- January 8: Ford F-150 Oil Consumption Issues Cause Lawsuit news | 7 days ago
- December 28: Ford Recalls EcoSports and Transit Connects Over Airbags recalls | 18 days ago
- December 24: Ford Door Latch Settlement Receives Final Approval news | 22 days ago
- December 22: Ford Explorer, Lincoln Aviator Recalled For Motor Mounts recalls | 24 days ago
- December 22: Ford E-Series Recall Necessary To Prevent Burns recalls | 24 days ago
Ford Preliminary Evaluation PE07058: INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FAILURE
2005 Ford Freestyle
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FAILURE
Electrical System: Instrument Cluster/Panel
- The subject vehicles experience a loss of proper instrument cluster operation.typically, the problem appears as the needle on the gauge (speedometer, tachometer, fuel, and/or temperature) sweeps and resets intermittently.Ford reports the problem as "momentary power interruption causes the gauges to sweep and then recover to normal function."in August 2006, Ford issued a technical service bulletin (tsb 06-17-9) to provide guidelines to service technicians for diagnosis and repair of this condition.ODI's review of Ford's response to the Agency's informationrequest letter reveals that the majority of the reports to Ford (63%) indicate that the instrument cluster would experience intermittent loss of power.Ford reports that thislasts for only a few seconds.also Ford states, "the vehicle's exterior lighting would not fail to illuminate even in the event of power interruption to the cluster because the exterior lights are powered separately and do not rely on any signal from the cluster."additionally, ODI contacted complainants who affirmed the intermittent condition and that none of the exterior lights on the subject vehicles would be affected by power interruptions to the instrument cluster.ODI last received a report regarding this issue in August of 2007.the closing of this investigation does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist.further use of Agency resources does not appear to be warranted at this time.ODI will however continue to monitor the issue and will take further action if warranted by the circumstances.
- Documents (3)
Click a tab for more information.