7.8

1. replace sensors (7 reports)
2009 Hyundai Santa Fe fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Nov 252017

Santa Fe Limited V6

I've read many complaints since investigating after this happened and am shocked how difficult and expensive this amateurish design flaw is to correct. There should definitely be a manufacture recall issued for this. Hope someone holds Hyundai's feet to the fire over this.

- , Elizabethton, US

Sep 022017

Santa Fe 3.2L V6

My daughter and I purchased this car on Thursday night, she drove it Friday and on Saturday we decided to fill the gas tank (the dealership we bought it from did not do that for us - now I know why). As soon as we filled the tank, it registered empty! Had the dealership gave us the car with a tank of gas, we would have known this was an issue. Now we are trying to get them to fix this since it is a big problem in the '07 - '09 vehicles. NOT FAIR, this should be a recall!!

- , Union Grove, US

Nov 012016

Santa Fe EX V6

I have heard about this problem so much that I think Hyundai should issue a recall notice and pay for the repair.

The engine light is on constantly which renders it useless for any other faults it should read.

- , Ephrata, US

Sep 142017

Santa Fe 3.3L V6

CAR WAS REGISTERING 3/4 OF A TANK. MISSED WHEN I STARTED IT SO I THOUGHT MAYBE BAD GAS. FILLED IT UP NOW TANK REGISTERS EMPTY.

- , Johnson City, US

Aug 022017

Santa Fe 2.7L

Wow - after reading all the issues with the fuel level sensor, Hyundai should recall these cars with this issue. So frustrating to put gas in your car and then the next day it shows empty and then the engine light comes on. I had purchased a used Sonata and after a few days the engine light came on - too expensive to fix so I traded it in and bought a 09 Santa Fe which I love - but this is so frustrating.

- , Dallas, US

Dec 062016

Santa Fe SE

Check engine light went on and gas gauge was not reading fuel level. After diagnostics were run it was discovered that a fuel sensor needed to be replaced. Had both replaced only to have one of the replaced sensors fail again and had to bring it back to have it replaced AGAIN. This is a costly repair and given that I have under 60,000 miles on the car I am shocked that this would be an issue at all. After speaking with another Hyundai 2009 Santa Fe owner I learned they also had this problem and had to have their sensors replaced and it issue was not covered by warranty. This should be investigated as a possible recall item.

- , Medford, US

Apr 032010

Santa Fe LX 3.2L V6

Fuel gauge never works right even when gas tank is full! Never know how much gas I have. One time I thought I saw sparks flying from back of car while driving at night. Also when tank is full, car has trouble starting and only turns on when I gun the engine and even then it takes off in spurts and then dies and I have to re-start engine. Very. very annoying. Left me stranded on side of the road on Mother's Day in middle of nowhere where I had to walk and luckily a couple stopped to help me. I am so angry and frustrated. I thought Hyundai was a great car until now. I think there should be a recall since Many people have the same problem. There have been 737 complaints been filed on this website with Sante Fe owners having the SAME problem! What does it take for a car manufacturer to issue a recall?

- , Corpus Christi, US

Nov 132016

Santa Fe Limited 3.2L V6

I live in Ma. and we have inspections every year and my auto won't pass because the check engine light is on because the fuel level sensors aren't working. It is considered a safety violation and I can't drive my auto until I get it fixed. Price quoted to me between $600-$800 just so my gas gauge will work. This problem shouldn't be setting off the check engine light on, if the sensors are't working you can tell by your gas gauge. My state feels that any time a check engine light is on the vehicle must be fixed because it is a safety problem. I feel that Hyndai is responsible because they wired these sensors to the check engine light and that causes serious problems in some states. This should be recalled as I see this problem from thousands of Hyndai owners.

- , Feeding Hills, US