7.8

$2,080.00

2. added oil (30 reports)
  3. Toyota is doing an oil usage test (17 reports)
  4. rebuild engine (12 reports)
  5. toyota is waiting for part (4 reports)
  6. no--the dealership continues to wait for repair parts (3 reports)
2007 Toyota RAV4 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota RAV4:

2007 Toyota RAV4 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jan 012018

RAV4 Sport V6

After my husband passed away, I purchased my first brand new car - a Toyota Rav4. I believed Toyota to be a reputable company - I was wrong. The problem typically occurs when the vehicle has reached about 100,000 miles, which is of course outside of the warranty period. Toyota is aware that the excessive oil consumption problem is widespread, across many years and models; Toyota even issued a Technical Service Bulletin about the problem. I will never purchase another Toyota. Further, I will tell everyone I know, and those I don't, to NOT purchase a Toyota.

- , James Island, US

Feb 022015

RAV4 3.2L

The engine is burning oil fast every 1200 miles. I have to change the oil twice as a regular car

- , Rosedale, US

Jul 012017

RAV4

Toyota has always been the number one car that I would want to buy, that is why I brought this Rav4 from a friend who had leased it and was turning it in to Toyota. It was in excellent shape. I figured I would have this car for a very long time without any major problems. But I can't believe when I got in the car today to go home from work and the oil light came on. I had to stop at a auto zone to get oil, never had to put any oil in it before. I kept having the problem and to this day still do. I took it to the toyota dealership to have the oil change, the guy said they could do the usage test and said normally they mark the dip stick but said he wouldn't have to on mine since I just got the oil changed. Of course when I brought it back, it had no supposedly used any. I now have to put a quart of oil a week in it. I believe the car dealership did wrong by not marking the dipstick. Cant trust them anymore. People shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get a problem this major fixed. There should be a recall on them all. I feel my car has zero resale value because of this issue.

- , Birmingham, US

Dec 242017

RAV4

I am consistently having to add oil, the car was just purchased Oct 24-2017.

- , Gilmanton Iw, US

Jun 012014

RAV4 2.4L 4 cyl

The vehicle has burned oil since we purchased it used. Toyota did a recall and we brought it in and after we drove it for the allotted 1200 miles they said it did not meet the threshold. The vehicle burns oil like crazy.

- , Portsmouth, US

Nov 152017

RAV4 Sport 4 cyl

Toyota dealership says I need the engine rebuilt. I just purchased the vehicle a couple of months ago. Toyota dealership claims if it had been brought in before August of 2017, they would have repaired it. But, since I didn't own the vehicle then, it's totally on me. Really???? They admit it is their own design flaw, but won't fix it??? I thought Toyota was better than this!

- , Cedar Rapids, US

Aug 012017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L

So far the Rav4 has been a good car, but since this summer it has been eating a hole in my pocket by burning oil. I have not gotten any answers yet to see if Toyota will help with the fix (since poor engineering is the root of the problem). As for now I'm doomed to check/add oil every few hundred miles!! that's right, I figured I'm burning a quart every 800 miles. Come on Toyota!! Probably the first and last Toyota I'll ever own.

- , Rice Lake, US

Nov 012017

RAV4

My car went through an oil consumption test via Toyota and was deemed to have an acceptable amount of oil loss while in use. This is crazy as it needs a quart every 500 miles. This isn't acceptable and considering Toyota knows this is a problem across many of their vehicles it is a major hazard. All you have to do is forget to fill the oil and you've destroyed your car. Something must be done. Toyota recognizes the problem exists and deems it normal. I've never had a vehicle that needed so much oil without leaking all over the place. This is not acceptable and Toyota needs to step up.

- , Vallecito, US

Mar 062017

RAV4 Limited 2.4L 4 cyl

Ongoing issue of excessive oil consumption. Continue to put in oil to ensure the engine does not blow up. Currently using 1 quart every 1,200 miles.

- , Marysville, US

Sep 012017

RAV4 ES 2gr-Fe V6

We bought car in July and my daughter has only driven a couple thousand miles and we have gone through 4 quarts of oil. And the engine rattles like a diesel upon cold starting. If we don't keep dumping excessive amounts of oil in car then I will lose the engine.

- , Solvang, US

Oct 192017

RAV4

Around 90,000 miles I noticed the car was consuming too much oil. I had to add oil before my oil changes. Never have I had a car where I had to add oil before the change was due. As I put the miles on, it gradually started to get worse. I brought my car in to a local dealership for a recall on oil consumption. The result ...everything is normal, "it's normal for the engine to burn a little oil". Now I drive 100 miles and have to fill it about 1/4 quart. Now my car is smoking. I will not bring it to the Toyota dealership because I don't trust a bunch of Bullshit artists.

