- July 29: Hyundai Elantra Engine Ticking Noise From Pistons: Lawsuit news | 17 days ago
- July 28: Hyundai Santa Fe Transmission Problems Cause Lawsuit news | 18 days ago
- July 2: Hyundai and Kia Theta II Engine Fires Under Investigation investigations | 44 days ago
- June 12: Hyundai and Kia Engine Fires Should Be Investigated investigations | 64 days ago
- June 8: Kia Recalls 507,000 Fortes, Optimas and Sedonas recalls | 68 days ago
Hyundai Recall 132: Connecting Rod Wear May Result In Engine Stall
2012 Hyundai Sonata
Engine failure would result in a vehicle stall, increasing the risk of a crash.
- Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain model year 2011-2012 Sonata vehicles manufactured December 11, 2009, to April 12, 2012 at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama and equipped with either a 2.0 liter or 2.4 liter Gasoline Direct injection engine. In the affected vehicles, metallic debris may not have been fully removed during manufacturing of the engine crankshaft. If the debris was not completely removed, oil flow may be restricted through the connecting rod bearings, causing connecting rod damage. A worn connecting rod bearing will produce a metallic, cyclic knocking noise from the engine and possible engine failure.
- Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the vehicles and replace the engine assembly, as necessary, free of charge. Additionally, Hyundai Motor America will increase the warranty for the engine sub-assembly (short block) to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama equipped with 2.0 liter and 2.4 liter Gasoline Direct injection engines. Interim notifications were mailed to owners starting on October 8, 2015. A second notification will be mailed when parts are available. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-671-3059 or by visiting www.HyundaiUSA.com/Campaign132. Hyundai's number for this recall is 132.
- Documents (19)
- Recall Acknowledgement
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Subject: Recall Campaign 132: 2011-2012 YF Sonata GDI Engine Inspection/Replacement
- Defect Recall 573 Report
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Date: December 07, 2015
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - DATE: December 7, 2015 SUBJECT: Recall Campaign 132 – 2011 – 2012 Sonata GDI Engine Inspection/Replacement (TSB# 15-01-048)
- Remedy Instructions and TSB - NUMBER: 15-01-048 DATE: DECEMBER, 2015
- Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
- ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
- Recall Quarterly Report #2, 2016-2
- Recall Quarterly Report - 2016-Q1
- Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - Recall 132 Dealer Best Practice Guide V4 20170623 1 Date: June 23, 2017
- Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2016-4
- Remedy Instructions and TSB - NUMBER 17-01-046 DATE JUNE 2017 MODEL(S) 2011-2012MY SONATA (YF)
- Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2016-3
- ISSUED Renotification Notice
- Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2017-1
- Recall Quarterly Report #6, 2017-2
- Remedy Instructions and TSB - DATE SEPTEMBER, 2017 NUMBER 17-01-046-1
- Remedy Instructions and TSB
Click a tab for more information.