ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2009 Honda Civic body / paint problems: clear coat peeling

Clear Coat Peeling

2009 Honda Civic (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.0

$2,500

1. repaint problem area (46 reports)
  3. cover area with a protectant wax (1 reports)
2009 Honda Civic body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Civic:

2009 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Mar 012018

Civic SI 2.O

Definitely unacceptable to have these faded spots on same area of two cars. One a CSX and the other a Civic that's parked in the garage. I am yet to visit a dealer or paint shop because I thought it wiser to visit these forums first to get a feel of how many are experiencing this same issue before proceeding.

- bkurtz, Toronto, ON, Canada

Mar 012018

Civic LX

There are several Honda Civics that have the same problem in my family. We have Civic's all doing the same thing. Frustrating.

- Tracy P., Ottawa, NS, Canada

May 012015

Civic LX 1.8L

I have noticed this problem on similar vehicles. Recalls were made, however I was never notified. It is becoming worse as time goes on.

- Dennis C., Midland Park, US

Mar 202011

Civic GX

clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling

The dealers (2 different ones) said it was environmental and normal. The car was garage kept for most of its life. An auto paint technician says it is definitely a paint defect. The Honda Customer Support says its not their problem. I have a 2004 vehicle that is five years older and it has no issues with the paint. The car looks horrible and because of that does not have the book value that it should for a 2009. I would repaint it myself but it's not worth it.

I have been walking around parking lots in my area taking pictures of other Hondas with the exact same pattern of paint removal. I think a class action for damages should be launched.

- Carrie S., Kitchener, ON, Canada

Jan 012017

Civic EX

Bought the 2009 Civic new, then about a year to year and a half ago noted what looked to be tree sap damage on the roof of the car. It was relatively small blotches, but over time grew to what is seen in the photo. Well a couple of months ago my wife decides to take the car to a local body shop to get it fixed. That where she learned it was the clear coat that was failing and Honda did have a "Technical Service Bulletin" and had extended the paint warranty to 7 years. Great didn't do us any good since we just found about it a year after the extended warranty period had ended. Honda certainly didn't want that news out there.

Called Honda America and the "Customer Service" agent was rather rude and kept repeating the script, that the extended warranty had ended, basically the message was Honda was not going to stand behind their workmanship, sorry for your luck buying a Honda.

Next we went to the local dealer and spoke with the Service Manager, explained that we were unaware that our paint problem was a factory defect until recently and what can he do. He at least listened and sent it up to his District Manager. Well, they sent us to a Honda Certified Body Shop for an estimate, which came to $5,900 to correct all the problem areas. The roof was the worst, but other areas were starting to show the problem, although they were not so noticeable yet.

A week later, we got a call from the Service Manager letting us know that Honda would cover 25% of the $5,900. Are you kidding this is a problem which Honda is fully aware is their fault and they want us to bear most of the cost??

Well we went back to the first body shop to talk with them about fixing at least the roof and they did the job for $800 cash. It looks great and they stand behind their repair for life, unlike Honda.

- Tim M., West Linn, OR, US

Feb 012016

Civic EX 3.2L

I bought a Honda Civic EX used in 2014 with 37,700 miles. No peeling or informed that this may be a problem. Surprise, surprise!

I am retired and 73 years old and wanted a car that would last. Honda is not the car I should have chosen.

I had peeling of paint in 2015 and under the warranty Honda repainted 2 front fenders, hood and trunk. This was only where the peeling was present.

Now late 2016/2017 my Honda Civic is peeling all over the entire car. I hate driving it for I had always taken care of my cars. This is a reflection of Honda's bad paint/top coat job. Honda refuses to repaint the car. I am stuck with a car that looks like it belongs in a junk yard. I am not able to pay for repainting this vehicle and nor should I be expected to do so.

Honda could care less about fixing their mistakes. Stay away from HONDA. I wish I had!!

