2016 Honda Civic AC / heater problems: A/C not working properly

A/C Not Working Properly

2016 Honda Civic (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.4

$1,030

2. replace compressor (8 reports)
  3. replace condenser (5 reports)
  4. A/C evac, recharge, replace line (3 reports)
  5. the compressor was replaced under warranty and now is cold (1 reports)
2016 Honda Civic AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda Civic:

2016 Honda Civic Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 312019

Civic

It really sucks to buy a brand new HONDA Civic, thinking wow, I've bought myself a great car with an excellent reputation. Then after only 2-1/2 years, boom, the A/C goes out and you find yourself having to fork over $1,000 to pay for it. GEEZ. I would never recommend a Honda to anyone after this experience. My mom and dad have NEVER owned a car where the A/C ever stopped working. WHAT A JOKE.

- Emmery F., Chicago, US

Jul 022019

Civic LX 1.5L

Took to the Honda dealership in hopes to have this documented and show I had it fixed correctly. Cost was 1,972.35. This seemed excessive to other quotes I've seen online. They did take $200 off after I asked. Worried the new compressor they put in will leak in three years as well.

- Richard C., Dublin, US

Jul 132019

Civic Touring 1.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I bought this car in Feb 2016. The Air Conditioning didn't even make it a year at about 12K miles stopped blowing enough cool air. I took it into my dealer the summer of 2016 while under warranty and they said it is working as designed. 2016 Civic's apparently don't come with A/C since this is just a fan function similar to a swamp cooler in my opinion. I started putting sun shades in the windows to keep the interior from heating up too much but it really didn't help much.

Then I took it to my dealer in the summer of 2017 and they said they said I needed a recharge and they did that for no charge even though I was over the 30K mile warranty. It was slightly better for a month or two but then went back to blowing very little cool air. The summer of 2018 I parked it in my garage to keep it from heating up the interior and the pathetic air conditioner was marginally better.

Now I've made it to the summer of 2019 and I just tell everyone I love the car but the A/C sucks. Its very embarrassing for me and you would think this would be embarrassing for Honda. I thought about tinting the windows but I'm not going to just put a band-aid on this lemon. I would like to keep it and get the A/C fixed but I see others have fixed it for thousands of dollars and it just goes bad again.

At this point I'm thinking about trading it in. I had Toyotas for many years and never had any major problems. My first Toyota in the 80's came with no A/C and this Civic reminds me of this first Toyota I had. So I switch to Honda 3 decades later and this happens. Looks like I should have stuck with Toyotas.

By the way I have reported this issue to Mission Hills Honda twice with no resolution. JD Power also sent me a survey about my vehicle and I hammered this problem home to them. I guess I'll lodge a complaint to Honda next. Honda is getting a bad reputation by ignoring this problem. I told my Mission Hills dealer who act like there is no problem that the A/C on this vehicle has a design flaw and that the A/C sucks and I let everyone know about it.

- Steve S., Simi Valley, CA, US

Apr 102019

Civic EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

After purchasing this car used at 18,000 miles after two years, I noticed the A/C made a gurgling noise over the summer. It still appeared to work and was likely air bubbles in the AC refrigerant system. After a mild winter, the A/C did not work whatsoever and outputted hotter air than the ambient temperature (at 23,000 miles or so). I could not get this fixed for a few months, as the car was covered under the dealership's extended warranty while I was at school a few states over.

When I got it fixed, the dealership didn't initially carry the refrigerant to test for leaks (r-1234yf). After getting that sorted out, the leak wasn't found for the first few hours after a dyed recharge. After a week, the AC died again. Finally, the leak was found. The condenser needed a full replacement. The total cost was about $850 for the repair work, but I was lucky enough to get it covered by the extended warranty.

Overall, a major annoyance, but not the end of the world. Sad to see this problem at such a low mileage count, however. This appears to be an issue with the new A/C system in the 2016+ model Civics.

- soyardee, Minneapolis, US

Jun 072019

Civic EX-T 1.5L

• CVT transmission

For a car this new with low mileage, I didn't expect the compressor to just die. The cost would have been $1,200 if I didn't have the extended warranty.

- Sony L., Leola, PA, US

May 212017

Civic EX 2.5L

I bought this car new. In August 2016. In may 2017 I noticed the AC was not so cold. It blew hot air from the front vents and hot air on the sides. I took it in and was told the freon was empty and I would have to pay to replace it. I payed and left.

- Elizabeth V., Coachella, US

Jun 172019

Civic LX 4 cyl

Fact: Purchased new in May 2016

- On Mon, June 17/19, started the AC for the first time this year. Found out it is not working.

- On Tue. June 18/19, started the AC again, did not work.

