ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems: no acceleration

No Acceleration

2013 Hyundai Sonata

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

8.4

$3,500

2. replace engine (2 reports)
2013 Hyundai Sonata engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Sonata:

2013 Hyundai Sonata Owner Comments

Sep 152015

Sonata GLS 2.4L 4 cyl

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata and my engine light has been on for over a year now. I contacted my local dealership and even had them to look at the car and they continue to tell me it is my fuel filter. After having my fuel cap, purge canister, and several diagnostics. My engine light is still on. I also have a problem with my car stalling when wanting to accelerate. The dealership states there is nothing wrong with the engine in my car. I am not convinced. There have been several complaints about the engines in these cars and the dealership are refusing to replace or fix them. I do not find this to be fair, especially when I have to continue paying for something I am constantly repairing.

- a. williams, Edgefield, US

Mar 092016

Sonata

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata. We purchased from Hertz rental company May 4, 2015, we also purchased a Gold Plus warranty. Few days ago I noticed that when I accelerated the car started to sputter and making a clicking noise, thinking to myself something is not right. Went online and typed in symptoms to see what could possibly be causing this to happen. I was able to hit a link that directed me to possible dirty Mass Airflow Sensors, looked at the video to see what was involved. After watching the video I learned that it was not that difficult to do, so I was wondering if this is something I could do, but I wanted to make sure that this was the problem, next morning started the car to drive to dealership noticed that the oil lamp came on briefly than turned off, first time that happened since I had the car. I was going to go in for an oil change anyways so I decided to see if there was anyway the tech could look at the MAS (Mass Airflow Sensor) to see if it was dirty while he had the hood open to change oil, figured it would be good to bring to a Hyundai dealership. I asked if one of the techs could ride with me to visually see and feel what I was talking about. Whilst driving I was able to get the car to make the noise and at that same time a puff of smoke came out the tailpipe. Make a long story short, Hyundai dealership told me that there was evidence of thick sludge in the engine had been starving for oil for a very long time, probably need to replace the engine, and that this was caused by negligence on my part, also stated that claim warranty will probably be declined, $7,000.00 cost to replace engine. What is very strange about this is not only 4 months ago I brought the car into the same dealership to get a tie rod fixed (this was covered), and a 42 point inspection was done on my vehicle, GUESS WHAT, this inspection revealed no problems of future fixes for dark sludge when oil levels were checked. How could this have been missed?

- spartacus1969, Folsom, CA, USA

Aug 182014

Sonata

My car surged out of control hitting a building. The dealer won't even look at it and I have to wait for Hyundai to send me a package out to fill out and send back. The damage is fixed from the crash, but they are not willing to look at why the car surged!!! I am suppose to get back in my car and drive it till an independent company can look at it 6-8 weeks down the road....really???? Where does your warranty come in to place here??

I have already complained to them about the lack of acceleration. They said that it was my gas saving button. That didn't work...something is wrong with this car.

- sherrimn, Plymouth, MN, USA

May 202014

Sonata SDN 4

After much reluctance, the dealer took my car back into the shop. Supposedly they duplicated my problem and feel it's another bad brake switch which they had already replaced on my March 15th episode. They are very confident this will take care of my problem. I on the underhand do not feel that way since they got my car to react using the brake and not by accelerating!!!!!!!! I still do not feel safe driving this car!!!!!!!!!

- Diane M., Irwin, PA, USA

Jun 192014

Sonata SDN 4

Car is only 6-7 months old and this is a continuing problem!!!! Replaced brake part twice and problem still occurring.

- Diane M., Irwin, PA, USA