2016 Honda Civic AC / heater problems: A/C not working properly

A/C Not Working Properly

2016 Honda Civic (Page 1 of 4)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.9

$1,170

2. replace compressor (18 reports)
  3. replace condenser (8 reports)
  4. A/C evac, recharge, replace line (6 reports)
  5. the compressor was replaced under warranty and now is cold (1 reports)
2016 Honda Civic AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

2016 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 302019

Civic EX-T 1.5L

This is the second time the A/C compressor went out. Brought it to the dealer to diagnose the issue, and it came back as the compressor again. I was able to do a 60/40 split with Honda, and this time they put in the A03 compressor. I wouldn't be surprised if the A/C goes out again, so we will see.

- Drew D., Campbell, CA, US

Jul 272019

Civic EX-L 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

This is the second time my A/C went out. It will work on the passenger side decently but not the driver's side. This happened a year ago and they replaced my air compressor. This time, they did an "evacuate and recharge with dye (to detect leaks, if any) and two schrader valves". Very frustrated and annoyed that this is going to keep being an issue.

- Shawn H., La Mirada, US

Jul 272019

Civic Touring 1.5L 4-cyl

Add me to the list of complaints about the air conditioning system for by 2016 Civic. My car is at 28,500 miles, well under the 36,000 milage warranty and 10 days beyond the 3 year warranty. Yet, calling various dealerships, they would not "give me a break." Apparently there are many similar complaints with this particular year/model. Honda Motors is well aware of the problem but has not taken responsibility and has not issued a recall. I am $1,800 in the hole. My mechanic recommended that I write a letter to Honda Motors to file a complaint. Apparently, if there are enough of us, there's a chance they will take responsibility.

- M F., Rosemead, CA, US

May 162019

Civic EX-T 1.5L

I bought a 2016 Honda civic in May 2016, exactly close to end of warranty i.e. 3 years and 1 month, the car AC started blowing out hot air. Honda of America knows about this issue and they have not made any recalls on this issue. They suggested me to take the car to a local dealer, and the dealer charges about $1500 to fix the issue. Why do I have to pay $1500 for a problem which Honda cars have out of factory. It should be on them. Very frustrated with Honda. Will never buy one in future,

- winzhack999, Los Angeles, US

Apr 022018

Civic EX

They replaced the compressor and added refrigerant in April 2018. In June 2019 put the air conditioner on for the first time this season, no cold air. They only temporarily fixed the problem. Now I'm hearing there are a lot of defective condensers. The dealer said they are waiting for a recall. They should have replaced my condenser last year.

- Judith W., Commack, US

May 012019

Civic LX 2.0L

Air conditioning stopped working last when I was out of warranty. My warranty expired dec 2018 and I started noticing issues in May when I had to start using the ac since I’m in Chicago. After looking online I decided to wait to take it in since it was out of warranty, it was cooling off, and maybe Honda would decide to recognize the issues. Learned that the compressor will have to be replaced along with clutch and it is back ordered. It is back ordered since all Honda Civic customers are having the same issues and no recalls. I am planning on filing a lawsuit if they don’t fix my car. I don't buy Hondas to experience problems like this. My prior civic never had mechanical problems I expect better. I'm going to be calling American Honda Motors to file a complaint. I will be posting my experience to prevent others from purchasing this vehicle. Never will I buy another Honda car.

- Sandy O., Cicero, US

Civic LX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

An otherwise magnificently designed vehicle. the AC unit on this model almost makes it a completely regrettable purchase. We purchased the car early 2019 so checking the AC wasn't on our list of obvious things to look over. Big mistake. Once we actually needed the AC, the problem was immediately oblivious. Just got the call back from our highly reputable local mechanic shop. They explained that the AC fix would be $1700 and required a complete system replacement.

Here's the kicker. The parts are magically on "unknown fulfillment back-order" due to EXTREMELY HIGH demand for it. So they couldn't fix it if they wanted to. And Honda told them it's out of warranty after they gave them our VIN number. They fully suspect a recall is being prepared.

DO NOT PURCHASE this vehicle until that recall is activated. And it's a shame, because this is easily one of the best cars we've ever owned.

