9.5

$2,500

2. repaired power steering (3 reports)
  3. replace electric steering rack assembly (2 reports)
2013 Ram 1500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ram 1500:

2013 Ram 1500 Owner Comments

May 082022

1500

I drove an hour and a half to my parents house for Mothers Day. The truck drove fine. When I went to leave after a 5 hour stay the truck started but the steering wheel would not turn. I am very thankful that I and my 4 children were not driving down the interstate when this happened. I had a mechanic run a diagnostic on it and he stated it was the electrical power steering. I had to have the truck towed to the dealership.

- Anna R., Lakeland, US

Sep 062021

1500 Tradesman 5.7L

This a very dangerous failure as it could have caused a serious accident or death if it were to fail under different circumstances. It is unconscionable that so many people are reporting this year vehicle failure all over the internet, of course that is probably just the tip of the iceberg, and RAM has not offered to replace the defective components and continue to leave peoples lives in jeopardy. Dealerships want over $3000 to replace the complete rack assembly which is a joke. With fair mechanical knowledge and good practices this unit can be easily replaced in a shop in under an hour or in your garage in under 2 hours.

2 bolts hold the unit, 2 tie rod ends disconnected one steering coupling bolt and 2 electrical plugs unplugged. A complete new OEM rack assembly can be purchased online for under $1500 (which I think is outrageous) at a dealership run MOPAR Parts Webstore and more than likely your dealership will want over $2000 alone for the part. If for some reason you can't measure the tie rod adjustment correctly you will need a toe in alignment but you will definitely need to have someone capable to flash the vehicle information with the new unit after installed.

RAM really RAMMED us with this one. My truck has had no abuse, the tires wear perfect and the undercarriage looks like new and so does the steering rack assembly. Totally an unreliable electrical component problem. Good luck as I will never be RAMMED again.

- damnram, Cocoa, US

Mar 022022

1500 ST 3.6L

Power steering suddenly stopped working while on the interstate out of town. Red picture of steering wheel with exclamation mark on dash. Electric power steering requires minimum $1400 rebuilt part. Labor cost unknown. Some rack and pinion units recalled, not mine. Difficult to steer in tight locations, but manageable with plenty of room.

- Brent W., San Antonio, US

Sep 252019

1500 Long Horn 5.7L

Where is the NTSB?! I almost crashed because of this safety issue and RAM gets away with making money off it charging me $2500! Class action anyone?

- Jake V., Jacksonville, US

Feb 212020

1500 SLT 5.7L

I have a 2013 SLT 1500 that we purchased used about 2 years ago - it currently has 68491 in miles. The power steering has ceased working. I get a service power steering warning on the dash when it first happened I turned the truck on and off a couple of times and it worked to get me to town then on my return I had to repeat the process.

Yesterday that did not work and no power steering. I did find a loose negative cable on the battery removed and tightened but still no joy, I tried removing the positive cable to see if maybe the loose negative cable caused an issue and to clear out anything in the system still no joy. I checked the EPS fuse and it appears to be in good working order

To replace the Rack is a little over 2k - it is a dealer item only. It was $1800 or close to that for the rack and then I think $250 in labor. Replacing this myself is not an option as the new rack has to be scanned or the problem will persist.

My wife drove this truck the day before this occurred had this happened, and while she was driving... well, we live in the country and there are lots of curves in our roads - this could have been serious. There needs to be something done if EPS is going to continue to be used some type of pre-warning or safety assist in addition to EPS. We just sold our 1996 Dodge SLT Laramie with 100k miles, and the only issues I ever had from that truck was a water pump replacement and a valve cover gasket leak.

I am not sure if we will buy another Dodge product after this.

- Rick S., Keystone Heights, FL, US

Feb 202021

1500 Tradesmen 4.7L

Driving down the road and the steering wheel locked up, no warning no nothing

- Kim M., Proctor, US

May 302020

1500 SLT 5.7L

Driving down a straight empty road (thank god) and coming to an intersection, tried turning but the steering went stiff and Service Power Steering warning came on the screen. The dealership told me I had to replace the entire rack and pinion as the EPS was faulty (no reason given why is it faulty).

If this has happened a minute later it would have definitely caused a serious accident. I will not have my family drive or ride in this car again.

This is not acceptable and very dangerous from FCA to ignore this issue. I will not let this go, I think this is more serious than a faulty tailgate.

This would probably be my last car bought from them.

- Samer G., Doha, AK, Qatar

May 202019

1500 Laramie Longhorn 5.7L V7

NO POWER STEERING ON STARTUP. SHUT OFF AND RESTARTED OK. DROVE A FEW BLOCKS. STOPPED FOR 3 HOURS. STARTED AND RESTARTED 3 TIMES BEFORE IT STARTED WORKING. DROVE A FEW MILES STOPPED FOR 10 MINUTES. NEVER DID START WORKING AFTER MULTIPLE RESTARTS. HAD TO HAVE IT TOWED TO DEALER. REPLACED ENTIRE MOTOR AND RACK AND PINION ASSEMBLY. LUCKY IT DID NOT FAIL WHILE DRIVING. HAD EXTENDED WARRANTY OR COST WOULD HAVE BEEN $2,300.

- Buddy M., Slidell, LA, US

Oct 252018

1500 3.6L

Was making to turn onto a freeway when the steering stopped working I slammed on the brakes just avoiding an accident. Sounds like this is starting to happen alot with the 1500 rams with WPS. Someone is going to receive an injury or killed due to an accident if this issue is not fixed with these trucks. This will be the last ram I buy if they do not fix the issue. I am so glad my wife was not driving when this happened could have been a different story Have read in other posts the dealers are saying there is no issues this is not true. Buyer beware!!

I have read the cost to repair is over $2000 so right now i'm am not the truck till I can get the cash to repair. Should have kept my CHEVY.

- William B., Cave Creek, AZ, US

Aug 242018

1500 Express 5.7L

Got in truck and power steering quit and the light came on. Really, only 26000 miles! This should be a recall, dangerous! Looking at opinions.

- Mickey C., Irvington, AL, US

Dec 072015

1500 Big Horn

Drove the car to work, no issues. Went to drive home and i had no power steering. backing out of my parking space was a Pain in my... once moving it was not terrible. dropped the car off and had to get an uber home. the car was ready by the end of the next day.

- jayzar, Ridgefield Park, NJ, US