2019 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 102021

Santa Fe

The engine stalled while driving on highway at 65 miles per hour. When I tried to push the gas the vehicle was resisting to speed. When I took a nearest exit, the car suddenly jerked and slowed on its own without me pressing any brakes. Somehow I managed to drive to a nearest parking area and called for assistance. When it jerked and slowed suddenly the person behind me honked so hard. May be the person barely missed hitting my back of the car. It was a scary experience.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Aug 022021

Santa Fe

The car engine completely shuts off while driving multiple times. While driving on highway and the streets the car just stops almost causing an accident. In order to get the car off the road we had to move it physically off the road.

- North Balwin, NY, USA

Sep 102021

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Aug 022021

- North Balwin, NY, USA

Jun 132021

Santa Fe

Stop / Start does not engage at stop light. Dealer finally replace battery and battery cable. This did fix problem. I understand this could be a starter problem and or software problem. The battery does not charge above the 70% required to engage stop /start.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Sep 042020

Santa Fe

Ya he llevado 4 O 5 veces mi carro al dealer, el lado de driving cuando yo entro a cierto drive way hace un sonido extrao al igual si me parkeo en riversa Y tengo que mover el quia para la derecha tambien, 4/21/2021 me hicieron un trabajo Y desde esa fecha el motor esta teniendo un sonido extrao Y la reboluciones.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Apr 192021

Santa Fe

The idle down feature stopped working several months ago. No change in how the engine runs when we get to a stop sign or traffic light. When we called the dealership maybe in February, they said they hadn't seen the problem yet. My wife found an article about the problem and it said that several cars had caught fire or stalled in traffic. Taking it to the dealer on 5/4/2021. The rear power gate also has started malfunctioning. Not sure if they are related as of yet.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Feb 252021

Santa Fe

My wife was dropping off a friend at his house using the brakes to come to a stop. The vehicle suddenly accelerated into the garage damaging the right front of the vehicle and the garage. I can only include the vehicle photo due to photo size limitations. Her friend was a witness to the accident I estimate total damage to garage and vehicle to be $10000. Hyundai said to call back tomorrow.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Dec 052020

Santa Fe 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. The contact stated while driving at 65 mph, a thick, grayish smoke entered the vehicle cabin from the rear, passenger side without warning. The contact immediately pulled over and requested all occupants to exit the vehicle. As the contact began to call 911, an officer nearby came over to assist the contact. The fire department eventually arrived at the scene and extinguished the fire. No injuries were reported and both a fire and police reports were filed. Due to the failure, the contact had the vehicle initially towed to an independent mechanic and once insurance was contacted about the failure, they deemed the vehicle a total loss. The insurance then had the vehicle towed to another independent mechanic where it remained in their possession. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and initially offered to assist the contact with the purchase of another vehicle. Hyundai then sent out an investigator to inspect the vehicle and their assessment determined that the fire was caused by defective wiring harness attached to the trailer hitch. The manufacturer offered no further assistance after the conclusion of the investigation. The vehicle had been destroyed. The failure mileage was approximately 41,000. Consumer filed a claimed with U-haul they spoke to Hyundai and Hyundai blames on wiring hitch because it was installed after purchased.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Dec 042020

Santa Fe

My 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe had sudden unintended acceleration while I was trying to park the car in the parking lot. It suddenly crossed over the parking cement block and jumped into the sidewalk landscape and then stopped. The airbag also deployed due to this incident. I did not step on the gas pedal.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Aug 132020

Santa Fe

Stopped the car at a red light and the idle stop and go (isg) feature has turned off the engine... once the green light turned on, I pressed gas and the engine did not start and after couple of attempts all warning lights turned on and I was not able to use the key to start the engine aswell. And so I had to turn off the key completely and then start the engine... bought the certified pre-owned car at 38000 miles in Feb 2020 and this happened only once in August 2020 and the mileage was about 39800 during that time. Luckily I had only one car at my back who honked on me continuously... I was not able to reproduce the issue afterwards but to be honest I kept only about 50 miles since then. I am afraid if I would get stalled one fine day... and also afraid Hyundai service center would just say not reproducible and may just say to turn off the feature may be?