- Marlane J., Greensburg, US

Aug 012016

Civic

My car runs great, but looks like a piece of crap! I took it to Honda to find they want to cover 25% of the cost to repair this issue. I was told by the body shop manager that he sees this issue all the time.

- beckajane, Groton, US

Sep 012016

Civic EX

The paint on the roof has failed in the front and back, the trunk is beginning to fail.

The paint warranty was extended to seven years and we were just past that when this occurred. I contacted American Honda and they politely declined to assist in the repair.

This is not something that should happen and reflects poorly on the overall quality of the Honda product. I have purchased three Civics and two Accords since 2007. I purchased two pilots prior to that.

We were a Honda family but this really put a bad taste in my mouth.

Sincerely...Mr Former Honda Dad.

- indyc, Zionsville, US

Jan 042016

Civic SI 4

clear coat peeling

The roof of my 2009 Honda Civic Si has the clear coat peeling off and it would need to be repainted. If this is a common issue as I'm just discovering, why hasn't Honda issued a recall? I take good care of this car, it has been parked in a garage nearly every night but it has had its share of no cover in the Texas heat. I will have a hard time reselling this vehicle and it will need to be repainted. Honda should pay for it, not me.

- Cindee P., McKinney, TX, USA

Apr 122013

Civic EX 1.8L

I had bought my 2009 Honda Civic brand new and just two and a half years later the clear coat had started to crack on multiple panels. Luckily I had caught the problem early before any major damage could be done to the paint. I was still under warranty so Honda was able to take it to a local shop and get the entire car repainted free of charge to me. I was extremely happy when the car came back looking brand new again but that didn't make the problem any less annoying to deal with.

A two year old car should not be having paint issues! Especially one that was garage kept and babied like mine!

- Nicole H., Livermore, CA, US

Jan 012012

Civic EX 1.4L

clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling

When I first bought this car at David McDavid Honda of Irving (Texas) in 2012, I noticed there was paint or clear coat peeling on the roof of the car. I didn't immediately think much of it, thought maybe it was a one-off problem, and asked the dealership to repaint it before I picked it up-- they did. Being a full-time student and working full time, I didn't notice that the clear coat was starting to peel from the back of the car and then forward. When I did notice the clear coat I did not have the money to get it repainted and it was not a priority. When it got even worse, I started doing more research and found that there was actually a paint real for Hondas for several models across a range of years. Mine fell into that range. I went to David McDavid to ask them to repaint it and honor the warranty, but they refused since I was 3 months out of the warranty! What sucks is that I NEVER received anything in the mail letting me know there was an existing recall for that. And even worse, the dealership knew about the issue and refused to help. I contacted Honda of North America and they told me that the only way I could get the paint job was through my dealership. So now I am stuck and my car looks like crap. I still do not have over 1k for a paint job and neither my dealership or Honda is helping.

- Venecia P., Hurst, US

May 012017

Civic LX 1.8L

2009 Honda Civic LX Coupe___ Royal Blue Pearl _The paint is peeling and has gotten really noticeable in the last 3 months. Today is July 15, 2017 it started to be concerning last May. From looking at the internet many others have the same problem. It looks like there was a recall that has expired.

- James W., Kalamazoo, US

Oct 082012

Civic

Really just a major annoyance driving a car that is in great shape but looks like a piece of garbage because of the cheap paint job by Honda. I was hoping to resell the car at some point when I am ready to get another but probably will receive significantly less because of this issue and I'm afraid to even bring it to Honda for a trade in since they will low ball the price even though this issue is on their end. I was told that I can bring my car to a Honda dealership and have the paint tested but I have found absolutely no evidence of that anywhere online.

- Lawrence R., Richmond, VA, US

Oct 142015

Civic LX 4 Cl

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE ARE LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM. THE PAINT IN MY CAR IS FADING, THE RIM AROUND THE WINDOWS IS ALSO PEELING. I HAD GONE TO HONDA, FIRST TIME THREE YEARS AGO, AND THIS YEAR, LAST WEEK AND IS NOT ONLY THE PAINT THE ROOF OF MY CIVIC 2009 IS DENTED.

