9.5

1. replace frame (11 reports)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments

Dec 152020

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

This FJ only has 133K miles, the frame is disintegrating. This week the rear trailing arm mounting point tore away from the frame while my son was driving. There is no good metal to weld it back in.

This summer the trailer hitch tore away from the rear structural support.

We have kept the FJ in good condition, treating the frame with rust inhibitors with no success.

The way these FJ frames are rusting out is a safety issue.

- Jon S., Peabody, MA, US

Nov 242020

click to see larger images

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

Absolutely not acceptable for a 13 year old vehicle, especially from a respected manufacturer like Toyota, to have the frame rust through, to the point of being a major safety hazard if driven.

- Dave M., Savannah, GA, US

Apr 172021

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

Just discovered that Toyota is ignoring issues with FJ Cruisers' severe premature frame rust issues after discovering this weekend that I could poke my finger through my side frame! I wanted Toyota to issue a recall and make it right for the FJ Cruiser owners. (Like I also discovered after doing more research this weekend that they replaced Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia frames for the SAME issues.)

- mlhuber81, Des Moines, US

Mar 112011

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

Love this car but I don’t know how safe it is to drive. After seeing many others with the same problem, Toyota needs to make the necessary repairs.

- Thomas P., West Islip, NY, US

Feb 202019

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

I bought this vehicle used with significant rusting of the frame and underbody components. I thought that it may be treatable having done a lot of research on how to restore/save the frame. I paid a client to use their body shop and help to descale all of the frame and components using wire wheels and other brushes. We coated everything with Chassis Saver, and used Eastwood Internal Frame treatment on all of the inner frame structure. I then used a second coat of Chassis Saver over every piece I could. One year later, all of the rust is breaking back through. I have not driven the vehicle in inclement weather conditions- snow, salt, brine, etc. Many of the small parts are rusting to where I may be able to break them off by hand. I am concerned about the tank strap and many thinner brackets, such as the control arm mounts, as they are thinner metal and may be subject to failure. Should this happen at high speeds, there may be a serious accident that may occur.

- Michael M., Westerville, US

Jul 022020

FJ Cruiser V6, Stock

frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting frame rusting

Frame rust is really bad. Factory should have used better metal for brackets and prepped for anti-corrosion. Multiple parts will need to be placed and lots of work to eliminate the cancer that is rust.

- Jm J., Markham, IL, US

Jun 292020

FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6

The frame rusting on my recently purchased 2007 FJ is highly concerning. When inspected by a professional its amazing this and many of the other cars are still on the road. The frame rusting will destroy this car before the engine goes bad. This is a major safety hazard for anyone that owns or drives one of these vehicles.

- Andrew B., Herriman, US

Dec 252018

FJ Cruiser 4.0L

Bought vehicle new in 2007. Frame was noticed to be surface rusting badly by 2008, and since then the frame and suspension component have turned into a completely rusted flaking mess. Left rear stabilizer arm mounting bracket disintegrated and let go in 2016 while I was driving it. That was replaced 2 years ago, but now the right rear arm is about ready to let go. Body is in very good condition with no rust, but the entire underside of the vehicle is a horror show of crusty, rusted metal that's flaking away. Power steering fluid return line also failed due to rust.

- John S., Uxbridge, US

Jul 012016

FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6

Bought the FJ used in Aug 2014. In 2016 replaced shocks and struts. Noticed excessive rust on suspension components and some rust holes in frame. In Spring of 2018 attempted to pull a trailer with fire wood and heard a crunching noise, after inspection, the Reese hitch integrated in frame was bent, the cross member is completely rotten. Sept 2018, noticed fuel tank skid plate was hanging down and wanted to have the vehicle serviced before going on vacation. The mechanic called and said the frame is totally rusted and the vehicle is not road worthy.

Right now the FJ is sitting at dealer waiting for inspection to determine if Toyota will replace the frame, otherwise I am without a vehicle.

- Jess N., Evansville, IN, US

Sep 142016

FJ Cruiser Groupe B 4.0L

frame rusting

the frame is very rusty..the body no rust and have only 180000km 2007 fj cruiser...I not abuse it......when I drive in the road the arms in rear suspensions stripe off into the frame mount and my rear differential twisted right off..my fj make a donut and go off the pavement....chance my speed is only 40 km at this time and no car come in front of me...if my speed had more of that maybe the chance to survive had lower.... I put a metal brace to think I can put it back on the road bud when I see the holes on rest of the fram ...ihh I chang my mind.. I cannot found a frame in a junk yard because is rare to fing a good fj fram there ..I love my fj and I will always have a Toyota truck or suv.....but with the years and mileage in my fj is bad think for me...hope I am alive right now!!

- yvesv, Pont-lafrance, NB, Canada

Nov 012016

FJ Cruiser 4.0L V6

I took my 2007 FJ in for differential, transmission and transfer case oil changes and was informed that the whole under side of my FJ was rusted out. I took the truck to my local body shop and was told that rust issues such as mine can range in prices depending on the extent of the damage. He also contacted Toyota for me, who told him that it is a known issue, and then stated "Class Action Lawsuit"; not sure if the lawsuit is in the works or is in progress. I currently have only 57600 miles on the vehicle and would hate to get rid of it being that it is such a fun truck and it was only made for a short time.

- Joseph B., Wayne, NJ, US

May 012015

FJ Cruiser V6

Toyota is replacing frames on the trucks because they are rotted- well, so are the FJ's!! But they are not replacing these frames because it's just a loss for them. I guess it has to break and kill someone to be replaced! Even then the replacements won't happen. I will never buy another Toyota.

- upsetfj, Porter Corners, NY, US

Dec 012011

FJ Cruiser

Total rust bucket just like Tacoma rust issues. There's no describing it. Seriously. Dealership undercoated for free. They know there are issues.

- Ethan S., Clifton Park, NY, US