ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

7.8

$2,210

2. added oil (36 reports)
  3. rebuild engine (17 reports)
  4. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (17 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (7 reports)
  6. have to replace vvti line (4 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Mar 012018

RAV4 4 cyl

I have had 4 toyotas - this is unbelievabe! I am adding 1 1/4 qts of oil for every 1200 miles- toyota needs to FIX this on these they know it is a problem!!

- Lisa W., Palisade, CO, US

Mar 012018

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

My 2007 Rav4 was consuming a lot of oil 2 yrs after i bought it. The oil light would come on and when i would go to a garage it was always bone dry. I would always have to check the oil. Then i had a new gasket cover installed along with an oil change. That was 3 months ago. Now, the oil light came on again and it was bone dry. I am going to call the dealer and ask them if they have any idea why this is going on and if they are aware of all the complaints. I did see online where the problem lies with defective Piston Rings. So, I will get on that now.

- Millie S., Westminster, MA, US

Nov 062017

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

I have liked my 2007 RAV4 Toyota until this problem. Other than the paint on the wheels bubbling and peeling, which I felt was rather minor, I was very satisfied with my vehicle until I starting noticing the check engine oil light coming on just a couple of months after an oil change. At first I thought maybe the oil was not topped off after the oil change. But, after this happened the first time, I checked the oil level which was good. Then this next time the check engine oil light came on again before I had put on 2000 miles. I talked to my brother-in-law about it and he checked a website and saw this was a common problem that Toyota refuses to recognize. Now I am hesitant on purchasing another Toyota. I have since found others that own older models of the Toyota Camry having the same problem which indicates to me that this has been an ongoing problem that Toyota has yet to fix.

- Marge P., Middleburg Hts, US

Jul 032017

RAV4 Sport

I bought this car in July of 2017. I have to check the oil every week. It is very annoying. I want to know why this car uses so much oil. I have to drive around with bottles of oil in my car & worry that I am going to run out of oil. I don't think I would ever buy a Toyota again.

- Grace M., Plainview, US

Dec 122017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

I purchased this used auto from Best Auto Mart, Dec. 12, 2017. It was a one owner with a clean Car Fax 129,000 miles. On arrival to my home via tow truck drop off from the dealer. I got into the auto to drive to an inspection center so that I could register etc. I drove the car for 15 minutes and the engine light came on, oil light, ems. etc.

I pulled over called the dealer and a tow and sent the auto back. The dealer stated he would repair the issues including the cruise control. The auto was once again returned to me by tow. I get the car take it for inspection and it passed. However, later the oil light comes on. I take it to a oil change facility and low and behold NO OIL in the engine, just a drop before the engine would have blown.

So I call the dealer again. He stated; I refuse to fix another thing on that car. My 30 days warranty is not up. So I call again and a man stated he was out of the country and I would have to wait till he came back. Guess what? He is back and is still not answering my calls.

Now I call Toyota because I had them check the car and they told me it had call backs on this model and year some they could do and I would have to call Toyota to get permission for the call back on the oil consumption problem. Now Toyota spokespersons. CEO's or supervisors stated it should have been done by the last owner and they will not repair it now.

Now I have a 5 year payment for a car I can't drive unless I keep putting oil in it every 350 miles. It is $8.00 a quart. I am so disappointed and mechanics tell me it was a recall and the Toyota CEO says its not.

I am elderly and handicapped on a limited social security as well as single. So tell me what to do. I am so upset and Toyota should fix the problem because they knew it was a problem and still is in the 2007 limited Rav4s. Now someone told me the other day to call the state police for safety as it may be an issue..

Good God what do I do? Any advice anyone? The dealer should take the car back or Toyota should fix the problem? Someone pleas help me. Oh yes and I called Toyota again and they explained there is another call back on this car, it never ends.

- Roseann Z., Revere, MA, US

Feb 082017

RAV4 Limited 2.5L

Noticed more than average oil use in my 2007 Toyota RAV4. Oil consumption is about 3 to 4 quarts between oil changes. Took the car to Toyota and informed them of the oil consumption, their response was "that's normal" and they offered no other help or solution. I learned from YouTube about the oil issue on the RAV4 and did some research and found a TSB bulletin for the problem but no recall.

- Michael S., Gilroy, CA, US

Nov 072016

RAV4 Vvt-I

Hi, I take my car to norwalk toyota but they never said anything about my car problem until the warranty went off. That's when they said 'your car is burning too much oil, you need to change the pistons, and your warranty is no longer covering the cost'. I wonder what can I do? Because this is B.S and I should not have to pay for this repair. They waited until my warranty ran out to tell me the problem.

- yuneez2000el, Norwalk, US

Oct 042017

RAV4 Sport

My husband and I are always on top of this but there are times when we forget to buy oil from AutoZone and we end up using the other car that we have. We love this RAV4 because it's so sporty and agile.

- mfpt, Mechanicsville, US

Nov 012017

RAV4 2.4L

At least adding one quart a week. Sometimes if forgotten (thank god for the idiot light) it is down at least two and a half quart. I'm no scientist but that's not good for the motor.

- dwskidw, Harwich, US

May 052010

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

The oil consumption getting worse and worse. I have 220,000km on my car and I have to add 1 liter of oil every 800 km.

