ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.0

$4,500

2. replace or rebuilt cvt (1 reports)
  3. transmission cooler filter (1 reports)
2012 Nissan Rogue transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Nissan Rogue:

2012 Nissan Rogue Owner Comments

Jun 112018

Rogue SE 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

So here is my story. Helped my daughter find and purchase this used 2012 Rogue about 18 months ago. Did a lot of routine repairs for her, tires brakes filters and had Nissan dealer service the cvt fluid. Now all of a sudden she calls me (I live 3 states away} and tells me the car will barely move and she is scared of being hit by another vehicle. Towed car to dealer and was told cvt unit needs to be replaced. I have called Nissan motor corp and was told car needs a trans cooler at a cost of $921 with NO guarantee it would solve problem. I asked Nissan for help with this problem as it appears to be an on going problem with these cvt transmissions. Nissan told me they can not help at all due to car being 6yr old and 74k miles. I am furious with Nissan as they SHOULD repair this problem as they have created it due to poor design with the trans cooler system. I am now in the process of filing a lawsuit to recoup the cost of repair.

- Donna V., Wantagh, NY, US

Jun 252018

• CVT transmission

A definite design flaw. Had it occur several times now over the last 18 months. A lovely vehicle for the Mid-west but totally unreliable in the mountains. Nissan acts like it's no big deal. It is unsafe to drive in the mountains and I live in Salt Lake City. If I drive an hour in any direction I am at risk. The car may lose the ability to accelerate or even maintain speed when going uphill.

- John F., Salt Lake City, UT, US

Jul 312017

Rogue ES

This has happened several times on the way from my home to WVVA. Usually in the summer months. Nissan running fine then you stop at a light and cannot pull out, no matter how far you push the gas pedal. I have also had this to happen while on the interstate and be going 70 or better. All of the sudden everything is passing us. I always travel with my with children. Very scary and dangerous to be in front of a semi and you can't get out of the way! Would think Nissan would contact all current owners of 2012 Nissan Rogues to fix whatever this is before someone gets hurt or killed. I don't have $4000 to sink into a transmission!

- Patricia F., Claudville, US

May 212018

Rogue S

• CVT transmission

Nissan knows that the CVT needs fixing/replaced, thus extended warranties to cover them. Ours went out driving back from Kansas City, made it home, took it to the South Colorado Springs Nissan and they said, "Sorry. If it was older (<2010), or had less miles (60,000), we could help you." Talked to the Asst GM. Talked to Nissan Corporate, who said, "we'll file a claim. but we want this to end in your favor, of course." That last piece I highly doubt.

Nissan knows this is a problem and someone could get killed! The reports are all over the web.

Nissan, make this right.

- Brian R., Colorado Springs, US

Sep 012017

Rogue ES

Driving home from Provo on I15 going up hill, my car goes from 80 mph to 40 mph. It's very dangerous and it's gonna eventually cause an accident. Also, when you stop and then try to go, the car takes a few seconds to get going. I hate this vehicle and will not trust it with my family on long trips. It does ok in town but that's about it. I will never suggest this vehicle to anyone. Nissan needs to look into this problem before something happens to someone and a lawsuit happens

- Kendra P., Orderville, US

Feb 072018

Rogue

Driving to work on the NJ turnpike doing about 65mph, the car suddenly slowed to 30mph. Got to work but on my return home from work the car did the same thing, this time I was almost wiped out by a trailer. I hope Nissan finds out what the problem is because the tech is talking about $4000,for a tranny.

- Frank F., Brooklyn, NY, US

Aug 072017

Rogue Special Edition 3.2L

• CVT transmission

I had been on the road for 5 1/2 hours and when I finally made it to where I was going the car was not even moving. The RPM was going up the more I pressed the gas but it was not moving. So I pulled over at a gas station once I cut it off and then cut it back on to let it cool off. The feeling I had was not good I was taking my son to college plus I had my other 2 children in the car hoping to make it back home safely. It also happened twice on my way back coming out of Dallas and right when i made it back to the town I live in. Now something has to be done that is the only so I thought reliable car that I have at this time and is still paying for. I have always heard that Nissan are good cars but now I'm starting to think twice.

- ytalesha, Mount Pleasant, US

Aug 262017

Rogue S 2.5L 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

revving but its losing power while running

Frustrating i was not able to travel for more than 2 hours straight when going to another location, when i was on the freeway the car suddenly losing power, it has an acceleration but its not moving, right now i am not using it for long travel i am sacred im gonna get an accident along the way.

