2013 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems: TIPM module failed

TIPM Module Failed

2013 Jeep Wrangler (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Jeep dealer.

8.2

$1,270

1. replace unit cost $1300 (8 reports)
  3. replace TIPM (6 reports)
2013 Jeep Wrangler electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Jeep Wrangler:

2013 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 102018

Wrangler Rubicon 3.6L

Broke down in the back of Death Valley. Cost me $2850 to get towed out. Another $300 to TRY and fix and then $1400 to get new TIPM module. Jeep is 4 months new to me after over $5000 worth of modifications or I would just trade it in!

- Gene H., Atascadero, CA, US

Nov 142017

Wrangler Sahara V6

After several months of no issue, the 2013 Jeep Wrangler wouldn't start in the parking lot. It was the same symptom as before...cranking and cranking but wouldn't turn over. After 1/2 hr and my battery running low, I disconnected the negative connection to the battery, reconnected, and it fired right up. There's some sort of sensor or TIPM issue with this vehicle.

- Nicholas W., Scottsdale, US

Jul 112017

Wrangler Sahara V6

My 2013 Jeep Wrangler stalled out at an intersection and wouldn't start until 10min later. It cranked and cranked but wouldn't turn over. Once it started I took it directly to the dealer who couldn't replicate the issue or get any codes to come up. I haven't had an official diagnosis but am assuming it's TIPM.

- Nicholas W., Scottsdale, US

Sep 182013

Wrangler Rubicon

The blower for the AC/Heat stopped working. TIPM was replaced under warranty. Tech damaged by dash trim, that also had to be replaced. Now the problem is back again and I have 43k miles. No warranty. Great!

- Daniel S., Chester, NY, USA

Feb 262016

Wrangler Rubicon

This is the second time the TIPM needs to be replaced. It was replaced once under warranty at approx 25,000 miles.

- Daniel S., Chester, NY, USA

Apr 152017

Wrangler

Headlights, wipers, horn, signals and who knows what else, all quit working at once with no notice. Pretty scary when you are driving down road at night and lights quit working. Lucky I was in town and only a few blocks from house otherwise this could have had a much worse outcome. Just found out that the TIPM needs to be replaced. Also did some research to find out this is not uncommon and was part of a lawsuit settled by Chrysler. This is my 2nd Jeep and most likely the last I will ever own. This is just one of many issues with this Jeep.

- nuke nerd, Clinton, US

Feb 182016

Wrangler Sport 3.6L

My wipers stopped working and the man said it was my tipm!

- Kristin N., Mchenry, IL, US

Feb 012017

Wrangler Unlimited Sport

Doors open and close on there own, airbag light intermittently comes on. Scared of driving my Jeep that I only own for 1 year! Not covered under extended warranty, how is that even possible!!!

- aricardo, Colonia, US

Mar 062017

Wrangler Limited 3.2L V6

What a pain. I see this issue all over the place and Jeep won't put out a recall? First my jeep wouldn't start, once I finally got it started the speedometer will not work, the traction control and downhill accent light is on and it sputters. Sounds like the TIPM by reading other comments. I am going to have Jeep check it out and will update with any news.

- ckaval11, Martinsburg, US

Feb 122017

Wrangler Unlimited V6

The Total Integrated Power Module (TIPM)

Of all the 'modulated' components of this nearly new vehicle, the component which controls critical systems and is most expensive , is subject to "single point" failures.

My windshield wipers weren't working and yet no motor,relay or circuit board could repair the system without a complete replacement of this very expensive component.

That is crappy ,short cut Engineering at its best/worst. My vehicle was made in the same year as another recall on a Jeep vehicle but mine isn't covered because its the next model year. I am sure my 2013 was manufactured in 2012 which is the last year covered in a Class action lawsuit regarding similar complaints.

- mr.beakr, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Feb 252017

Wrangler V6

I am so angry. Chrysler had a class action lawsuit against them for Totally Integrated Power Module - TIPM failure. They settled in 2015. I called in (2017) and they are only willing to pay a portion of the cost of replacement. This is completely absurd. They know that they sold a defective vehicle and they are only willing to pay a portion of the cost to repair it?

- Kristina B., KentKent, WA, US

Feb 122016

Wrangler Sport 3.8L

Windshield wipers will not work, fog lights won't work. Engine light comes on and off as does traction control light.

- chambersms, Hernando, MS, USA

Mar 112016

Wrangler Sport 6

TIPM module failure made the vehicle undriveable. All gauges were dead, all dash lights were on, turn signal inoperable, wipers were on constantly unable to turn them off. Just bought this Jeep JK used, have had it for 3 months. Additional cost to repair is significant. Seems to be a well known problem which has not been acknowledged or addressed by Chrysler.

