ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems: tipm failure

Tipm Failure

2012 Jeep Wrangler (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

CarComplaints.com Notes: Poor side crash test ratings from the IIHS are really no surprise.

8.8

$1,330

1. replace tipm (27 reports)
  3. replace the TIPM (7 reports)
  4. clock spring replaced (1 reports)
  5. repair wiring harness (1 reports)
2012 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler:

2012 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 302016

Wrangler Unlimited 3.2L V6

The front winter washer does not work, but the rear works. The electronic lock does not work, but the unlock works, the high beams do not work.

- yywcomic, Burnaby, Canada

Jul 012017

Wrangler Sahara 3.6V6

There are multiple issues/problems with the electrical components that from my research online are common enough that they should be fixed under a recall.

- Mitch A., West Long Branch, US

May 162017

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L

Check engine light came on, drove to nearest auto parts store with a code reader. As I arrived the overheating alarm went off. Checked code cooling fan or circuit. Since I was towing the vehicle and we were on the road I immediately contacted a Jeep dealer first one acted uninterested when I said something about an extended warranty The second one was very responsive I could Drive the vehicle without AC and no stop and go traffic

They did not honor my warranty rental requirement. They replace the fan did not test drive as mileage in and out were identical Overheat happened again no AC and stop and go driving kept in business until July 17th. Second dealer charged me 89.95 said the first dealer didn’t properly burp the radiator and that they added a half gallon of coolant and sent me on my way. At this point I knew it wasn’t fixed but traveling and minimal driving in traffic being required. I waited until I got to Farmington NM Advantage Dodge Chrysler Jeep there was a very familiar place as I lived and worked there for 25 plus years. Called ahead explained the problem and took my Jeep in on 8/7 they kept it until the 10th replaced the TIPM problem solved

Until yesterday 11/5 Fog lights blink for turn signals, no front turn signals, sound like the new TIPM less than 90 days in service is doing it again

- bmwpig, Glendale, US

Sep 052017

Wrangler

9/4/17 while driving home, I noticed I could not control the radio with the steering wheel controls, no big deal.

9/5/17 pulling my jeep out of the garage 5 15 am no headlights, no tail lights , no brake lights, no blinkers.

How can this possibly not be covered under a National Recall?? I have been a Jeep driver for 20 years, currently own 3, Never been more disappointed in all my days as to the product being passed off as a JEEP now. I owned a Toyota FJ for 5 years.... guessing might be time to go check out the 4 Runners. I hate that JEEP now stands for .. J.ust E.mpty E.very P.ocket

- tigredy, Broken Arrow, US

Jul 142016

Wrangler Sport 3.6L

2012 Jeep Wrangler with 40000 miles. Started overheating. Had towed to dealer. Dealer diagnosed bad fan and fan mod. $1000.

After installing fan, dealer said Tim was bad. Another $1000.

- Billy S., Aurora, CO, USA

Oct 032016

Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L

This all started when I had the Calibration done for the larger tires. The transmission acted like it was not going into the proper gear while driving, a week or so later the A/C unit would shut off for a few seconds and come back on. Still had the transmission problems not shifting correctly, Then the wiper motor would come on intermittently (Transmission, A/C and Wiper Motor not working Correctly).

I have gone to the dealership to see if they could identify the problem. A service tech without question he says it is the TIPM, without computer diagnostic's. I asked what the cost would be and I was told over $1400.00.

So I took the Jeep home to clean the connections on the TIPM. "Clean and reinstalled". Now the Transmission, wipers and A/C unit seem to be working, but the Left Turn Signal now flashes very rapidly.

If Chrysler knew about the problems with the TIPM why are they not replacing them with no cost to the customer. I have talked with new owners and previous owners of Jeeps. They have said when the problems started the sold them with out question.

- Charles D., Huntsville, US

Dec 152016

Wrangler JK 3.2L V6

A few months ago, our fob would only unlock the driver side door. After getting in, all other doors need to be unlocked manually (the door button doesn't do anything). I finally brought it into my mechanic and he diagnosed it as the TIPM and said it would be about $1100 to fix. In addition to this, I apparently need a brake fluid flush, new lug nut bolt (since one rusted and fell of), and new rear brakes. I'm baffled as to why a vehicle with only 43,000 miles on it would have these issues. The next time someone asks me if I like my Jeep, I don't think I can tell them yes - especially after hearing other peoples TIPM issues...

- Dan M., Libertyville, US

Mar 012017

Wrangler Sport 3.6L

Starter runs on after engine is running when it's cold .

- Jim C., Windsor Junction, Canada

Jan 012015

Wrangler Sport 3.6L

No wipers, no fog lights, no radio, no abs, no traction control, no cruise control.

- Mark O., Halifax, NS, Canada

Feb 012017

Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L V6

The washer fluid stopped spraying, and the power door locks are not working for now. Middle of winter I'd rather hook a Supersoaker up to it and lock the doors manually than pay $1100 rro a sh*tty part.