- gwapo_202, Sterling Heights, US

Mar 262017

Rogue SV 4L

I had the service department look at when it first occurred. I was told that there was nothing wrong with the Rogue. I just drove to California, a 12 hour drive. I noticed that after driving about 5 hours the car lost acceleration at 3000 RPM, same as the last time. I had to pull as I was losing speed on a busy highway. I let the car cool down for about half an hour. Continued my trip and didn't have an issue. On my way back home the same issue happened. I have reached out to Nissan Corporate and I haven't heard from them. I will suggested you don't purchase vehicles from Nissan.

- Jose M., Salem, CA, US

Feb 052017

Rogue S 2.5L

This is my first complaint on this site however the same issue has occurred more than 5 times in the past 6 months however I wasn't aware of this site until recent to post with each occurrence. I'm driving on TX highway with speed limit of 80 and because I have a 4 year old on board, I typically stay within 70-75 MPH so yeah there are cars, trucks and semi-trucks passing me. So I'm not getting up to speeds uncommon to what we drive on most state highways. Suddenly, acceleration stalls out and a strange buzzing/humming noise sounds off with the RPM increasing from 2000 - 7000 and the MPH gauge decreases quickly to 40 down to 30 and I'm panicked because no matter how hard I press down on gas pedal nothing happens!

Hazard lights on, I pull over to shoulder and turn car off while waiting with my scared toddler! I wait for about 5 min to turn ignition on and try to press on gas pedal again...nothing happens! I turn off and wait another 10 minutes...let me add that it's starting to get dark outside and no gas station, safe rest stop, or alternate main roads in sight...so naturally I'm a concerned and pissed mother! After waiting for 15-20 min, I start it up again and waahh-lahh...we are off and with another 1.5 hours to get to our destination and my thoughts are,"we are good...for now at least".

I've read the insane amount of complaints with this CVT type of transmission and for all those others who've been on the road traveling in this vehicle like myself, we have to be heard sooner than later for an investigation to begin. Do they expect people to die from this issue to constitute as reason to look into & resolve??? I'm sure I'll be posting the next complaint within a few weeks since I'm due to travel again. Oh and if you're wondering...I'm definitely in process of purchasing a different vehicle & highly recommend other Nissan Rogue owners to do the same!

- Amanda M., San Antonio, TX, USA

Jan 092017

Rogue SL 2.5L I-4

• CVT transmission

When trying to accelerate at times the vehicle will not receive a response from the gas pedal (it seems like) not sure if this is the transmission not responding or if its the throttle body not responding.

Either way based on what I have read online, the bulk of complaints are pointing to the CVT Transmission & mileage is relatively similar to my vehicle that have this problem as well.

My kids travel in this vehicle every morning that I purchased new from Nissan. This is completely unacceptable from Nissan not to address this problem when they (I'm sure) know of all the complaints.

- anand.sawh, Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 112016

Rogue Limited 3.2L

Loss of acceleration on a highway is very dangerous. We were on our way back to my son college..Vehicle came to a stop on the highway..It was God on our side why we are alive..After cooling down the car started back..A 4 year old car..I don't have $4,000 to repair this car...

- Michelle H., South Ozone Park, USA

May 282016

Rogue Special Edition 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

I bought my Rogue new in 2012. It had 12 miles on it and has run fine since I got it until last year. In July 2015 on a long trip it completely lost acceleration going through the mountains. I had my children with me and was forced to pull over in the accident investigation lane to let it sit. It was going fine, doing around 70 mph up and then it just sort of choked itself out. I cut the hazards on and crept 30 mph up to the pull off with it whining and maxed out at 3000 rpm. Took it to NIssan and was told they could find no issue with it. The tech actually suggested that maybe it was bad gas in it. Fast forward to Memorial weekend 2016 on our way as a family to go on vacation and it does THE EXACT SAME THING. We pulled over, had lunch and it ran fine the rest of the way (300 miles trip). Coming back home 3 days later it again loses all power, floored and maxed out at 3000 RPM doing 30-35 mph up the mountain. We take it to a different dealer and they had it 2 days. They come to the same conclusion. There is no problem with the car. It "could" be the CVT going bad but since it doesn't show up on the diagnostic they cannot do anything about it. The best this tech can offer is to continue bringing it in so that even when it does run out of warranty, it will be covered. I had planned on giving this to my son next year but now I hesitate to even want to keep it myself. We have owned 6 Nissans and have NEVER had this issue.

