ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

9.7

$4,200

1. replace transmission (5 reports)
2011 Subaru Outback transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Subaru Outback:

2011 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Sep 012018

Outback V6

• CVT transmission

Subaru has know for sometime about transmission failure in 2011 Outbacks. Since my car was just over 100,000 ...not covered under extended warranty they offered. Since the failure of transmission nearly got me killed on interstate...it's dangerous and a recall should be offered (in my opinion). Cost of repairing transmission quoted at $9597.70.....leaving me shell shocked.

- Georgia V., Portland, US

Apr 042016

Outback

About 5 and 1/2 years after getting my car, the transmission went out. The warranty had expired after owning the car for 5 years. It cost me almost $5000. The staff was friendly, helpful, and gave me a loaner, but the cost was the problem.

- Roman C., Culver City, US

Feb 052016

Outback Limited 2.4L V4

• CVT transmission

I have a 2011 Suburu Outback 2.4, 4 cl with a CVT transmission. I noticed a problem when I was driving and the car would rev up for a sec or two, the needle would jump up, then go back to normal. After a little investigation we took it to a transmission shop. The transmission needed replaced at 109,000 miles. We were told that the CVT transmissions are only making it to around 1000,000 miles. Because they are a sealed unit, your options are a new one, at about $7000-$8000 a factory second at about $6000 or a rebuilt one at $3000. Not a cheap proposition whichever way you choose. The CVT's are only in the 4 cl. models. I am regretting not getting the 6 cl. So after paying a lot for the car to begin with and paying a lot for the transmission now I feel like I've put too much into it to get rid of it.

- Pam R., Kent, US

Apr 012016

Outback

Car stalls when coming to a stop such as at a light, usually occurs when the speed is <5mph. The car completely stalls, requiring a shift into park and restarting the car. Had the fuel injector cleaned, no change. This occurs intermittently and I never know when. This frequently occurs when there are cars behind me, putting me at risk for being rear-ended. This is thought to be an issue with the CVT system. There are no warning lights or anything to suggest a problem otherwise.

- bseng, Roswell, GA, USA

Jun 192016

Outback Limited

Got 2 codes that indicated solenoid problems. Dealership said it could be the electrical harness around the transmission or the valves, but they'd need more time to explore it. Could be a lot worse. Took it to my mechanic, he opened the transmission and said it was totally gunked up inside, nothing was circulating. I called the dealership to see when the routine scheduled transmission flush was recommended, and they said at 100,000 miles. Car has 101,000 on it. My mechanic said it needs a transmission rebuild or total replacement. Could run anywhere from $3600 for rebuild (not at dealership) to $6-7000. He says the transmission shouldn't be failing at 100,000 and that there are a lot of complaints about this.

- robynrobyn, Winchester, MA, USA

May 082015

• CVT transmission

I purchased this car because I wanted a car I could keep for a long time. I put a lot of mileage on a car and wanted one I could depend on. A $7300 repair seems ridiculous when I have kept cars for 200,000-400,000 miles in the past. I cannot even use a rebuilt transmission because it is a CVT. At 100,000 miles the car needed a new catalytic converter. That's $10,000 worth of repairs! I wouldn't buy a Subaru ever again, and I would advise anyone that owns one to sell it well before 100,000 miles. Additionally, I would recommend that NO ONE ever buy a used Subaru.

- bdh, Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jun 042015

Outback Premium

• CVT transmission

There was no forewarning of any sort of transmission problem. Despite following all the recommended care and maintenance, the National and Regional offices as well as local dealers refused to accept that it was defective and offered no assistance. I was quoted $9500 from the dealer's service dept to fix it.

The reputable transmission shop I then went to said that there are no new transmissions to buy, there are 110 on back order which will take months from the manufacturer, and this CVT cannot be rebuilt. He then found one with 25,000 miles on it and is replacing it now. Subaru did nothing to make amends and only caused me to waste nearly 1 month holding out hope that they'd actually stand by their product.

I will never buy a Subaru again after no only a defective car, but also the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

- Nancy D., Richmond, VT, USA