ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

6.0

2012 GMC Terrain exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 GMC Terrain:

2012 GMC Terrain Owner Comments

Apr 302016

Terrain SLT1 2.4L L4

At about 94,500 miles, car started making louder than normal noise, especially at start up. It progressed quickly and sounded like exhaust issue so I took it to my local dealer to look at before a long trip I was taking and get my standard oil change too. I always have taken the car to the dealer I purchased car from new for oil changes and safety checks to keep certain nothing serious happens.

When I picked up car, they said the noise was from "somewhere in the front of the exhaust system", and "something they have been seeing in this model year", but no major issue to be of concern right away, it will just need repair later...

Well, it has now become VERY LOUD and noticeable, so much so my son in law asked what was wrong with the car, should I be driving it!

A web search led me to seeing this is common, and to your site. I hope someone can give me advice if there are solutions GM is providing or best way to get things fixed before it becomes more expensive or I hit 100,000 miles. I am now at about 98,000.

- Mark H., Howell, MI, USA