- buzzardcheater, Austin, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L

Chrysler knows this is a problem. On national back order for weeks with no response on availability. I own 4 jeeps. I won't buy any more.

- maloneywv, Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 282016

Wrangler Sahara 3.6L

Got vehicle back from dealership after 5 different stallings and 3 times it did not start this is 3rd time at dealership. No code came up, tech drove 20 mins and they had no problem, said come pick up your vehicle. Got vehicle back on Thursday, drove Friday 240 miles with one stop in the middle with no issues. Drove back home 240 miles 2 days later, 3 hours and 45 mins into 4 hour drive, it stalled out with no warning. On single lane secluded road outside Miami. Krome Ave- no passing 2 lane road. Car stalled out with no warning. Was able to drift to side of road, waited 5 mins and it started back up. After it had stalled out and was on side of the road, it showed the lightning bolt in the venturi symbol. I escaped death and injury again. I have decided to get an insurance death policy on me. I think my luck is going to be running out after this being the 6th time stalling and 3rd time not starting. What do I do now?????? I have put a lot of money in this jeep, with bumpers a lift kit.... I have no idea what to do. Chrysler is not helping. They have had other Chrysler vehicles including Jeep Cherokees that were recalled with this same problem but yet they cant fix my vehicle. I guess there were more rich people driving the other vehicles.

- Carolyn B., Miami, FL, USA

Aug 282015

Wrangler Sport V6

While driving every now and then the car will ding, and all the gauges will "reset". Means that the gauges will go from minimum to the maximum and then all is "good". Dealer actually saw this and I believe that they are replacing the gauge cluster.

- Shawn T., Batavia, OH, USA

May 042015

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 3.6L

No more cooling fan power! Motor stay at middle of the gauge, but not as his best performance and economy.

THIS morning, it won't start. Second try it starts.

What's next ??!!

- Sebastien D., Victoriaville, QC, Canada

Jun 152015

Wrangler Limited V6

This problem has been recurring at least every fifteen minutes of driving. It causes my engine light, traction control all my gauges to go bonkers, then it stalls my vehicle out at high. It causes my vehicle not to start some days. Then the next time you try, it starts. The latest problem is it won't restart at all, it's like it's totally dead. I've had to get a rental car cause my Jeep won't run. I've got children and I feel this vehicle is the most unsafe car I've ever owned. I've almost got into several accidents when I'm driving and it stalls out. I've had to shut my ignition off, causing my steering to lock up going down the interstate at 70 mph. Then it wouldn't restart causing me to be towed home in the middle of rush hour traffic. This has happened three times. When I call the dealer they say there are no recalls. How can this be when it is such a widely known problem and dangerous too. Now I'm stuck with a non starting vehicle payments to make and a rental car and a dealership that is totally worthless.

- tgraskowiak, Omaha, NE, USA

Jun 252015

Wrangler Unlimited Sport V6

Grrr! So my Jeep would randomly accelerate, I called the dealership and they said oh it must be the floor mat causing the pedal to stick. (NOT the case - and I knew it but they wouldn't listen) now for the last 5 days my Wrangler has been randomly dying. They don't believe me because it doesn't happen when they have it and it's not throwing any codes.

3 days ago it happened when I had 4 children in my vehicle. Hello safety issue. It literally stalled/died at an intersection yesterday afternoon and I was nearly hit by a semi-truck that was traveling down the highway at 45+mph. As shaken as I was when I got to the dealership, they STILL won't believe me.

I'm so frustrated and scared to drive my only vehicle, which as a single mother I depend on. Who would have thought that a vehicle less that 2 years old (2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited), that I work my tail off to make the payment on, to get myself and my children safely from point A to point B would be the source of so much stress.

- tahilden, Montevideo, MN, USA

Jun 022014

Wrangler Rubakon V6

I have complained to dealerships of having an electrical ghost. Idiot lights would come on and then disappear. Dome lights would flash quickly on then off. Engine would stall with AC running, then would not go into gear wants restarted. Dealership confirmed TIPM issue and Chrysler nor the dealership would pay for replacement. This is my retirement vehicle and am not sure I want to go on long trips. Worst investment ever made.

DON'T BY CHRYSLER !!!! Service, customer service line and corporation know this is a issue since 2007 and still no recall. I understand there is a class action suit in California. Should go national.

- Dwight K., Fleming Island, FL, USA