9.0

$1,000.00

2. axle needs to be replaced (1 reports)
2002 Ford Windstar suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Windstar:

2002 Ford Windstar Owner Comments

Aug 012017

Windstar LX 3.2L V6

Used to be a real Ford devotee. Not anymore. Brought the car to the dealer (Malouf) when we received the original recall and they "checked" the axle and found no issue. Yet, the axle broke IN THE EXACT MANNER DESCRIBED IN THE RECALL.

Called Ford, they don't care, they say that because the dealer inspected it and deemed it "no problem"; they are off the hook. BS. The part failed just as the recall said it would. The dealer did shoddy work and now I have to fight because of crappy engineering and even worse service!

Last Ford I buy . . . time to go Japanese

- , Highland Park, US

Mar 062017

Windstar SE 3.8L

click to see larger images

cracked axle cracked axle cracked axle

My Windstar Rear Axle broke while driving it. Ford did a recall on these vehicles because they incorrectly designed the rear axle in a U shape profile that will accumulate snow/salt, axle is made of steel instead of aluminum like in other cars. The accumulation of salt will corrode the steel and a catastrophic fracture will occur. Ford installed rear axle "reinforcement brackets" under Recall 10S13 in my vehicle back in 2010 (apparently because a person died after a crash when his axle broke and lost control), but these reinforcement brackets did not prevent the failure in my vehicle even when those were "correctly" installed, based in a review of the brackets made by a dealer in 2016 (because Ford sent another letter asking to bring the vehicle for inspection of the "reinforcement" brackets, i guess because of the complains keep accumulating).

If you have a Windstar involved on this recall, it makes sense to have the rear axle replaced, the reinforcement brackets only will prevent the axle to break sooner. I guess in this way your vehicle goes out of warranty and they don't have to pay for its original mistake in the design of this axle!

- , Rochester Hills, US

Feb 272017

Windstar LX 3.8L

Luckily I was with my husband, but I frequent Chicago which is a round trip of 200 plus miles. My daughter has health conditions only Luries can handle so all her specialists are there. Imagine had this happened on my way to Chicago? Surely, my one year old baby and I would be dead!!!!!!!!! I'm very emotional and distraught right now. My anxiety has me feeling I'm about to die!!!!!!!

- , Freeport, IL, US

Feb 102016

Windstar 3.4L V6

I received a safety recall notice in February 2016 for rear axle reinforcement brackets that were installed during a previous safety recall. I took the van to the local Ford dealer where they informed me that the brackets were installed correctly, but the rear axle cracked anyway because the brackets that were "installed correctly" did not do their job. The local ford dealership did take pictures and sent the to the Ford company. Ford however claims that they are not responsible for the faulty axle but would fix it for $300. My complaint is that why should I have to pay $300 for a part that was they already knew was faulty. The rear axle reinforcement brackets were put there to keep the rear axle from breaking. Why is Ford not responsible when their parts didn't do their job!

- , Stoystown, MS, USA

Apr 182016

Windstar 3.8L

Rear axle broke with wife driving grand kids. 2 recalls for rear axle. Ford I'd talking a $300.00 copayment. Dropped it off today at dealer

- , Fern Dale, MI, USA

Apr 102015

Windstar LX V6

I purchased a 2002 Ford Windstar van then replaced all 4 tires about 3 weeks later I noticed tires on back were starting to wear on the inside A few days later I got a flat tire. Went had new tire put on a week later the other side went flat. Went back to same shop and they changed that flat. I was told I had a cracked axle in back.

- , Belgrade, ME, USA