2019 Subaru Forester brakes NHTSA complaints: Service Brakes

NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2019 Subaru Forester brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2019 Subaru Forester:

2019 Subaru Forester Owner Comments

May 012019

Forester

Breaks: The car exhilarate without any action during driving. Wiper: Wiper blade make a noise like its about to fall apart. Seat belt: Seat belt install in a place that( front both seats) there is no space between seat and car body.

- Iselin, NJ, USA

Feb 202020

Forester

We have a 2019 Subaru Forester, problems have been with the eyesight slamming on the brakes for no reason, and turning on and off at random times. The major issue has been the slammed on brakes when the road ahead was clear, jarring me and passengers, my wife literally had whiplash and a headache from the extreme, unexpected braking. This has happened when a vehicle in from of us made a right turn, road ahead is clear, traveling the speed limit of 35 mph, sensors must be picking up the corner of the other vehicle as we approach, locking up the brakes, thinking it is still in front of us. Another incident, eyesight sensing an empty paper bag being blown across the highway, slamming on the brakes, this could have caused a rear end collision from a driver behind us if they were following to close, like is the norm in rush hour traffic. Another event, a dog ran across the freeway, eyesight never activated, I thought I had braked and cleared the dog, he kept running, no impact, found damage to front end upon inspection. Another issue unrelated to eyesight, the defroster blower motor does not respond to high setting when first turned to high to clear window fog, it takes 3 to 5 minutes before it ramps up to high speed. I have brought this to the attention of our salesperson and service department our Subaru dealership, maybe be a calibration issue, program issue with the eyesight sensors, they refused to document anything I shared and told me their is absolutely nothing wrong with the system without even looking at it. There is no more love in our Subaru, and no concern for safety at the dealership. I have spoken with other 2019 Subaru Forester owners experiencing the same eyesight issues. This has been happening since we leased the vehicle October 2018 to recently on 2/20/2020. I was informed to file this by the Ohio attorney general while filing a complaint with them.

- Willoughby Hills, OH, USA

Feb 092020

Forester

I was parking at a busy ski center, car in drive as I was slowly pulling into an open space, car in first row of vehicles facing a small road. The road connects the parking lot with the ski shop. 5 mph would be normal speed on this road, where pedestrian skiers walk from the lot to the ski shop. Before I could stop to turn off the car, the engine started revving crazily, the car lurched forward and accelerated on its own. Brakes would not respond. I was able to steer onto the road, car accelerating faster and faster, no brakes, no control. There was a small car driving slowly some distance ahead, and I was gaining on it fast, a split second away from crushing it, so I deliberately swerved into a snowbank, hit some trees, and that finally stopped my car. I was unhurt. Extensive front end damage and passenger door damage front and back, and roof rack damage. Police came to the scene, car was towed by flatbed back to the dealer. Insurance paid for the repairs. Manufacturer will examine the vehicle thoroughly, will remove the "black box" to find what was the cause of unintended acceleration and loss of brakes. This examination may take 4-6 weeks. So fortunate that no one was injured or killed. I cannot estimate what speed the car reached on its own.

- North River, NY, USA

Feb 072020

Forester

Traveling from ri to western NY. Departed ri in am with moderate rainfall when "eyesight disabled" indicator flashed several times over the course of half hour. When rain subsided, indicator disappeared. Several hours later, was driving 65-70mph on straight section of major interstate with good visibility, approaching a highway overpass when "obstacle detected" warning appeared despite no obstacle in road, and shortly thereafter car went into a slow spin (felt as if floating) towards left, striking a guardrail underneath the overpass head-on and continuing to spin 360 degrees at which point I was able to recover control of the car. It felt as if brakes had engaged (? crash imminent braking system) although I did not have foot on brake pedal and I did not attempt to brake while in the spin as I feared rolling the vehicle. Despite extensive front end damage, airbags did not deploy. Had to leave the vehicle in albany, NY and currently awaiting evaluation by insurance adjuster. Of note, 5 months earlier the windshield had cracked when hit with small rock and was replaced at Subaru dealership where the vehicle was purchased.

- Barrington, RI, USA

Sep 072019

Forester

I have experienced two instances of phantom braking, similar to reports I've read about Nissan rogues. Once in July, and once last week. In both cases I was driving at low highway speed on a sunny afternoon. The car's "object dectected" warning flashed and beeped, and the car braked automatically, for no reason. I suspect bright sunlight and/or a shadow on the highway was to blame

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 182018

Forester

Takata recall, we recently purchased a 2019 Subaru Forester from a Subaru dealer in berlin Vermont. It developed an extremely loud squeal with under 2000 miles. This was a result of defective brake material on the right rear inner brake pad breaking loose from the brake pad and lodging between the rotor and dust shield. I took photos of said defect (kept the defective component) and brought the vehicle back to the dealer, I gave them the defective material which was crusted on the side of the pad lining. They brought the car in and told me it was road dirt. Fortunately I took photos of the defective component as well as the brake pad. They gave me the car back without changing the defective components. The defective brake pad had a build up of this crusted obviously defective material from brake manufacture on the sides of it. This material appeared to have a lava crusty type texture and is obviously not brake pad material. The manufactured brake pads are currently on the vehicle. I can not upload photos on this computer, do have photos however. This would obviously have some effect on brake life and and performance as a foreign substance is being introduced into the service brake components. I have the actual miles when the dealer brought it into the shop as well. Thanks for your attention in this matter.

- Hyde Park, VT, USA