ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid brakes problems: brake failure

Brake Failure

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

2. install new booster assembly (1 reports)
  3. replace entire ABS module (1 reports)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid:

2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid Owner Comments

May 302018

• CVT transmission

Failed ABS module, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 57500 miles.

The dashboard warning lights indicated a brake failure. Muzi Ford (and independently, Center Automotive) confirmed that the ABS module failed and needed to be replaced. The cost to purchase and have the unit installed would be approximately $4500!

The Ford Customer Service department said they could do nothing for me, as the part was not under recall. I did some online research and learned that the NHTSA in 2016 reviewed 140 cases involving failed Ford ABS units, starting around 2010 until 2016, and determined that it would be too expensive to order a recall.

So, as an irate Ford owner (ex-owner now), I am stuck with the bill. Although my car had been driven only 57500 miles, it didn’t make sense investing that much in an 8-year-old car. I lost a lot of money on an otherwise fine car, having to sell it for $1200.

This isn’t right. Isn’t there something that Ford should do to compensate those whose ABS units have prematurely failed?

- Robert Z., Needham, MA, US

Jun 012017

Fusion Hybrid

click to see larger images

brake failure

This has happened six times in the last year: When I put my foot on the brake petal, it does not stop where it usually does, all of these lights come on, and the error sounds goes. Meanwhile the car is still moving and I am pressing the brake pedal all the way to the floor. I usually stop about 8 or 10 feet further than I was planning. Good thing I am a careful driver and this has not happened yet while I was going more than 15 miles an hour. It happened three times right at start up so I only moved forward or backwards a little ways. A car should stop when you put on the brakes. Just saying.

When this happened first in August of 2016, the dealership could find nothing wrong with it. They drove it for 150 miles with no errors and no error codes. It has happened 5 times in the last three weeks, and one of those weeks the car was at the dealership getting fixed.

I paid $1800 for a new Hydraulic brake module 9E5Z-2C215-B, and the issued occurred again within 36 hours of picking it up. When the brakes do this, I can turn off the car, and restart it, and the error lights go away and the brakes work normally. If only they worked reliably all of the time. This is really dangerous.

- Toni V., Wyncote, US

Jul 152016

Fusion Hybrid

Brakes collapse when driving and electric power is lost. It is totally unsafe to drive and the dealer is no help. There are constant different electrical warning lights going off - completely unrelated and there is an apparent electrical issue. This car is useless.

- Lynnette C., Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Fusion Hybrid Hybrid

• CVT transmission

I was driving my Fusion Hybrid and all was normal. I stopped to let a couple of cars pass on our narrow canyon road. There was a 90 degree turn about 200 feet ahead of where I stopped to let the cars pass. I started back down the hill and as I approached the turn, I experienced total brake failure. Absolutely nothing. I was immediately in the turn and could not slow the car no matter how hard I stomped the brakes. I could not make the turn and went off the road and over a very large boulder, suspending the car in the air. Had the boulder not stopped me, I would have gone over a 20 ft. cliff onto the highway. The car is likely totaled. I checked the pedal after the accident and it went to about 1/2 in. of the floor. I don't know what happened. I saw no warning lights. The car is regularly serviced and we've had no problems previously. The only bright spot is that I'm thankful that my wife wasn't driving.

- Robert S., Ojai, CA, USA

Jun 012012

Fusion Hybrid 2.5L I-4

I noticed my brakes were about 90% unresponsive. Of course this happened before a long 500 mile road trip on a Friday afternoon. I had to spend the weekend with a dealership loaner car (free, but I had to pay NH state tax on it) until the parts could arrive and be installed on the following Monday. I'm glad this only happened to me on city streets and not in the middle of my transit on the interstate. A couple of times I even had to use my e-brake to make a full stop at lights while en route to the dealership.

- Richard B., Mineola, NY, USA