2017 Subaru Outback engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Subaru Outback:

2017 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Jan 012020

Outback

The car accelerates when braking. Only happened twice so far. Don't remember exactly where or what I was doing but for sure needed to slow down & as I braked the car also accelerated at the same time. I don't remember the dates. It's been awhile ago.

- Fernley, NV, USA

Dec 062019

Outback

Windshield cracks and instantly spread with minimal impact disabling car speed control and safety systems such as pre-collision braking and lane keep assist.

- Richwood, TX, USA

Aug 202019

Outback

Car stalled (4X's at least) when making turns; stalled after passing a car when I returned to my lane with high speed traffic behind me. Have had this problem since we purchased car. Have taken to dealer several times, each time the result was "they couldn't duplicate problem", once they said they adjusted the software to correct problem, result didn't seem to improve.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA

Aug 192019

Outback

Yesterday morning, I stopped my Subaru in order to back into a parking space. The car was in drive and my foot was on the brake. While my foot was still on the brake and I was changing gears from drive to reverse, the engine started accelerating full-throttle. I had to press the brake pedal very hard to prevent the car from going down the hillside behind the parking lot. I put the car back in park with the engine revving full-throttle and turned the ignition off. After this incident the car operated normally until today. Today, my car was parked in my driveway in front of my garage. When I started the car everything seemed fine until, with my foot on the brake, I attempted to change gears from park to drive. Again the engine immediately and unexpectedly accelerated full-throttle. As I was moving the gear shifter from park to reverse to neutral to drive, I again had to press the brake pedal very hard to prevent the car from backing into my garage door. I immediately called my Subaru dealer but could not reach the service department. After 10-12 rings I got a message instructing me to leave a message for them to call me back since they were currently experiencing heavy call volume due to an increase in recall issues. I called back and got through to someone in the service department and explained the problem to them. They said they were unfamiliar with this problem on Subaru Outbacks.

- Beaver Falls, PA, USA

Jul 162019

Outback

Was sitting at a traffic light on a city street, the light turned green and I accelerated through the light and after 100-200 yards, the car accelerated wide-open on its own. I hit one car on the right rear and rear-ended another which stopped the vehicle. All the airbags deployed.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

May 122019

Outback

When pulling into a head no prking space, the engine revved and the car sped forward several feet, hitting a rock in the lawn. I put the car in reverse and the same thing happened with car speeding until I could hit the brake.

- Stowe, VT, USA

Apr 202019

Outback

The contact owns a 2017 Subaru Outback. While pulling into a parking space at a very slow speed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and crashed into a pole and a second vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer and dealer were not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000.

- Harmony, PA, USA

Sep 222018

Outback

Similar to complain dated 12/09/2016 by someone else. About a year ago I was at a light waiting to turn left, my foot was on the brake when suddenly the engine revved up and I had to switch to neutral to return to idle speed. I notified a Subaru representative on the internet. This month I had 4 occasions that I had similar experience in a shopping mall trying to turn right into a parking space. This Friday I tried to park in my garage after 5 miles drive, and my wife was a passenger, I turned the wheel slightly to the left when the engine revved up from idle of 600 to 2000 RPM and then went to 4000 RPM. I was using the brake and I felt a skid of a tire. Switched to neutral and park and turned off the engine. My wife was scared and would not ride in my car. I have an appointment with my wakefield Subaru dealer on 09/25/18, I did not drive my car since the last episode. My odometer is 14241 miles. I am positive I did not step on the gas, only the brake.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Aug 042018

Outback

The contact owns a 2017 Subaru Outback. While the vehicle was completely stopped, it accelerated independently. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal was depressed, but the vehicle continued to accelerate and crashed into a tree. A police report was filed. The air bags deployed. The driver sustained chest and stomach injuries and the contact sustained wrist injuries, which required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to yark Subaru (6141 central ave, toledo, oh 43615). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,500.

- Middletown, MD, USA

Feb 132018

Outback

Lease date | 08/25/17 on 01/17/18 after several days of the eye sight system turning on and off, I notice that a piece of foam had fallen in the way of the passenger camera. I notified Subaru of America of this through their website and mike shaw Subaru fixed the issue. Today, after two day of eye sight system turning on and off, I notice that a piece of foam had now fallen in the way of the driver side camera. I have not had this repaired. Both events severely interfere with the cars safety features from operating and, in the case of the first occurrence, the auto braking system did deploy incorrectly at times.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Aug 072017

Outback

While braking at an intersection the car would suddenly accelerate into the intersection. This happens often. I need to concentrate on my foot position every time I hit the brakes to make sure that my foot does not accidentally hit the gas also. For your information, I am 6 feet tall and wear a size 11 1/2 shoe.

- Wildwood, MO, USA

Jun 082017

Outback

On 8 June 2017 I had just pulled into a parking spot in front of a medical suite when my leased three month old 2017 Subaru Outback with 1,000 miles suddenly had an unintended acceleration episode jumping the curb and crashing into a brick wall and suite door after displacing a threshold column by two inches. The airbag did not deploy, the "eyesight" function did not stop the vehicle, the seat belt did not restrain me and my chest slammed into the steering wheel, my knees crashed into the dashboard. On 2 June, less than a week earlier, the car had done the same unintended acceleration while backing out of a parking spot, but nothing was hit at that time. After the initial ambulance er visit, plus two more, my physical injuries consisting of aches and pains, bruises, xrays, iv treatment for persistent headache after the accident, are insignificant compared to the mental and emotional damage. Not to mention the economic burden and frustrating situation this leaves me in. I contacted the dealership and sent in pictures of the vehicles and damaged building. They in turn referred my complaint to Subaru of America who was very diligent in performing an investigation and keeping me updated with the procedure. However, almost two months after the accident, Subaru of America claims their results indicate "misapplication of throttle and break" clearly putting the blame on me, without mentioning anything about the first incident, and the lack of response of the safety features of the vehicle during the accident. There are at least 34 reports of similar accidents due to unintended acceleration of Outback vehicles, and at least 70 related to the Subaru forester on carproblemzoo.com since 2000. I now find myself with a beautiful brand new vehicle that I will pay the lease for, but don't feel comfortable driving out of fear that the unintended acceleration will reoccur.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Jun 022017

Outback

Car attempted to accelerate without input from driver.while approaching a stop sign I was slowing down with my foot on the brake car engine suddenly raved up to 4000 K, when I shifted to neutral engine revved to 7000K. I put car back in gear and drove car approximately a quarter mile back to my home using the brakes to control speed of car and called the dealer. Had car towed to dealer where it remains.

- Colonia, NJ, USA

Dec 082016

Outback 4-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space when the vehicle suddenly accelerated forward with the engine revving. I slammed on the brakes preventing a collision with the care parked in the opposite parking space. The car continued to try to accelerate. I took the car out of gear and the engine roared, over revved, slowed, and over revved a second time before finely slowing down. This is the second time this has happened. Definite safety issue. Has something to do with the eyesight system/cruise control.

- Hendersonville, TN, USA