- , Bemidji, US

Jan 092012

RAV4 LX 2.4L

It is a pain in the ass especially since I use synthetic oil,very costly over the years. I hope they Toyota come up with a fair fix or compensation, my friend has a Volkswagon diesel and they compensated him for faulty emission testing,how can excessive oil burning or dripping into the enviroment be a good thing, I'm suprised that the envirormentalists arent all over this horrible problem !

- , Orillia, ON, Canada

Aug 292017

RAV4

2007 RAV4 total engine failure due to oil consumption. Was due for an oil change, but until I could get in to get the oil changed, I had a quart of oil added to bring it to full. 2 weeks later, the engine failed. Diagnosis is total engine failure due to no oil. Frustraing part is that while speaking with Toyota, this has been a problem for a quite a while. it rears its ugly head at around 100,000 miles or so. Toyota has issued several enhanced warranties and fixes, but no recalls. The enhanced warranties are not easy to find and are not communicated the same as Safety Recalls. Toyota Customer Service rep clainms to get many calls on this issue. They stopped the enhanced warranty fixes in March 2017. The notifications went out in 2014 and 2015. We bought the vehicle used in July of 2015 and never received any literature or notificatioin of the excessive oil consumption issue nor any possible fix for it. Now we are without a vehicle. New engine is $4000. Blue book for car is about the same. So disheartening! And so pathetic of Toyota to know of this issue and not stand behind their product. Never owned a Toyota before. Never plan to again.

- , Chesterfield, MO, US

Feb 082016

RAV4 Limited 2.5L 4 cyl

When I discovered I was losing oil in early 2016, I brought my car to my mechanic. He did the oil consumption test, tied off the dipstick, and I brought it back at 1200 miles. The oil was down almost 2 quarts. I then took it to the Toyota Dealership in Apex, NC. When I pulled into the service line and mentioned what I was there for, the man immediately said, "that's $800 right off the top for me". In other words, there was no way they were going to repair my car whether it needed it or not. After having my car for 3 hours that day, they came back saying I needed $650 of work before they would consider doing the oil consumption test. I had them do the work, tie off the dipstick for the testing and brought the car back to them at 1200 miles as instructed. Again down almost 2 quarts and they said the was within the range that Toyota accepts for oil loss. They said I could bring it back in 6 months (I think) and they could retest it. I did take it back, but to the Raleigh dealership. Again, they had my car for 3 1/2 hours and came back to say I needed $1,200 worth of work before they can do the testing. I took my keys and left. I lived with the fact that I needed to add oil to my car every 4 - 6 weeks. Expensive and a pain in the ass. Well, my car's engine blew up on 8/28/2017 and I am at a loss of what to do.

- , Apex, US

Dec 172016

RAV4 2.5L

Often have to cancel trips because I am concerned about my oil consumption. This is getting out of hand and affecting my daily routine. The engine often needs to be tended to during long trips.

- , Philadelphia, US

May 062016

RAV4 LTD

My car is going to die before it's fixed! You know the problem, it needs to be done.

- , Merced, CA, USA

May 012016

RAV4 Economy 2.4L 4 cyl

I have never seen an oil spill on my driveway but ALWAYS get oil light on about 1,500 miles into my 3K oil change cycle

Last year the dealer said they would check, gave me an oil change I didn't ask for (I just had one so all that good new oil when to waste - that's what the car does anyway I suppose), charged me for unwanted oil change and quoted me another $1,300 to replace gaskets, hoses etc., not sure but basically they said they could not isolate the problem without fixing these things first.

I planned to have the work done elsewhere and comeback.

Recently when I was at the deal for ANOTHER recall remediation (there are so many it is tough to keep track), I mentioned the oil thing. The dealer acted like it was the first he'd heard and unapologetically said that it was out of warranty so there was nothing they could do (didn't even consider overcharging me to fix it). I'm done with that dealer but assume most are the same. I generally mistrust these guys, they are shady and lie. In this case could be manufacturer instruction, hard to tell.

- , Randolph, US

Apr 012017

RAV4 3.2L

The vehicle is needing oil weekly, the only fix is rebuilding the engine or trashing it at an $8000 loss. It's not sellable and the dealerships won't repair it because it's past warranty. So, we've got a current RAV4 loan for $8000 and as a student can't get another vehicle loan to purchase a replacement one, at this rate the engine is going to seize. This should be a recall.

- , Rutland, US

Jun 242017

RAV4

I am extremely disappointed in Toyota. I have complained to three different dealerships about the oil consumption in my 2007 Rav4. A test was done last year and I was told: "it was normal".

It is not normal to put a quart of oil in your vehicle every 1000 miles.

- , ElizabethtownE, KY, US

Jul 012016

RAV4 Limited 4 Cyl 4x4

This POS 2007 RAV 4 Limited was rated #1 & I'll NEVER TRUST their ratings again. Bought it new. Traded it in on a new 2012 Ford Escape Limited 6 cyl & still have it with no complaints at all with 48k still like new. Toyota = Recalls !!! I don't know how they could be rated so good.

- , Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA