2010 Hyundai Sonata accessories - exterior problems: door handles fall off

Door Handles Fall Off

2010 Hyundai Sonata (Page 2 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of

7.4

1. replace door handle (25 reports)
  2. replaced handle (6 reports)
  4. replace handles (4 reports)
  5. replace the door handle (4 reports)
  6. replaced handles (1 reports)
2010 Hyundai Sonata accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Hyundai Sonata:

2010 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 142014

Sonata

Leaving work I went to open the back door, behind the drivers side to put my back pack in and the handle just comes flying off the door. I was really dumbfounded. I was 60 y/o at the time and have had cars since I was 17 and had never ever had a door handle come off. Never period, and when my wife took the car to the dealer for another recall they told her that it was not covered and would cost with the paint job around $200. I knew that was without tax . It amazed me that after I contacted the dealer again that he insisted it was not covered. I calmly told him that my back door was not used enough times ,or even used roughly for this to have happened. Once again no help. At that point I refused to spend money to fix a door that I hardly ever use. It was not about the money but the principal of the matter.

If you are reading this you can continue to my second problem same as the first in my next posting.

- , Middle Village, NY, USA

Apr 152016

Sonata GLS 4 cyl

I replaced one door handle already on the driver side rear door. NOW the passenger side front door handle has also fallen off. This makes no sense. It must be a cheap piece of crap.

- , Lakeside, CA, USA

Apr 202015

Sonata GLS 4 cyl

Door handles are not supposed to fall off in your hand under normal use. There must be really cheap workmanship holding it in place.

- , Lakeside, CA, USA

Nov 202014

Sonata SE 2.0L V4

Frustrated ... I've had both exterior door handles on my driver side break, there was no accident or excessive pulling, they just snapped when the weather changed from warm to cold.

Driverside front

&

Driverside rear

Worried about the others all breaking as well, not an easy thing to replace and match to the rest of the exterior.

- , Keller, TX, US

Apr 162016

Sonata GLS 2.4L

First I have heard of a door handle falling off. After reading the reviews, I guess I am lucky I just happened. I really do not want to spend 200 dollars to repair a piece of crap.

- , Plantersville, MS, USA

Sep 012013

door handles fall off

That Is SUPER ANNOYING! Didn't pull hard just trying to open the door. Didn't personally hit, knock, or tap anything or anyone that I knew of but wrote it off as possibly something of that nature even though no scratches on handle. But weird accident no less. Never experienced anything like that before in any of my previous vehicle's.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: CORRECTION UPDATE

MILAGE

the first door handle fell off during 2nd yr ownership in 2013 being a 3yr old vehicle

with 64,000 MILES

Miss read and put current milage when filing complaint.

Mar 072016

Sonata

When my daughter was driving the car, the driver side rear handle came off. She had it replaced, and it came off again. I've been driving it for a couple of months now, and the passenger rear handle fell off yesterday.

- , Johns Island, SC, USA

Feb 152016

door handles fall off

COMPLETELY CONVINCED THIS CAR IS A LEMON!! WITH ONLY ONE DOOR HANDLE LEFT, I FEAR WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THE LAST ONE DOES INDEED COME OFF? WITH STILL A YEAR AND HALF LEFT OF PAYMENTS, I ALSO WONDER WHAT HAPPENS AFTER THAT? TOO MANY THINGS WRONG WITH ONLY 30000 MILES DRIVEN PERSONALLY TO HAVE HAPPENED! FEEL RIPPED OFF PAYING WAY TOO MUCH! AS SECOND SONATA OWNED WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT BE LAST!

Update from Jul 24, 2016: UPDATE TO MISSING 3! DOOR HANDLES Took to local Hyundai dealership, requested assistance from Hyundai USA... DEINED claim!! There are SO MANY COMPLAINTS with this problem its ridiculous to me that Hyundai wouldn't claim ANY ownership on this problem and WANT to back up their product of a major purchase like this. Something that should most certainly be made durable! Got quote on factory replacement. ... $40.00 for part $100.00 for labor AND $85.00 to paint to match car THATS $225.00 !!! EACH! ! ! ! DOOR HANDLE!!!!! SO FOR 3 OF THEM THAT'S A WOOPING $675.00! !! Or $420.00 for 3 black handles to be installed by factory. My solution, searched for hyundai part # for my Sonata, found BRAND NEW four door handles matching model # in Hyundai box shipped from Korea where made.. for $40.00!!!!!!! Found video on YouTube made from other (s) with same fate and fixed it ourselves.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: Will be LAST Hyundai ill EVER buy or invest in! When a company will not back up their product and production to be actually used by customer or care when its not

May 012014

door handles fall off

Okay now the SECOND DOOR HANDLE. This time the DRIVERS DOOR much more frustrating as I now know it's nothing but the broken piece of plactic on the worst car.

