ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

8.0

$1,900

1. replace head gaskets (5 reports)
2009 Subaru Forester engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Subaru Forester:

2009 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

Oct 122017

Forester Premiun

I OWNED 3 SUBARUS, ALL NEEDED HEAD GASKETS. THIS WAS EARLY PROBLEM.

- Gregory A., Portland, OR, US

Jul 102017

Forester

Was having a minor oil leak so I took it in. They told me that my head gaskets were failing and that this is a common Subaru issue. They also told me that while it wasn't an emergency, if I didn't get it fixed, it would lead to engine failure. I spent $2000 on a car only worth $3000 - and then a few months later the engine died from a separate problem!

- chartley81, Ann Arbor, US

Dec 152015

Forester Limited 2.5i

Unexpected head gasket leak. Got it fixed along with changing of timing belt. Complained to Subaru, and got a $750 check from the company.

- Qun F., Independence, MO, US

Apr 272013

Forester 2.5L

• CVT transmission

all 1999 through 2010 non turbo 2.5l equipped Subaru's develop this head gasket leak. It is due to a faulty head gasket design. If you catch it early you can have it fixed but if you don't you will blow your engine. The dealership was notified of the leak when it was brought in for service. They claimed it was due to a loose oil drain plug and said it was fine. The problem is that when the head leaks from the back it leaks down onto the oil pan and off the drain plug. We figured this out 20,000 km later when it was out of warranty. Subaru of Canada refuses to help out in any way. It's $2200 to fix the head gaskets. Personally

If I were you I WOULD NOT purchase any 1999 through 2010 non turbo Subaru with a 2.5l engine unless it had already had the head gaskets repaired with the correct aftermarket set.

To add to that, the lack of customer service has been terrible and I would strongly recommend you to avoid buying Subaru all together.

- S R., Cranbrook, BC, Canada

Jul 122011

Forester

They replaced head gaskets under warranty. Immediately after, engine consumed 1 to 3 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles.

- oakpenn, Bethlehem, PA, USA