I DID NOT REALIZE THAT THERE WAS A WARRANTY OF 7 YEARS FOR CARS HAVING THIS PROBLEM. THE HONDA DEALER NEVER TOLD ME THAT!! HOW CAN IT BE POSSIBLE. SO I WANT YOU TO TELL ME HOW I GET HONDA TO RESPECT THAT WARRANTY.

I EVEN CALLED THE MAIN OFFICE HONDA COMPANY.

- pami, West Palm Beach, Florida, US

May 012011

Civic

If Honda knows this is a problem with all their cars, they should fix it!

- Kara O., Greensboro, NC, US

Jul 012016

Civic LX V4

I took my 2009 Honda Civic to the Ernie Boch Jr. Honda dealership, located in Westford, MA at the end of July 2016 and again in the middle of August 2016 and mentioned to the technicians that I thought the area in which the clear coat paint was peeling was actually still under a recall/warranty. I received no response from the dealership, after several attempts to find out if my vehicle qualified for the recall. When I finally received a response after asking so many times, and after many phone calls, I was told I did not qualify for the recall. Months later, today (5/4/17) I am finallyyyyy learning that I DID qualify for the recall. However, I was told that this recall conveniently "expired" back in August 2016. Well, that is around the time when I asked about the recall IN THE FIRST PLACE! I am being told this repair averages about $2K in costs that I am now responsible to pay for, which is completely inexcusable. I LOVED Honda and the brand for many years prior to today, and now I am rethinking my car purchase entirely. Still trying to resolve the issue so that they will pay for this recall, but it is not looking good. I am so upset and disheartened with this news. :(

Update from May 15, 2018: 15May18: The dealership fixed the paint (in the summer of 2017), but ONLY on the back bumper and the roof. I was told that the recall did not cover the rest of the paint on the vehicle, which was defective last year (2017) and continues to look terrible this year (2018). Since it is now so far past the recall allotment dates, it appears we may only get a deductible to have the paint fixed. There is no excuse for this run-around, but here I still am.

- Amy S., Ayer, MA, US

Feb 012016

Civic LX 1.8L

I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAT THIS IS BEING CALLED "NORMAL WEAR AND TEAR" BY THE MANUFACTURER. I HAVE A 2002 FORD EXPLORER AND THE PAINT WORK CAN BE DESCRIBED AS "AS GOOD AS NEW". STRANGE THAT IT IS ONLY HONDA VEHICLES EXPERIENCING FLAKING OF THE CLEAR COAT AND NOT OTHER MANUFACTURERS. THIS IS DEFINITELY A PRODUCTION FAULT AND THEY ARE ABLE TO SIDESTEP IT BECAUSE IT IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE.

- hibberdr, Clarkston, US

Feb 012015

Civic SI

My car is in excellent condition, except for the paint. My uncle asked what happened to your car, it looks like it has skin cancer. The clear coat is peeling away particularly on the roof, as well as the hood and trunk. This makes the car look much older and junkier.

- Christine W., Old Bridge, NJ, US

Jan 012014

Civic DX 1.8L

The problem has been around for about 2 years now on the peeling side. Prior I noticed the paint was getting very dull, similar to the comments here. Now the car looks like trash and Honda refuses to cover it claiming the same issues about "keeping out of sun", "avoiding bird poo", etc. It's rubbish. This needs to see a class action lawsuit.

- Lucas H., Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Jun 012016

Civic EX 4 cyl

I had my 2009 Honda Civic 6 months when my son placed a wrapped gift on the trunk of my car. When he took it off, there were all scratches!! How could a wrapped present scratch a car unless there was no clearcoat.

with the horrible paint job and the visors falling apart this is my first and last Honda. Plus, I never received any recall or problem notices at all. I only have 60,000 mi. on the car.

- Linda T., Fords, NJ, USA