- On Wed. June 19/19, at 16:40ET, I phoned Family Honda(905-595-4500) in Brampton, Ontario about the AC issue and other issue. I wanted to book it for service on coming Saturday (June 22/19) since I work Monday Friday.

The lady on the phone told me that "since it is under warranty, the work should be booked during the week only. I was surprised about this type of service. So I booked for warranty service during the week, Thursday, June 20/19.

- On Thur. June 20/19 (39,000km, about 24,375 miles), I took my car in for the booked time after work. The guy at the service desk told me that "warranty is not valid, and for the dealership to run a diagnostic it will cost me $185CAD [+tax]. I told him that I was told by his colleague that it is under warranty and the km is only 39,000. He said I might have had a miscommunication. I told him that I did not have any miscommunication. I believe what she said. If Honda a employee behaves this way, how can we trust people? I came home without fixing the car.

Then, later in the evening I have received a message saying that "I have missed my scheduled appointment for my CIVIC...". I still believe, certain things should not be automated, customer service.

I am an owner of two Honda vehicles since 2008 and I have been telling all my family and friends that "I will be Honda forever", today Honda changed my mind.

Doing the right thing includes "being honest and apologize, and offer solution".

- Estelle K., Brampton, ON, Canada

Apr 012019

Civic LX 2.0L

yet another honda with defective a/c. dash lights indicate a/c is on but compressor will not engage.

- J H., Pleasant Valley, US

Jun 012019

Civic Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Just found that my Civic's A/C isn't working properly. Last Saturday was the first time I really needed the A/C in my car. Never really kept up and it only got up to 80 here. Max AC and we were barely comfortable. Not the same as when the car was new. Sad to see I'm not alone, though that makes me nervous that this will be a recurring issue if I keep the car long term (unless Honda puts out a new part and TSB to make sure fixes are adequate).

- Tim E., Eagle Mountain, UT, US

Jun 012017

Civic EX 2

They replaced condenser under warranty. The same problem has occurred 3 more times!!! Out of warranty! I took it to private mechanic he can’t find a leak so he recharged the unit with Freon which cost $350.00 each time it works for a while. Then eventually no cold air. This car is a lemon!!!

- Diana R., Vista, CA, US

Apr 172018

Civic Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Honda quality and service is not what it used to be and after being a Honda owner for 19 straight years (3 vehicles, 5 within the family), this will be our last Honda. They do not own up to their mistakes and poor craftsmanship.

A/C was not blowing cool air in April 2018 on a very warm day. It's possible the A/C broke well before that, but I don't use the A/C on cool days.

Honda diagnosed it. Initially accused me of contaminating the refrigerant, which turned out to be false. Then attempted to "fix" it by replacing the suction hose. It did resolve the issue temporarily and was free to resolve under warranty at 29,795 miles (about 29 months into my warranty - I was an early adopter of the 2016 Civic with apparent poor factory setup).

Fast forward to June 2019, at about 41,500 miles and 7 months out of warranty. The exact same symptoms have occurred. This was the first day that I experienced really warm weather since August 2018, so I had no need to use the A/C. Unfortunately, Honda diagnosed the problem as a defective/broken compressor and charged me $1444 to repair/replace. I called Honda case manager, and they only offered to cover half of the cost out of their "good will". Unfortunately, their poor quality and service has held me hostage, otherwise I will have to suffer in 90 degree weather in LA traffic.

Now I'm out $700 and have to live in fear of the A/C breaking every year. After all, it broke twice in less than 4 years. Probability is relatively high that it will break again and Honda will not own their mistakes. No thank you, Honda.

- jinduy, Temple City, US

Oct 182018

• CVT transmission

I bought my car with 43,000 miles. Drove it til it was around 59,000 miles and the AC stopped blowing cold. I did some research online and diagnosed my car myself to find out that the AC Compressor was defective. It leaked out all the refrigerant.

Took it to the dealership, and 5 hours later, they confirmed that the AC compressor was bad. As it turned out, the AC compressor for these cars are defective from factory. A lot of people faced the same problem.

Honda was quoting me almost $2000 for part(s) and labor.

I was not happy about it.

But since it was a known problem, they covered the part(s) and I still had to pay out of pocket for the labor.

Still burned a big hole in my pocket.

Upset at how bad the quality is now.

- Ben R., 92220, US

May 282019

Civic EX 2.0L

I have been a long time Honda customer (18 years), A/C compressor's don't blow out at 50 K miles. This is definitely a design issue with the 2016 Honda Civic. Honda needs to own up and fix this issue. I registered a complaint with Honda, they said they there are not many complaints about this issue and there is no recall, and that the warranty expires at 45 K . The dealer was charging $1950 to fix this issue after already charging $190 for running diagnostic.

I see a boat load of complaints online. This will probably be my last Honda car.

