- September 22: Mazda Recalls Mazda6 Cars Because of 'Weld Spatter' recalls | 29 days ago
- September 11: Lane Departure and Blind Spot Warning Systems Really Work news | 40 days ago
- September 2: Mazda Recalls RX-8, Mazda6 and MazdaSpeed6 Cars Over Airbags recalls | 49 days ago
- August 15: Mazda Recalls CX-7, CX-9 and Mazda6 Over Takata Airbags recalls | 67 days ago
- July 30: Ford and Mazda Want Out of Takata Recall of 2.7 Million Airbags recalls | 83 days ago
Engine Timing Chain Stretched
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Mazda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.
Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.
There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.
Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.
In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 76,881 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 19 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace timing chain (11 reports)
- not sure (5 reports)
- replaced vvt actuator (3 reports)