ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

$4,660

1. replace the transmission & battery (1 reports)
2012 Hyundai Sonata transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Feb 182017

Sonata Hybrid

Other than the car never really accelerating like the non-hybrids we've owned, there was no warning that this was going to happen. We've had it in the Hyundai dealer every 4-6 months for the routine maintenance but it obviously didn't help to lengthen the life of the car. Driving down the road and all of a sudden all the lights come on & say don't drive or you'll damage the Hybrid drive. Very scary & dangerous. I can't believe this hasn't been looked at for a recall. If it had happened on the expressway that we'd just exited, someone could have been killed because it just stopped! Of course the Hyundai dealer quoted us $4700 to fix it, and if we trade it in, they'll give us $1000 for the trade in without fixing it. I told them there's no way I would ever buy another Hyundai. When I called Hyundai customer service to ask for any "good will" help that other companies will offer when it's shortly out of warranty (10k miles) and they know it's been an issue, they told me there's nothing they can do, basically it's my problem. They didn't even seem surprised that they're selling a vehicle that the trans was blown at 110k miles. It's a hard lesson to learn but I have. I will never buy another Hyundai.

- Marianne A., Waterford, US