2015 Subaru Outback electrical problems: battery died

Battery Died

2015 Subaru Outback

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Subaru dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

6.9

$140

1. replaced battery (4 reports)
2015 Subaru Outback electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jun 122019

Outback 2.5i Premium

• CVT transmission

I noticed it hesitant to start yesterday. Completely dead this morning. On the charger, waiting to see what happens next.

- third wheel, Salem, US

Sep 232018

Outback Premium 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Drove the car till yesterday evening around 6 PM with no problems at all. Never a starting trouble too (like having to try twice or anything like that).

Did NOT leave any lights on. Car was locked properly (and does not have fob).

Today morning, the dashboard lights all came up, but the battery light was on. Thought may have left some light on. Checked everything, nothing.

Jump started the car with a portable battery pack. Was expecting the battery to charge after 30 mins. But even after driving for 45 mins, the car did not start later.

Taking it to workshop tomorrow.

Update from Oct 8, 2018: Jim Pattison Subaru Coquitlam, BC quoted me CA$259 to replace the battery with 3 years warranty!

The battery (group 25) is one of the rare ones. BCAA (AAA) said they don't carry it. Was searching for replacement battery for 3 days.

Finally found it (with higher CCA) at Edmonds Batteries in Surrey, BC. With taxes and installation they charged CA$156. Also 3 years full replacement warranty + another 3 years pro rated.

- Viraj K., Surrey, BC, Canada

Feb 262018

Outback Limited 2.5i

• CVT transmission

I’ve never personally owned a new vehicle where the battery failed in less than 3 years. The OEM battery in the vehicle was manufactured by Johnson Controls, JIS Type: 55D23R, BCI Group: 25, CCA: 356.

The replacement battery, from Interstate, has a CCA of 550 and is a rated 600 battery.

The old battery tested bad with the recommendation to “replace” by two separate facilities where I had it checked out. In other words, the battery was working one day and, the next, not only failed and required a jumper cable to start but also tested bad.

One would think the OEM battery should last a bit longer than 34 months. The car is garaged and weather in the Northwest is hardly what I’d call “cold” most of the year.

- Joel N., Kingston, WA, US

Jan 192018

Outback

Car was parked in a heated garage with key off and removed. Suspect the parasitic draw caused by computer memory (ecm,dcm and radio) to exceed acceptable limits. Battery was drained down too low for my charger detect any voltage at all and could not be charged. Local Subaru dealer sold a new direct replacement and the car is being watched closely for further error.

- Eric D., De Ruyter, NY, US

Dec 202015

Outback Limited 3.3L V6

Just purchased my first Subaru - - a new Outback Limited March 2015. First winter when the outside temperature dropped to freezing and below my Outback would not start. On one occasion I left inside vanity light on so this one time it was my fault. Thereafter, I was very careful to never leave lights on yet, the car still would not start on several occasions when the temps dropped to freezing. I took the car to the dealership where I purchased the car and they found nothing wrong. They told me I was not starting and driving my car enough and advised me to start car and drive it more often. My 20 year old Toyota Camry NEVER had this problem and I drove it the same short trips to store and around town. When I told the dealership this I was told to just take the long way back home from the store!!!!!! Following year I got a recall notice that addressed the problem. Three relays were were replaced. The description of the recall stated "Under certain extreme cold weather conditions, after the engine is shut off, ice crystals may form inside the relays which may temporary prevent you from re-starting the vehicle". After the relays were replaced per the recall I had no more problems starting the Outback the following severe winter.

- katinahat, Longview, WA, US

May 172016

accessories stay on with key turned off and removed

Car battery drained even though I had turned off key. Had to buy wrench to disconnect battery every time I parked for more than an hour or so.

- Edward C., Novato, CA, US

Aug 242016

accessories stay on with key turned off and removed

Was out in wilderness camping. Luckily I had a wrench to disconnect battery or battery would have been drained. 2nd time this has happened

- Edward C., Novato, CA, US