9.0

2. replaced 10 amp relays in lighting control module (1 reports)
2004 Mercury Grand Marquis lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis:

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Owner Comments

Sep 012016

Grand Marquis GS 4.6L V8

I had the same headlight issue as so many others. I would be driving down the road, and the headlights would randomly turn off. The problem is the relays in the lighting control module (LCM) wear out over time and stop working when they heat up. This is exasperated by the fact that the relays are only rated for 10 Amps of load current which is the bare minimum for 2 headlight bulbs to begin with. Ford issued a recall, but they don't have LCMs available. I bought 4 Omron relays. Part number G5LE-1-E DC12. These are rated 16Amps load current.

If you can solder electronics, you can easily swap all 4 relays in the LCM for less than $10 in about an hour. Otherwise, find someone who can solder and buy them a case of beer to do it for you. It's money well spent.

Update from Aug 24, 2017: Update July 2017: I FINALLY received my recall letter from Ford acknowledging there is a problem with the LCM. Since I already upgraded my LCM with higher capacity relays, I probably won't let them touch it.

- , Danvers, MA, USA

Nov 202014

Grand Marquis LS

The light continues to go off and on without moving. I cannot see at night. When I tap the lighting control, it comes back on for a few min but goes right back off. I hear many people are having this dam problem in the the same type of car.

- , Del City, OK, USA