- Alexander S., Gilford, ON, Canada

Oct 272015

RAV4 2.4L

I have dealt with this issue and the issues that have arisen as a result, clogging emission system, hoses, valves, etc. since I purchased the car in 2014. I have spent a lot of money. Very bad experience. I purchased this car from a dealer, one previous owner. Car facts were impeccable, maintenance every 3000 miles, not 5000. All I have had is engine problems since the purchase. I have been without a vehicle at least once a year for every year since my purchase. This has been and continues to be the most awful experience I have had in the purchase of a vehicle. It is now not running with P2420, P0420, P0441 codes, I still owe $5000 and mechanics basically running because they know it has already been through so much and who knows where this will go. I don't ordinarily put an automaker down but have seen your complaints on the 2007 RAV4 and I'm hoping Toyota will make good on this wrong. I plan to write as this is just not right. I would never allow this to happen to my customer. I could have purchased a new car. I have taken my car to multiple reputable mechanics in this area, who have been in business many years, as well as Toyota service. All shake their heads in discouragement. So, while I could add several more complaints, I will let this one suffice for now.

- gitnitdun, Atlanta, US

Dec 092017

RAV4 2.4L

Toyota RAV4 2007 with really low mileage - 69,000. I am the original owner. Wife does not drive a lot. The low oil light started to come up at 69K when car was 11 years old and out of all warranties. Dealer suggested a repair for $4,300. It is unheard of having engine excessive oil burning at 69K. Dealer said that Toyota only covers up to 10 years or 150K. This auto is 11 years old but only half the mileage. Dealer said Toyota does not cover such repairs for my car. I read that this issue is common for many Toyota's built between 2006 and 2011. Not sure how industry auto leader can get away with such major issues?

- alex chicago, Buffalo Grove, US

Dec 282017

RAV4 Limited V4

i HAVE TO GET THE OIL TOPPED OFF EVERY WEEK, WHICH COSTS ABOUT 20-30 DOLLARS A WEEK! I HAVE ONLY HAD THIS CAR FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS AND ONLY USED IT FOR THE PAST MONTH. I HAVE ALREADY SPENT CLOSE TO $200 JUST OF OIL ISSUES FOR THE PAST 30 DAYS. THIS IS NOT INCLUDING ALL THE OTHER ISSUES I HAVE HAD WITH THIS CAR.

- Tenzin P., Wood Ridge, NJ, US

Jan 012018

RAV4 Sport V6

After my husband passed away, I purchased my first brand new car - a Toyota Rav4. I believed Toyota to be a reputable company - I was wrong. The problem typically occurs when the vehicle has reached about 100,000 miles, which is of course outside of the warranty period. Toyota is aware that the excessive oil consumption problem is widespread, across many years and models; Toyota even issued a Technical Service Bulletin about the problem. I will never purchase another Toyota. Further, I will tell everyone I know, and those I don't, to NOT purchase a Toyota.

- miss-muffett, James Island, US

Feb 022015

RAV4 3.2L

The engine is burning oil fast every 1200 miles. I have to change the oil twice as a regular car

- Wanda T., Rosedale, US

Jul 012017

RAV4

Toyota has always been the number one car that I would want to buy, that is why I brought this Rav4 from a friend who had leased it and was turning it in to Toyota. It was in excellent shape. I figured I would have this car for a very long time without any major problems. But I can't believe when I got in the car today to go home from work and the oil light came on. I had to stop at a auto zone to get oil, never had to put any oil in it before. I kept having the problem and to this day still do. I took it to the toyota dealership to have the oil change, the guy said they could do the usage test and said normally they mark the dip stick but said he wouldn't have to on mine since I just got the oil changed. Of course when I brought it back, it had no supposedly used any. I now have to put a quart of oil a week in it. I believe the car dealership did wrong by not marking the dipstick. Cant trust them anymore. People shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a problem this major fixed. There should be a recall on them all. I feel my car has zero resale value because of this issue.

- Jean G., Birmingham, US

Dec 242017

RAV4

I am consistently having to add oil, the car was just purchased Oct 24-2017.

- Lucie D., Gilmanton Iw, US

Jun 012014

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

The vehicle has burned oil since we purchased it used. Toyota did a recall and we brought it in and after we drove it for the allotted 1200 miles they said it did not meet the threshold. The vehicle burns oil like crazy.

- James R., Portsmouth, US

Nov 152017

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

Toyota dealership says I need the engine rebuilt. I just purchased the vehicle a couple of months ago. Toyota dealership claims if it had been brought in before August of 2017, they would have repaired it. But, since I didn't own the vehicle then, it's totally on me. Really???? They admit it is their own design flaw, but won't fix it??? I thought Toyota was better than this!

- sbrasesmith, Cedar Rapids, US

Aug 012017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

So far the Rav4 has been a good car, but since this summer it has been eating a hole in my pocket by burning oil. I have not gotten any answers yet to see if Toyota will help with the fix (since poor engineering is the root of the problem). As for now I'm doomed to check/add oil every few hundred miles!! that's right, I figured I'm burning a quart every 800 miles. Come on Toyota!! Probably the first and last Toyota I'll ever own.

- Shane A., Rice Lake, US