- Brenden G., Port Elgin, ON, Canada

Jan 182017

Wrangler Unlimited 3.6L V6

This jeep has been great until we found out that they have TIPM problems. Almost completely wrecked out ride. Not to mention the stress of the death wobbles and never knowing what it's going to drive like today. It's costing us over $3000 to fix it! I really wish Jeep would do something for this make and model to help us out!

- penguingrad07, Fairbanks, AK, USA

Jun 102016

Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Jeep went haywire. Went into limp mode. Away bar wouldn't disconnect or reconnect if disconnected. Loss of power. Intermittent air conditioner failure. Stalling while idle. Stalling while driving. Dealing with the dealer was a complete joke. They had the jeep for 3 weeks and didn't do anything until I showed up ranting and screaming to finish. Wondering if they even replaced the tipm they charged me for.

- Sara S., Yucaipa, CA, USA

Sep 092016

Wrangler X 3.6L V6

The TIPM is an on going issue with Jeep and Chrysler vehicles. Most of the jeep vehicles in 2012 were recalled due to the TIPM issues but not the wrangler. I got in my jeep and everything was fine until I turned the key. ALL the lights on my dash stated flashing but would not do anything else. This happed after 4 years and 35K miles. I have open a case with Jeep customer care and now awaiting a case worker to call me. I dont expect them to do much of anything because I am out of the basic warranty. However if enough people call about this issue maybe they will finally acknowledge the issue is also with the Wrangler .

- Jason R., Smyrna, TN, USA

Jul 132015

Wrangler 4DR 3.6L

As much as I love my Jeep I am very disappointed in Chrysler not admitting to and correcting the tip problem. I have owned several Jeep Wranglers and have become accustomed with their little idiosyncrasies. However, it's always been little (usually electrical ) issues that I could either fix easily, inexpensively or could just live with the problems.

Now these vehicles are so much more expensive to buy and have repairs that can ONLY be done at the dealership because of computer flashing issues that I can only now complain about how bad we are being let down. As the cost of these relatively simple vehicles (compared to many other vehicles in the same price range) have gone up to where one has to take out an automobile mortgage, the quality should have gone up and the manufacturer should be held more accountable for their judgment in parts selection.

I have a great vehicle with low mileage on it that I can't drive any distance without the worry of "will I make it back". Chrysler has and knows of the tipm problem on these and many of their other vehicles, yet they will not make it right for us. I like many others am a loyal jeep owner and I am very disappointed that I have to pay this much to be a Jeep owner and then turn around and spend 1200 dollars to replace a faulty fuse box that is a known problem.

The government should step in and make these car manufacturers be held accountable for repairs on vehicles with a certain number of issues for the same parts. My vehicle was not too far out of warranty when it can only drive for about an hour if you drive it longer than that and turn it off it will not start again. I guess I should correct that statement to read that it will not start with a simple turn of the key in the ignition. It will however start with or without the key in the ignition if after this happens that you slam the drivers side front door just right. ???????? What kind of crap is that for a 40 thousand dollar vehicle?

As time has gone on it now has multiple other problems that have started, like traction control problems among others. I have not paid for this repair mostly because I think jeep should foot the bill and because they will not guarantee that this will fix the problem. With that being said jeep is expecting me to pay 1200 for them to guess a repair on my vehicle and if it doesn't I lose the money and still have to get my jeep fixed. I don't know about the rest of you out there but I would love to get paid 1200 dollars for guess work on my job and not be held responsible if I'm wrong. I can tell you I would be making a lot of b.s. guesses and getting paid.

I see on these forums that this tipm can cause air bags to go off randomly and not deploy when in an accident! How can they get away with this? I know if either of these situations happen when I'm driving or in an accident, I will be more than happy to file a law suit against them for this known problem not being addressed immediately. I'm only guessing that the new tipm that has to be bought is a completely different one from the original since it is a completely different part number now.

I hope Jeep has to make this right for us and I can enjoy my Jeep as I should be. I have paid for a vehicle to enjoy and should be able to do it without paying for the manufacturers poor decisions too.

- rcantu, Eufaula, AL, USA

Jun 252016

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L

Went to start up the Jeep and all of a sudden all the lights were flashing and a dinging sound was going off like crazy. The message on the dash said hot oil and every single light was illuminated with a problem to the vehicle. Tried to restart the Jeep several times but the problem continued to happen. So I decided to take the vehicle into the dealership. The only problem was that the transmission was stuck in first gear and would rpm really high. The speed gauge was also not working and saying I was going 0 mph but I was going at least 10 to 15.

So I get to the dealer and they connect the code reader to the Jeep. It comes back with about 10 different major problem codes. So I leave the Jeep for 4 days. Finally the dealership calls and said its a faulty electrical problem in the cluster panel. This is what was written on my paper work when the vehicle was picked up after repairs "U0101 lost comm with TCM, U0121 lost comm with ABS, codes are stored and will not go active, found star case for a concern with these codes, splice in dash with can C wiring not holding, removed knee blocker, radio panel, cluster and accessed can C wiring splices in dash harness, removed splices and repaired wiring, reinstalled parts, test drove, no codes returned".