- Bob W., Topeka, KS, US

Jun 152019

Civic EX

A/C only works when the temp outside is under 75 degrees. Won't cool down enough when the weather outside is warmer than 75 degrees. From what I read on the internet is that this is a common problem with the 2016 Civic. They say that coolant needs to be added around the 3 year because the coolant is constantly leaking out. My prior Honda was a 2005 Accord that I bought new and had for 11 years. My A/C with that car never needed coolant added.

- Rob N., Sierra Madre, US

Jul 282019

Civic EX-T 1.5L

I've been a Honda owner since 30 years and I'm starting to think switching company more and more. My 2016 Civic has yet and another problem with the air conditioning. And it started only after 29 months of use of my vehicle and 71 000km of use. My dealer told me the compressor is the problem and also the condenser. But only the first one is covered under the NEW 10 years warranty by Honda Canada. They extended the 3 years to 10 years this summer but for the compressor only... This part cost around $1500.00. I'm negotiating with my dealer and Honda Canada at this points and hoping for the best for me. But this is probably my last Honda because this problem along with the recurrent one for the radio is very annoying and has drained all my love for Honda. For your information I've had also air conditioning problem with all of my Honda but always after 4-5 years of use, not 29 months.

- Gaétan B., Trois Rivieres, quebec, canada

Civic Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

At the start of the summer, I started noticing that sometimes when the car is idling or traveling slowly for long periods of time(rush hour traffic), the A/C will stop blowing cold air and blow pretty warm air. There's also a distinct smell that comes from the A/C when this happens. The A/C will continue to blow warm for several minutes or until I start traveling at a higher speed, then the A/C will go back to cold. I have also gotten it to blow cold air again by shutting off the A/C when it starts struggling, and then turning it back on a minute later, which usually resolves the issue.

I took it into the dealer recently, and they told me the refrigerant levels are fine and they didn't see any issues with it, but yet the issue persists. It doesn't seem like I am having an issue with refrigerant leaking, but the A/C system is not working as it should. I hope Honda addresses this issue with a recall, as they should. This is my first Honda and may be my last if this goes unresolved. Never owned a Toyota with this issue, and I live in AZ where A/C is an absolute must.

- zsimpson09, Gilbert, US

May 012019

Civic LX 2.0L

2016 Civic AC has been blowing warm out of the passenger vents for some time now. Bought from Ray Price Honda Stroudsburg PA. Loan financed by Honda financial. Honda said I am out of the CPO warranty period. Said go to the dealer and pay for a diagnostic which I was told by the dealer that they don't give any estimates on diagnosis. They eventually said it will be $300+ just for the diag. I was given a case number but not any assurance that anything will be covered. I don't know if I will do the drag considering the posts on here don't say that it was covered and the prices for the compressor are really expensive.

This sucks and I wish I knew this before I bought a Honda. Their attitude and level of concern about this or me in general is disappointing. Seems like they are annoyed and just want me to go away.

Customer service for my toilet paper holder was better...

- Jarett S., Scranton, PA, US

Aug 042019

Civic EX-L 1.5L 4-cyl

I have a problem with the AC compressor and the solution to the problem. Honda however for some reason does not have the part available (Compressor Clutch) to fix my car. So at the moment for a week or so maybe longer since there's no ETA on the back order of the part, I'm either forced to drive around 110F+ weather without AC or pay $200 per week for rental. This should be a recall, no compressor system should fail catastrophically this early, hence why maybe there aren't enough parts to fix all the problems.

- Pye Pye W., Phoenix, US

Jul 142019

Civic EX 2.0L

• CVT transmission

ac not working!!!!!!!!!!!! tried closing off door side vents to get cooler air! but nothing! ac not working! 90 degrees outside 90 degrees inside? now I'm hearing 850 to recharge system! or is there a fix? yes or no !!!!!...time to sell?

