2019 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems: stalled while driving

Stalled While Driving

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

9.0

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe:

2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Owner Comments

Apr 012020

Santa Fe LX 2.4L

Car does not start from the cold engine off status. The car's electrical system starts however the engine does not start. The steering wheel is locked, wheels are straight, brake pedal is locked and will not depress. I have to repeatedly press the start button, attempting to depress brake and still not start. After 5-15 minutes have passed if I pull the steering wheel left, with the assistance of a strong man I can release the phenomena and the engine will start. My dealership denies ever hearing of this issue. It has happened at least 10 times in the last 4 months.

- Marjorie O., Clearwater, FL, US

May 112019

Santa Fe

I was driving back home from my trip and stopped to wait for the lights to change, after the light changed to green the vehicle wouldn't start. I just couldn't understand what was going on with my new vehicle with 1500 miles. Luckily the lights on the vehicle was working so I turned the hazard lights on to prevent an accident. I tried starting the vehicle but it wouldn't start. The display screen said something like, "warning electrical discharge" suggesting that the problem had to do with the electrical system or electronic system. I got out of the car for a few seconds, went back inside, tried to start the car and it started but stopped at the next light. This went on for several episodes of start stop, until a mechanic guy was passing and tried to help. I open the hood and he looked around and said some electrical cord to the engine was loosened. He tightened the lead and I drive to the next light and the vehicle shutdown again. I got out of the car for a few minutes and got back inside and it started. I was able to drive back to the dealer but they were closed for the day. I am still waiting to take the car to the dealer for a computer diagnostic. This was a very stressful and brightening experience that could have resulted in an accident. For a new vehicle this is not very encouraging.

- FRANK J., Germantown, MD, US