8.8

$2,350

2. well, they had to replace the whole engine!! (4 reports)
2010 Kia Forte engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Kia Forte:

2010 Kia Forte Owner Comments

Apr 012015

Forte EX 2

Started noticing a ticking noise when accelerating back when my 2010 Forte only had 70,000 miles on it. Took it to the dealership and was told to add a motor oil additive to oil changes. The ticking has gotten worse, but it is now past warranty so they won't replace the engine. My mom also has a 2010 Kia forte with the same issue, but because hers was under warranty, they are replacing her engine for free! Such a scam. I will never buy another Kia again.

- Amanda L., Harrisburg, PA, US

Nov 012018

Forte EX 2.0L 4 cyl

I bought the Kia Forte new in April of 2010. Has been a trouble free car until I noticed the loud ticking, louder at cold start up, from the engine. I have changed the oil more often than is recommended using 5w20 synthetic oil and top of the line filters. I have read other reports of owners with a similar complaint. One mechanic who had the same complaint actually took the engine out and pulled the head discovering extreme ware in the middle two pistons, a rocking back and forth in the bore! That makes sense as the ticking is louder when cold, but as the pistons get hot and expand the noise is reduced.

I feel like I can't trade it in with this problem, I won't get much at all, but I'm afraid down the road it will cost me a fortune if I keep it, which is more than it's worth anyway. At least it is paid off.

- Jim J., Phoenix, AZ, US

Dec 282018

Forte V4

Got the car used at 107K from a friends' Mom. I took over the payments May 2018 and in December 2018 At 120,000 miles a loud knocking noise began coming from the engine at engine start. It persists and sounds almost like an electric sewing machine - taka taka taka taka. The sound gets louder when I accelerate and decreases when I don't press the gas pedal. The noise decreases slightly when the engine is fully warmed up but it is still audible. I took it to a mechanic who specializes in engines, his diagnosis was "rod bearings need replacement" I have started searching for this issue online and became aware of safety recall sc147. Unfortunately this recall doesn't include the kia Forte model. I saw in my research online that many other Forte owners were having similar issues. In addition, my car's engine "theta ii" 2. 0 liter appears to be the same engine that is included among the recalled models included in sc147. I am wondering why the kia Forte is not included as it seems to be suffering from the same issue. Is this a question of accountability, or lack thereof on kia/Hyundai's side

- Tosha B., Stone Mountain, GA, US

Feb 132019

Forte EX 2.0L

The car is good but the engine is a nightmare. It starting making load noises from the engine and no the oil light came on. Losing power. Just park it. If someone can help with this matter, please do. Thanks.

- Terry H., Powder Springs, GA, US

Oct 312018

Forte

While driving the car it started knocking loudly and stopped at a signal light. I manage to start it back up and parked it. It was towed to the shop. They will have to break the motor down they said, to see if my the extended warranty will cover the problem. No answer yet.

- Pamela H., Waco, Tx., US

Feb 012013

Forte EX 2

I bought my 2010 Kia Forte new and after about a year the engine got loud, but honestly I thought maybe normal. After a couple of years engine got louder and knocking and again I thought it maybe normal. I did have my cars regular maintenance done (oil change) and no mechanic ever mention of any issues and/or concerns with the engine. After a few years engine seem to get louder and I complained but was told several times to fix the noise would be "very expensive for me and not worth fixing". I was annoyed and embarrassed driving my Kia. Now reading that this is a common issue with the Kia Forte, I believe they should own up and fix this issue.

- Maureen H., Mississauga, ON, Canada

Jan 192017

Forte EX 2.0L

Engine knocking bad and warranty just had expired. I had changed the timing because I thought noise was coming from timing chain. It looked loose but after all that it's still ticking bad and dealer would not cover the engine.

- F. B., HARRIETSFIELD, NS, Canada

Feb 012017

Forte LX 2.0L

I complained about an engine noise while my car was under warranty. Now I bring it to the dealer and they say I require a new engine. I have owned this car since new and absolutely babied it. All miles were long trips--highway miles, as I live in the country. Now, no warranty and no help. Even as I find multiple problems with theta II engines, this car seems to fall through the loopholes. I thought since I maintained it, I would give it to my teenage son...all I ended up doing was unloading a piece of crap on him. This as I bought a 2nd brand new Kia ( an Optima). I am feeling very burned at this point. There won't be a third Kia in this household unless Kia makes good and helps me out. The car is in excellent shape...way too good to send to the boneyard...but I can't even put a used motor in it, because the engines were flawed....I found a service bulletin from 2015 that alerted them to the problem...yet nothing was done and now I am S.O.L.

- farmergirly, Guelph, ON, Canada

Mar 012017

Forte 2.0L Theta Ii

Purchased vehicle used with 45,935 kms. Had to replace the transmission ( under extended warranty) around 110000kms. Now we are told the engine has to be replaced. Due diligence was done and regular maintenance was done (oil changes).

- Brian C., Lower Sackville, NS, Canada

Sep 062010

Forte EX

I had the car in the shop many times. Finally they realised the car was burning more oil than needed. I am not sure they ever knew how to fix, so they gave me a new engine

- Courtney M., O Fallon, MO, US