- Zak M., Franklin, US

May 012019

Civic

2.5 years new and the AC condenser already leaking, seems like a common issue with the 10th generation of civic. Even though it was covered by warranty at this time, I have little faith that the replacement will have any longevity. Extremely disappointed that a new car already has costly problem!!!!

- Millicent L., Mississauga, ON, Canada

May 172019

Civic EX 2.0L Na

A/C is gone while the car only has 30k miles on it.

It just happened actually not too long after the warranty expired.

AC Compressor's not kick in at all. and refrigerant are gone and pressure are lower than ground zero on the Low pressure side.

This seems like a bad design of the condenser as most people experienced.

- Marcus L., Bayside, US

Mar 222019

Civic

The AC goes on and off on hot days. When set at the coldest temperature it still will not kick in. On the first start of the car on a hot day it takes over an hour of driving before the AC turns on cold.

- Raul V., Lynwood, CA, US

May 182019

Civic LX 2.0L V4

We had an extreme winter season here this year with -30°C daily temperature and it lasted longer than usual from Nov 2018 - Apr 2019. In last 6-7 months, I have never turned on AC in my 2016 Honda Civic LX and now its summer here and Victoria Day long weekend. It was +25°C yesterday and I tried to turn my AC on but it wasn't blowing cold air as it should be. I tried to set it on lowest temp setting which is +15°C with the highest fan setting and turned off Auto setting but still it wasn't cooling even after half an hour of highway driving and AC running.

So, just to make sure, I open up the fuse box and located the 10V fuse for Air compressor and replaced with the new 10V fuse to see if it solves the problem. This hack didn't work. There could be an issue with the relay itself but at this point I am not sure. It could be just the low refrigerant issue as well

Lastly, I checked the clutch which engages the air compressor to make it running and I saw that that clutch wasn't spinning with the engine belt. There should not be any issues with the compressor because the car is just less than three year old with 80k kms on it.

At this point I am thinking its just low refrigerant but the good thing is my car is still under Honda Plus Warranty that's why I am not planning on doing anything myself. Its Victoria day long weekend here so on Tuesday I am gonna call the dealership and take my car for the inspection and see what happens. I will keep you guys posted.

I am also open for any suggestions if you guys would like to share.

Thanks.

- Yash T., Hamilton, ON, Canada

May 012018

Civic

I just found this site and wanted to add a complaint about my 2016 Honda Civic. I bought this car new in February 2016. In May 2018 my husband and I noticed that the car wasn't getting cool when the air was on. He took it to the dealer and they did something (I cannot remember what, I will have to go through my file). My husband took it back to the dealer as the car just wasn't getting as cool as it should. Upon further inspection he was told that the air condenser was damaged and had to be replaced. This would not be covered under warranty because it is result of every day wear and tear and not a manufactured defect. My husband has never heard of this happening with a 2 year old car.

We couldn't afford to have Honda fix it so we went to a mechanic that my husband uses (he does not have a Honda). It still cost $$$ but was a lot cheaper than the dealer. The mechanic couldn't believe that Honda would not cover this under warranty. He didn't think the damage could have been caused by a rock or some other debris. He even gave us the old condenser in case we wanted to pursue this further with Honda. Was it worth taking them to small claims court?

My husband made some calls and I think he filed a complaint with the BBB. Nothing ever came of this. I had some other minor issues that are not worth complaining about but one thing I do know is, I will never buy another Honda.

- Sheri M., Philadelphia, PA, US

Oct 012018

• CVT transmission

So I started to noticed my AC was blowing warm air. I soon took it into a dealership and they ran a diagnosis on it and then soon found that a rock went through my condenser. It will not be covered with warranty since it wasn't caused by the manufacturer defect. So, I had to spend about $700 to replace the condenser and a freon and labor.

Everything was fine but about I drove about 32,000 miles it started to happen again. I took it once again to the dealership and said there might be a small or big leak. Since I already drove it 12,000 miles my warranty was ended after I drove it at over at 105,000 (current miles). So they gave an option to clean all the systems AC line without any computer diagnosed, so they added a new freon, and a tracer capsule into the compressor system line to keep everything "lubricated" inside the compressor. Then, they also added dye into the AC lines for it to determine where the leak is coming from. This was very hard to tell because I have to drive it close to 12,000 miles if the same problem occurs again I have to run the same diagnosis again in order for them to determine where the leak is at.

- Rafid G., San Diego, CA, US

Jun 162016

Civic LX 2.0L V4

The problem occurred when I use the front defrost for front windshield. After I restart the car and turn on the AC by pressing on the button ON, the AC starts on full speed. This was not my setting before, it was on low speed when I turn off the car.

- Jassim A., Manams, Bahrain