- Samantha F., Knoxville, TN, USA

Jan 222016

Rogue Special Edition 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Buying a Nissan Rogue is a big mistake. My Nissan Rogue, being a 2012, and already having problems with the transmission acceleration. If you are looking forward on buying a Rogue I recommend you to not buy it because they are just pain in the ass. I drive a 2003 Ford Ranger to work and never had problems with the transmission.

- Magaliel R., Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 142015

Rogue SV

• CVT transmission

took my rogue to Leckner Nissan in Stafford, VA so that they could complete an oil change, check out the very DANGEROUS and seriously annoying stalling/acceleration problem, and brake lights (they remain on, even after I've turned the lights and vehicle off). What a waste of time! I had to keep repeating the issues with my vehicle, primarily the stalling and acceleration issues. The service advisor kept asking if the stalling happens on the "take off"... I am assuming he meant when I initially start driving the car. He asked the same thing again, even after I explained that this occurs when I try to accelerate, or when I am already driving the car and try to speed up. I was told I may need to ride with the Tech so I can point out the issue. After about an hour of waiting the Service advisor came back and said that the tech noticed my car stalling and would not accelerate but that I will have to get my transmission flush done and that should help. He also mentioned that my brake switching is sticking which is causing my transmission to jerk. When I was asked over and over whether my car was stalling, or when it was stalling and the look one of the other service advisors gave him, I just knew they were up to no good. They are fully aware of this issue, but will lie to your face about what is the cause, suggest you fix all kinds of stuff at your expense. Taking my car to a family friend who will do what is needed and if this continues after the Transmission flush, brake switch fix, There is going to be a serious problem. If this issue cause me to wreck, I am most definitely suing the hell out of NISSA.... last Nissan I'll ever buy!!!!

- aidalabreu, Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Rogue S 4 cyl

After having transmission problems on long drives. Transmission would go into safe mode. It would not go over 40 MPH. Called Nissan they ended up picking up tab. They were very nice about it. I own 2 other Nissan cars. The problem seem to be transmission cooler and filter 1100.00 job which I paid 150.00 of bill. The cars seems fine now. I have not taken it out on a 600 mile ride yet. Nissan did do the right thing on picking up tab with a car with 75000 miles.

- Robert T., Narrowsburg, NY, USA

Sep 262015

Rogue Special

I don't understand. Why would a car traveling at 70 MPH suddenly after needing to pass a vehicle the RPM and the acceleration drops to a dangerous speed. If one keeps their foot on the gas the quicker the speed drops!!! This is a dangerous happening, one can be rear ended or fall in a path where they need to use a little more speed only to find themselves in loss of power!

I don't know what the warranty is on this, but I am hoping that Nissan will fix this problem with NO CHARGE for there is a safety concern. here!

- Frank C., Sarasota, FL, USA

Jun 012015

Rogue

Every once in a while, I would say less than 25% of the time that I am driving the Rogue, the engine will hesitate and lose power. It typically happens after I have been on the road for an hour or more. The engine winds a bit more than normal and I lose power but not all power. I could not get it to go over 60 with the petal to the metal at one point. Then, when I came to a stop once I got to off the freeway, it took nearly 3 seconds for the car to respond when I pushed on the accelerator.

It has done this before but as I’ve said it is very random and infrequent. Once I got home, I was back in the car in 30 minutes or so and the car was fine.

You have any ideas on what it could be? I am going to take it into the dealer on Thursday but since it happens so infrequently I am worried that the problem won’t happen when they are looking at it.

- Brandon P., La Crescenta, CA, USA

Jun 072014

Rogue

I have 2012 Nissan Rogue and before my warranty was up I had problems with driving a long distance. After driving 2 hours I would be stuck on the highway only able to go 30 mph. This is very dangerous not to mention illegal to go that slow. I took the car to a Nissan dealership told them the complaint and was told they were not going to drive the car for 2 hours. They did look it over and said it was fine.

Of course it is not I am still having issues I have to pull over several times on my trips to rest the transmission, it's ridiculous. I have to make long trips often and if I get killed on the highway I have documentation of the complaints I made so my family's can sue Nissan. They need to make this right and do a recall it is only a matter of time someone gets killed on highway because of transmission failure.

- erinb1111, Gainesville, FL, USA

Jun 272015

Rogue S

Problem with acceleration up hills, similar to those reported in earlier models. Can be traveling up hill at 70 mph and the car loses power, rpm's stall out at about 3,000 and the car decelerates. Feels like you are not going to make it up the hills. Could be very dangerous if heavier traffic.

- Karl H., Salem, UT, USA