 and I was told that my VIN # was not issued for the recall. Even though they admitted that the vehicle was manufactured where the recalls came from and the dates of productions of the recall. This vehicle met those condition but for some reason my VIN was not on the recall list so they will not pay for my part or labor to remove and replace it.

- York, PA, USA

Apr 172017

Flex

The vehicle was stationary, would not turn over to start. It would stall. Lights and electrical would come on. This has happened three times. Its a concern and safety issue with the fuel pump as believed by the reference of this site recall.

- Lyman, WY, USA

Apr 062017

Flex

On Thursday, April 6th 2017, I went out to my car (stationary) and it would not start. I had just driven it to the doctor's office approximately an hour earlier. There had been no warning lights or indications. Ford certified pre owned warranty covered the tow to the dealership. Dealership could not diagnose vehicle the same day and I had to rent a vehicle. On Friday, dealership diagnosed the problem as a faulty fuel pump module. They indicated to me that it was not covered under the certified pre owned powertrain warranty. I called my extended warranty company which covered only a portion of the repairs and they did not cover the rental car amount. The total amount for service was $856. I paid $537 of that plus and additional $40 for the rental car. On Monday, April 10th, I did some research and found that certain 2013 Ford flexes had a recall on fuel pump modules. Your website listed, "fuel pump malfunction may cause engine stall. A loss of power to the fuel pump will cause the engine to stall or prevent the vehicle from starting, increasing the risk of a crash. Ford's number for this recall is 16S31." I called Ford customer service and they checked my VIN number. They indicated that my vehicle was not covered under that recall. I was shocked as this is the same exact problem that other vehicles had. I believe that Ford should be responsible for the cost of repairs and should reimburse me. I was very fortunate to not have been driving or have my children with me when the module stopped working. I would appreciate NHTSA looking into this matter and following up.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Dec 232016

Flex

While driving down the road, the car stalled out several times. Was able to restart it and get going again before it stalled one final time and I had to leave it on the side of the road. I went back an hour later. It started right up and I drove it back home. A week later I went to the grocery store and when I came out it would not start at all. I had to have the vehicle towed and the mechanic replaced the fuel pump module

- Kennedy, NY, USA

Feb 132017

Flex

Fuel control module - vehicle has 30,932 miles on it, and is 4 months outside of the 3year/36,000 mile warranty. Drove and filled up the vehicle on the afternoon of 2/12 and all was well. Came out of my home on the morning of 2/13 to go to work and the vehicle would not start. After several attempts, had to call and have the vehicle towed to the nearest Ford dealership. Ended up having to take the day off work trying to get the vehicle towed, arrange for repair, etc. After a day and a half, on 2/14, I was told that the problem was a computer malfunction and the computer was "rebooted" and the car finally started for the techs; but that they would like to keep it for a day or so to make sure it would continue to start. On, 2/16, I was called by the service advisor and was told that the car would not start again and that the fuel control module was bad and needed to be replaced and the cost would be over $400. I asked if he would go to the manager and see if this could be replaced at no cost since it was just outside of the warranty period and the vehicle didn't even have 31K miles on it. The advisor called back and said that they would be able to replace for $175. After getting home and able to do a little research, it appears that Ford has been recalling the fuel control module on many Flex boost models, but the problem seems to be across the board in several of the models (including mine), but Ford has not issued a recall on those models yet. It is my belief that Ford should be issuing a recall on all the affected models, not just the boost engine models!!!

- Morrisville, NC, USA

Sep 012016

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start and stalled numerous times without warning. The contact was able to order the fuel pump electronic module from the dealer. The part was replaced and the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the vehicle was excluded from a manufacturer recall. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Spicewood, TX, USA

Oct 312016

Flex

When I put gas in the gas either fill up or even just a cap off on the gas tank, starting the engin is dificult. It hesitates, when trying to start, and has a rough very rough idle. Accelaration is not a problem once we get going, but it is the initial starting of the vehicle that is a problem.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Nov 032016

Flex

My vehicle was parked and the engine would not turn over. While vehicles like mine are part of a recall for the same reason, fuel pump malfunction, my vehicle is not part of the recall. There were no warnings of any issues. I drove to work in the morning and car would not start when I returned to drive home that evening. Will cost nearly $1K to repair for this fairly new vehicle. When asked if there is something I did to cause, I was advised that this just happens. Does not make sense to me.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 292016

Flex

My Flex will not turn over. This has happened twice in the last month. I had to take tow it to the mechanic and believe it or not it started with no issues not even a check engine light. 4 days later same issue car will crank but not turn over. I have read about the recall with the same vehicle as mine with the fuel pump problems. However mine is not in the list. This is a safety issue that need to be looking into.

- Horizon City, TX, USA

Sep 102016

Flex

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Flex. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was eventually able to restart the vehicle. The check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an auto parts center where it was diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 16V621000 (fuel system, gasoline), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 72,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- El Paso, TX, USA