- Eddie L., Enfield, CT, US

Jun 222019

Civic EX

I have a 2016 Honda Civic EX that I bought in Maryland. It only has 30,000 miles on it. Last month, I noticed that the A/C was not working properly. It only blows cold air on the passenger side and it blows warm air on the driver side. I thought I was covered under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, but I was informed today by the Honda dealership that I was about 6 months past the warranty since the car was serviced in November 2015. I did not use my A/C during the winter months so I did not know there was a problem until the summer and now I am past the warranty and Honda will not cover it. I was told that it would cost $127 to do an evacuation test to see if there was a leak. I went forward with the test and Honda told me that there is a leak and I need the entire A/C compressor unit to be replaced, which they quoted me $1,360. I should not have to spend $1,360 to fix the A/C compressor when my car is only 3 years old and has 30,000 miles on it. Honda should extend their warranty to fix this issue or there should be a recall. I would like to continue driving Honda Civics, but I am worried about getting another one if that means I have to fix the A/C in a couple of years.

- Amber K., Westminster, MD, US

Jun 172019

Civic EX-L

• CVT transmission

Summer #2 of AC issues with my 2016 Civic. Last year, a valve was broken, so that had to be fixed and the AC was recharged. This summer, AC is again not working. Take it into the Honda dealership near my home, they can't find anything wrong with the AC. Their only suggestion is for me to pay $850 to recharge the system. I take the car back without the repair to get price quotes for the recharge. I call a few dealers and they state they are seeing a lot of 2016 Civics in for AC recharges because the system leaks Freon because of a design issue. I call Honda and the person I speak with states that Honda is aware that the 2016 Civic "is consuming Freon rapidly." I guess in Honda's mind, consuming and leaking are the same thing. I truly hate this car. I am furious that I have to pay about $500 to recharge Freon for Honda's inability to design an AC system that doesn't leak the new Freon.

- Amanda C., Severn, US

Jun 032019

Civic V4

This car is a 2016 but was sold new in 2017. I bought this car in November, 2018 with only about 12,000 miles on it. Now, in June 2019 (7 months later), the A/C is blowing hot air for about 30 minutes before it even starts to cool off. I have not taken it to the dealership yet.

- Sharon R., Greenacres, US

Jul 222019

Civic Touring

• CVT transmission

Air conditioning stopped working last Fall (2018) when I was out of warranty. After looking online I decided to wait to take it in since it was out of warranty, it was cooling off, and maybe Honda would decide to recognize the problem. With Summer in full swing took it this week to dealer. Learned that the compressor will have to be replaced along with clutch for the compressor (?) and it is back ordered. Estimate is 1800. Waiting for a call when the part comes in. I don't buy Hondas to experience problems like this. My prior civic never had mechanical problems and my prior Accord which I finally sold with 250,000 miles on it never had mechanical problems. I expect better. I'm going to be calling American Honda Motors to have a chat with them - faulty AC and issue of not having parts.

- Paul C., South Pasadena, US

Jun 122019

Civic LX

Compressor is leaking and it is covered under warranty. BUT, the part is on back order with no release date. I have to just take the car back and live with it. Makes me feel like Honda does not care about their customers. If they did then they would keep this part that is failing often in stock to minimize inconvenience. Honda is not doing enough to get in front of this situation and is not taking ownership of this issue. Honda has to evolve from it's parts just in time concept to a more customer-centric model. We will be seeing a long time giant in the industry go down.

- John L., Geneva, US

Apr 012019

Civic LX 2

MY ac does not work and i am out of warranty. the problem is the gas type is r1234yf, no repair to it because it new and dealer asked for 2500 dollars to repair. i don't know what to do.

- Zaid K., El Cajon, US

Civic LX 2.0L

I ONLY BUY HONDA MY WHOLE LIFE AND I'M GETTING PISSED OFF AT THEM.

I JUST BOUGHT THIS HONDA CIVIC 2016 AND THE AC STOPPED WORKING.

THE CAR ONLY HAS 37,000KM ON IT WHICH IS PRETTY MUCH A NEW CAR, AND NOW I'M SWEATING IN MY CAR BECAUSE THE AC IS NOT WORKING. WHAT MAKES THINGS WORSE IS THE F*CKING HONDA SERVICES PEOPLE TOLD ME MY CAR IS OUT OF WARRANTY BECAUSE THE CAR IS OVER 3 YEARS OLD.

I F*CKING TRADED IT FOR ANOTHER CAR.....

ITS TIME FOR HONDA TO HAVE A RECALL FOR THIS CAR