- February 13: 2006 Ford Ranger Owners Warned to Park the Trucks recalls | 36 days ago
- January 20: Mazda Recalls Mazda6, CX-7, CX-9, RX-8 and B-Series For Takata Airbags recalls | 60 days ago
- January 18: Senators Have Questions About Ford Ranger Driver Deaths From Airbags news | 62 days ago
- December 31: Nissan Used Uncertified Inspectors For Decades news | 80 days ago
- December 28: Certain Automakers Falling Behind With Automatic Emergency Braking news | 83 days ago
NHTSA — Seat Belts Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2008 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems, continuing these defect trends from the 2007 model year.
Owners report problems with the 2008 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.
There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.
Finally for the 2008 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.
In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 0 / 0
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 0 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 27,000 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints:
This data is from the NHTSA — the US gov't agency tasked with vehicle safety. Complaints are spread across multiple & redundant categories, & are not organized by problem.
So how do you find out what problems are occurring? For this NHTSA complaint data, the only way is to read through the comments below. Any duplicates or errors? It's not us.
seat belts / air bags problem