Update from Jul 24, 2016: UPDATE CORRECTION

VEHICLE MILAGE

73,000 MILES When second handle fell off in 2014

Feb 112016

Sonata GLS

It started with one of the rear door handles and now ALL 4 door handles have broken off in the coarse of a year or so (cheap plastic handles). I have temporarily fixed the front two with twisted coat hangers and zip ties.

- , Sadieville, KY, USA

Feb 182016

Sonata LS 4

All three exterior door handles failed on the 2010 Hyundai sonata over the course of the past year. Reported to Hyundai America, they said it was not under warranty, but scheduled a free service at the local Hyundai dealership. They in turn said they could not fix the handles under warranty. After months of back and forth communication and no resolution, I had the handles fixed at my local garage. I was tired of climbing into the car to get it started and forgetting to leave the windows down so I could reach in and open the door from the inside. I have never had a car where the exterior door handles failed to work. Do not think I will ever buy a Hyundai again.

- , Wells, VT, USA

Feb 032016

Sonata LX V6

I was going to get in my car in a driving rainstorm to go to work and my damn driver's side handle came off in my hand when I pulled it to open the door. This makes door handle number two failed!!!! I had no choice but to rent a car because I had no access at that point! I contacted Hyundai consumer affairs thinking they would cover the cost of their inferior parts. After being assigned a case number and giving them time to contact the dealer, they "denied assistance at this time". Door handles should not fall off regardless of the year and mileage of the car, period!!!

- , Theodore, AL, USA

Jan 242016

Sonata

A friend went to open the passenger side front door and the plastic handle broke off. Door will only open from inside until it gets repaired. I've never seen such a cheap door handle...looks like very cheap plastic. Have owned many vehicles of different makes and never heard of such a problem. Unfortunately, looks like from other postings that repair will run several hundred dollars including labor and that Hyundai has not yet taken responsibility for this widespread problem.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Jan 152015

Sonata SE 2.4L

This was the first foreign made car we ever bought & will definitely be the last! We have a 15 year old Chevy Suburban that has held up better & looks a whole lot better than our 5 year old Sonata. That's pretty pathetic.

- , Carney, OK, USA

Dec 312015

Sonata SE 2.4L-Liter Four-cyl

Rear door handle on drivers side of my 2010 Hyundai Sonata fell off while trying to open the door. Broke off in my hand. I can't believe it! This is a first. Never had ANY handles on ANY other car break off.

With all the complaints on line about Hyundai door handles, this is a real issue and should be considered as a recall. The plastic parts on the Sonatas are poorly made.

- , Plainview, NY, USA

Dec 182015

Sonata

Drivers side door handle fell off about 2 weeks ago, at 57k miles...not covered by warranty, $250 paid out of pocket to fix...nobody was hurt, but it's highly inconvenient, to say the least. Never heard of this kind of problem with any car before this incident, though the customer service at the dealership tried to reassure me by saying this is a common occurrence with this make and model?

- , Mililani, HI, USA

Dec 072015

Sonata GLS 2.4L

I went to merely open the driver's side rear door, and the exterior handle made a popping sound, followed by the sound of something metallic (like a hex nut or fastener) falling on the inside of the interior door panel. The door handle mechanism broke and would not function. I taped the handle's loose end to the door until I could get to the dealer a few days later, lest jarring from the road caused the handle to fall onto the roadway.

I thought it was very odd this would happen, so I researched online about faulty Hyundai door handles. I was overwhelmed by several similar complaints and especially on the 2010 model. I mentioned it to my son, who also has a 2010 Sonata, and unbeknownst to me, his handle broke off in his hand earlier this year.

I asked the dealer to check on any related Hyundai recall, and he found no recall. My repair ran $246 ($172 labor + $74 new handle color-matched to the paint). The service writer remarked that the technician was "very familiar with the problem" and "knew right what to look for."

Hyundai has obviously known about their defective door handles, yet no recall can be found. It's not the severity of the defect that concerns me; it's the fact Hyundai has, by all appearance, failed to own up to the problem. My next car will not likely be another Hyundai.

- , Apple Valley, USA

Nov 202015

Sonata

In the past year 3 out of 4 door handles have had to be replaced! It should be recalled!

- , Milton, FL, US

Aug 162015

Sonata

Was opening back passenger door to let my great granddaughter in and the door handle came off in my hands . I did not pull hard at all on handle. This is the 2nd handle on this car to break. The first one being only a month ago. Have not taken car in yet to have fixed. The other handle I had fixed cost me $ 125.00 with my daughter's 10% discount. This is my second Hyundai I've owed but my next car purchase I will definately put this problem in my decision.

- , Vacaville, CA, USA

Jun 152015

Sonata

Was getting everything ready to go on vacation. Reached for back drivers side door as I pull the handle to open it scratches me and breaks off in my hand. Needed it fixed asap so my daughter took it to a shop next to her work and it cost me $ 125 after her 10% discount they applied.

- , Vacaville, CA, USA