I was told this was a common wiring issue Chrysler made a mistake on. I asked why Chrysler is not paying for their mistake and the answer was not sure. So basically I paid $496 to repair Jeep/Chrysler's wiring mistakes. To me that's some BS. Many others have experienced similar repair problems.

- Robert C., Riverside, CA, US

Jun 302016

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.6L V6

The fuel pump relay on the TIPM module failed (total integrated power module). This for the 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited isn't part of a recall and it isn't something covered under the power train warranty. The Jeep started turning off at low idle. This happened for backing out of a parking spot or at a stop light. It now happens when going down the road where the vehicle turns off at random. It isn't safe to drive until it is repaired. I am working on the repair now.

- jayman38, Granite Falls, NC, USA

Jun 032016

Wrangler Unlimited Sport

The TIPM on all Chrysler vehicles need to be recalled. The part is on back order for months and the problem is dangerous. As much as I love my Jeep, I am trading it and won't be getting another one.

- abbyw, Amarillo, TX, USA

Jan 252016

Wrangler Unlimited Sport 3.6L V6

Within 2 months of owning our Jeep Wrangler, the TIPM unit went out (unfortunately we purchased the Jeep used w/ no warranty). The doors wouldn't lock, shifter was stuck in park, and front headlights wouldn't turn off leading to a complete drain of the battery. All due to this TIPM unit. If the $1,100 in repairs wasn't bad enough, we had to go without the Jeep (my wife's mode of transportation) for almost 2 WHOLE MONTHS because there's a waiting list for the replacement part. This was a total headache with figuring out how my wife and I were both going to get to work, around town, etc. with only 1 vehicle.

We checked with 3 different repair shops just to make sure, and they all said the same thing: 1.) that there's a waiting list at least 40 people long for this TIPM unit, and 2.) that they've been seeing Jeep Wranglers left & right for this same exact problem, and all are on the waiting list because the part can't even be manufactured quickly enough to keep up with the demand. My question is: if this problem is so common, why the heck hasn't it been recalled?! I know they've recalled it for the Jeep Cherokee, why not the Jeep Wrangler when this is clearly a major issue for it as well??

- Bryan B., Alamosa, CO, USA

Apr 182016

Wrangler Limited Pintastar V6

Basically, this module just failing and being on back order is a huge "screw you" to a loyal Jeep customer. I love my jeep plan to have it for years and pass it on to my son, but this type of thing makes me wonder if it is worth it.

- clcorrea, Bernalillo, NM, USA

Feb 112016

Wrangler Sport

Approximately a year ago I experienced what I would find today as being a TIPM failure. That is my vehicle was sitting in the garage when the horn started honking and lights went on and doors locked. After contacting Jeep dealer I was told to enter car with other set of keys and turn engine on and off to remedy the problem. No mention at that time by dealer of TIPM issues what were going on with Chrysler products.

Last week while shopping with my wife we were getting ready to go home when the vehicle would turn over but not catch to start. Problem had all the makings of a fuel pump, or so I thought. When I did get the vehicle started, I noticed that it would not shift out of first gear. After several attempts of shifting from Neutral to Drive I was able to get the vehicle to engage all gears. Except for when we had to stop for a red light, and then it would start all over again. In addition to this the engine would race without the accelerator being depressed and I was forced to place the vehicle in Neutral to avoid excessive and dangerous acceleration. Dash light were flashing, Service Engine Soon light came on, horn was blowing and windshield wipers started going on and off. We finally got the vehicle home safely and contacted the Dealership. The advised to contact their towing company and have the vehicle towed in. Next day when I checked with dealer, I was told that TIPM was shot along with starter and steering module. Vehicle has been at dealership for almost two weeks. Dealer said they found 2 TIPM's in Puerto Rico???? None available in the US. US dealers are hoarding theirs for their customers.

Today I was told that no TIPM's available. Earliest estimate is sometime after March 26, 2016 which is over six weeks from vehicle being towed in. Chrysler FCA Customer Service has been nothing but an excuse making exercise on their part with no help. Lots of "I am sorry but there is nothing we can do at the moment". Even though Chrysler knows that this is an on going problem with their product.

Due to the excessive time wait for their parts and problem placed on the customer they refuse to help with rental care or courtesy car. Even on an as needed basis. Was told by FCA that I should have bought EXTENDED WARRANTY if I wanted a rental car. Dealership offered a car at $35 per day, which at this minimum wait of 6 weeks would exceed $1500. As of today I have no date from Chrysler/Jeep as to when my vehicle will be repaired and no assistance from either them or FCA as to transportation assistance during the wait

- Bob Z., Naperville, IL, USA