ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2005 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Freestyle:

2005 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 10 of 29)

Jun 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Freestyle, I bought new, and have had the throttle body replaced twice for this surging issue. The dealer said it was a bad throttle position sensor. I have read on the forums about other people having the same problem. This is my wife's car and she freaks out when it surges, she has almost lost control sometimes.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Feb 072012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact was driving 40 mph when the check engine light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle only to have it stall again. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing that concluded that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the throttle body replaced. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Independence, KY, USA

Jun 172011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle would surge forward with the brake depressed or when the air conditioner was activated. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure, nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was 145,000 and the failure mileage was 142,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fridley, MN, USA

Nov 012008

Freestyle 6-cyl

This Freestyle has surged several times since purchase. We replace a failed throttle body in 2010. Recently in shop in 9/11 for nonstart.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Jan 032012

Freestyle 6-cyl

2005 Ford Freestyle lunging forward, stalling out, and check engine light wrench icon light coming on. It was dangerous to be on the road because of the sudden stopping, and very pore acceleration. After several tries at reading codes discovered it was a bad throttle body. I noticed all of the complaints that were posted on line about this same vehicle and discovered your investigation opened in 2011. Repairs were made by myself at the cost of $608. Also, I noticed the new replacement part had an engineering change that eliminated the anti freeze heater section. I feel something should be done about this problem by recalling the throttle body system used in this Ford vehicle. I also was informed by the service center at the Ford dealership, where I purchased the throttle body, that this part was common to be replaced. Thank you for looking into this issue.

- St Thomas, PA, USA

Jul 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When stopped at a light, the engine accelerated suddenly, I had to press very hard on break to prevent the car from launching. This has happened in several occasions, always when stopped but not in park.

- New Britain, CT, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently lunge forward when the vehicle was stopped and would lunge backward when the vehicle was in reverse. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who was unable to duplicate the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 70,000 and the failure mileage was 40,000.

- Holland, PA, USA

Sep 072006

Freestyle

Throttle body is giving me trouble. When I am at a light or stopped my car accelerates by itself. Is a safety issue as sometimes I am at a pedestrian crosswalk or just at a light. Very concerned about this issue.

- Canovanas, PR, USA

Jul 152006

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while the brakes were depressed, the vehicle surged forward and stalled without warning. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle and it was towed to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired but was unsure as to the exact repair that was made. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Jul 242008

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased my 2005 Ford Freestyle new in January 2006. After two years I started to experience various unintended accelerations. I took the vehicle to a Ford authorized dealership and had it checked out. Their work order indicated they had performed an "eec test code P2106 (throttle position sensor), it also indicated a pin point test QE1, QE9, and they proceeded to replace the throttle body". the problem went away for some time and after a few months the vehicle started to do the same thing again (acceleration). The problem really gets worse with the A/C on and while I try to maneuver into parking spaces or while I'm at a full stop waiting to turn. I have since used less my vehicle. This issue causes a great burden on me and my family since this is our daily driver and we are trying to avoid any mishaps that could involve an accident with another vehicle or person.

- Arecibo, PR, USA

Dec 052011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, she applied the brakes and the vehicle accelerated without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic and the mechanic stated that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact notified the manufacturer and filed a complaint. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Dec 052011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While at idle upon starting car and shifting (automatic) from park to drive or reverse, the vehicle has exhibited significant "lunging" without any applied pressure to gas peddle. Additionally, this lunging has been repeated a number of times independent of initial vehicle starts (I.e. when parking the car and backing up). Approximate lunging of the vehicle before human response time and brake application with subsequent stoppage of vehicle is subjectively estimated at 24-36 inches (2-3 feet). Recommendation: Recall; replace and/or repair. Reference investigation number: PE11018.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Nov 272011

Freestyle

In this incident, before the engine shut off the car would surge with power forcing my car to thrust forward without control, perhaps certain times up to anywhere from a few inches to a couple feet. After this happens for a little while the car turns off and the system reads failsafe engine mode. This incident happened to me 3 times on the way to the dealership, and I just received the estimate of around $850 to fix this unsafe working vehicle due to its electronic throttle body malfunctioning. Luckily no people were close to my car any of the times the car was randomly accelerating.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Nov 062008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when in reverse, the vehicle would surge backward while the brakes were applied. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where the dealer advised that the traction control feature needed to be deactivated to resolve the issue. The contact deactivated the traction control feature but it did not remedy the problem. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jul 152009

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car has a serious lunging problem. It does it mainly when the car is in drive, but also when in reverse. I have hit posts and other stationary objects a couple of times, and have multiple near misses of hitting other cars. An example would be such as when in the drive-thru at mcdonalds or other fast food places, when the car is idling. This has also happened many times when I am sitting at stop lights or waiting to make a turn. I have taken the car to the Ford dealer a couple times and asked if they could check it out, always being told that they couldn't find anything wrong. Is there anything that Ford is doing to correct this problem?

- Battle Mountain, NV, USA

Nov 222011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My vehicle has a failed throttle body as evidenced by two codes: T2106 and P061B (reported to me by my mechanic). It lunges or surges when trying to accelerate normally. It goes into "engine fail safe mode" repeatedly and randomly. It has "rough starts" from time to time that have not been found to have another cause. Now, the check engine light is on and stays on, and it will not go into engine fail safe mode, which actually scares me. It scares me because, as I understand it, engine fail safe mode is a protective mode for a failed throttle body. When my mechanic ran the diagnostics on the check engine light, he got the two codes listed above, which he said indicate a failed throttle body. He said this could be dangerous. He said that from his research, this is a wide-spread problem, and Ford should have issued a recall on this by now. I have contacted Ford, and they are refusing to assist with this. My real dilemma is that even if I pay for the replacement, if Ford has not reengineered the part, I will be putting in another defective Ford part. This is what is happening to many Ford owners. They are experiencing multiple failed throttle bodies. I feel trapped in this situation with no good solution other than to pray for safety and hope for Ford to do the right thing and reengineer this part, recall it, and replace it. Can you please investigate this? thank you, Ford driver

- Macon, GA, USA

Nov 202011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The contact also stated that prior to the failure a wrench icon illuminated along the control panel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the dealer confirmed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 103,000. The VIN was unknown.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Nov 012005

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when reversing the vehicle would lunge backward. The contact would have to depress the brake abruptly in order for the vehicle to come to a complete stop. In addition, the AWD warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed the failure as a sensor defect. The vehicle was not repaired. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of failure. The failure mileage was unavailable and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Nov 032011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would suddenly surge forward as the wrench warning indicator symbol illuminated. The dealer informed the contact that the throttle body failed and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, did not offer any assistance. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was 113,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- St Olaf, IA, USA

Jun 032011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunges forward at certain times. Most notably while air conditioner is running and pulling into a parking place. Sometimes lunges while pulling out of parking; so while in reverse. Seems to have something to do with tight turning of the steering wheel. Mention has been made of a possible throttle body sensor problem. When taken to the mechanic however; it would not lunge, so no repairs were made. Only does it on certain occasions.

- Cary, NC, USA