- Cary, NC, USA

Apr 192020

Santa Fe

I had this issue since I got the car, only the issue has occured progressed more as months went by. Now at 21,000 miles, engine makes a rattle sound for 2-3 seconds during cold startup and then goes away. Only happens when engine is in a complete cold-state (early morning) or not driven for a few hours.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 142019

Santa Fe

When sitting at red lights, the engine completley shuts off. I have to push the push start at least 10 times before the engine will restart. This keeps happening. I'm worried I will get stranded. I would like to leave it with Hyundai service, but to my understanding they do not offer rentals. My vehicle only had 16000 miles when this issue began. I paid 38000 for this vehicle and now to my understanding, to have it serviced I will have to pay for the rental. My safely should be more of a concern. Hyundai motor America should be very concerned. They should have requested a tow and offered a rental as soon as I mentioned this issue!!! no, instead I have to leave it at the dealer in hopes the issue is found quickly, so I don't run up a huge rental bill plus pay my monthly car note. What if my vehicle just shuts down going 65 on the freeway" will I have braking power" I don't know what to do. I could be in major danger.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 182019

Santa Fe

The contact owns a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe. While driving 17 mph, the bca braking system engaged, the vehicle lost power, and all the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact turned the vehicle off and back on, which returned it back to normal. The vehicle was taken to O'brien Hyundai ft myers (2850 colonial blvd, fort myers, fl 33966, (239) 880-8631) where it was test driven for approximately 77 miles; however, the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and provided the contact with case number: 16693618 and a loaner vehicle. The contact referenced NHTSA id number: 10167260. The failure mileage was approximately 16,000.

- North Fort Myers, FL, USA

Dec 102019

Santa Fe

Previous Hyundai vehicle caught fire. At the time the cause was unknown. Was forced by Hyundai to buy back vehicle and purchased a brand new Hyundai vehicle. I was never told that this was a brand wide issue and that the new vehicle I purchased would end up under the same recall that caused previous vehicle to catch fire. I am terrified to drive this vehicle. I contacted Hyundai to explain the situation and have been dealing with an unprofessional customer representative. I am fearful for my life in this vehicle and explained when I purchased the new one that I did not want to ever go through this situation again.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 282019

Santa Fe

I have a brand new 2019 Santa Fe ultimate 2.0T leased in August with 1600 miles and I have already had the car in twice where they have had to recalibrated the transmission. Whenever I was at a stop or waiting to make a turn I would put my foot on the gas pedal and the rpms would go up but the car wouldn't move. I was almost rear ended a couple of times because the car wouldn't go into gear and move with the gas pedal pushed all the way down to the floor and then all of sudden the transmission would shift into gears. This should not be happening to a brand new car! looking at different models this seems to be an on going problem with Hyundai. I haven't been able to enjoy my car because it's been in the shop. They fix it and it works for a week or so and then it happens again. Something is definitely wrong! I was told if it happens again then they will call the main headquarters. They should be doing that already to find out how to fix it once and for all so I don't have to keep coming back. I hope you will look into this matter.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 262019

Santa Fe

This is a report on a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0L turbo with less than 1600 miles. There is a significant amount of fuel in the oil. Allowable limits are less than 2.0% from normal causes. This engine has 3.3%, enough to be a problem.the oil level is rising on the stick. The 5W/30 oil has been thinned to the consistency of 20W oil. Dealer shrugged it off and claimed that driving a 100 mile trip would return all to normal.

- Hudson, WI, USA

Mar 012019

Santa Fe

I bought Santa Fe 2019 limited fwd, it has an issue with acceleration, it hesitates around 2000 RPM, it create a big issue when I change lane to overtake or driving to uphill, I have to push acceleration padel really down to keep going. It jerks sometimes. I took two Hyundai dealers for check and both said nothing wrong with car, they did not find any code or issue. It is so frustrating sometimes. My 12-year-old Pilot has a better ride and performance than 2019 Santa Fe. This is my first Hyundai car and I paid a lot of money. I liked the interior, info system, and external look. Looks like to me issue with transmission gear shifting

- Burke, VA, USA

Aug 252019

Santa Fe

On a brand new 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe, the engine stalled twice while driving the vehicle at low speeds into/out of a parallel parking space on a village street. I had to restart the engine in order to continue maneuvering the vehicle. This was very dangerous as I could have been hit by oncoming traffic.

- Great Neck, NY, USA

Jul 082019

Santa Fe

Painful low frequency cabin pressure when idling and driving at low speeds under 30mph. Happens consistently and only subsides when stopped or accelerating

- Renton, WA, USA