ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.7

1. replace engine (2 reports)
2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid:

2012 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Owner Comments

Apr 252018

Sonata Hybrid Limited 2.4L I4

I AM A DEALER AND I SOLD THIS CAR TO A SINGLE MOM CUSTOMER THAT IS BARLEY GETTING BY AND THE MOTOR BLEW UP ON HER. THIS IS AWFUL. SO NOW SHE HAS TO FIX IT WITH NO MONEY AND MONEY SHE DOESN'T HAVE AND I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ONE. AND FOR MY LOT WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HYUNDAI SONATA EVER AGAIN.

- Priscilla P., Milton, US

Sep 202017

Sonata Hybrid

click to see larger images

engine failure

I loved my Hyundai right up until it died on me while driving on I26 toward Columbia SC. $150 tow to the dealer in Columbia to learn I had engine failure. Given I had the oil changed at my dealer in Atlanta before leaving, this was a total shock. The service advisor lets me know this happens but there is a recall. Hyundai will take care of me. Only my car isn't covered by the recall. No problem, he says, I'll just put in a claim. Since you have the exact symptoms as the recall cars, we've had Hyundai fix them via a claim. Since I had 101053 miles and the warranty is up at 100k, Hyundai informs me I am denied. 😤I guess the saying is true- they love you til they don't.

- Michael A., Duluth, US

Jul 132017

Sonata Hybrid 2.4L

The check engine light and the oil light never illuminated though, it appears, there was some major problems in my engine.

- driver70, Menifee, US