CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 232016

Cobalt

My problems are came about with the electronic power steering on this vehicle as I have searched and found the problem too be very common. Found that it has been widely recalled including my model year with numerous complaints too the NHTSA. The first time it happened I was getting ready too go to a doctors appointment, the power steering message came on the dashboard, everything seemed too be working except the speedometer and it drove fine. On the way back home however the car would no shift past first gear. I took it too a mechanic that lives next too me. He said the wiring harness was bad, replaced it, got it back. Drove fine with no problems for three weeks, even the driver front blinker was working which had never worked since I got the car back in March of this year. Then after the three weeks the power steering message came back on and all the same symptoms are back, no speedometer, hard shifting if any, it even caused the engine light too come on this time which an auto parts store determined too be a random misfire. I changed the spark plugs and it went off. My theory is that the tcm is not grounded correctly too handle this and shorts out as I have found that others have grounded the tcm and it has fixed all the problems too their claim. I searched recalls on my car using the VIN and my car is not listed on it and since this has been recurring and I've had all the problems everyone else has noted I feel that is a great concern. The message and all the effects happen as soon as I start the car if it's going too happen (so far). It first happened on the date indicated and then again on 11/15/2016.

- Noel, MO, USA

Aug 102016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 65 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the rpms revved intermittently. In addition, the vehicle failed to properly shift gears several times. The dealer was notified of the failure, but the vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000. Updated 10/05/16

- Ventnor City, NJ, USA

Jun 222016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 40 mph, the power steering seized and the engine light illuminated without warning. Directly after, the vehicle jerked and accelerated without warning and the speedometer malfunctioned. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 182,000.

- Brick, NJ, USA

May 012016

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly would not accelerate and came to a complete stop; however, the engine did not shut off. Prior to the incident, the traction control and check engine lights illuminated. When the traction control light illuminated, the transmission jerked really hard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the ECM needed reprogramming. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 134,000.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Feb 182015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 65 mph, the instrument panel failed. The contact also stated that the check engine, power steering assist, check fuel cap, and service engine soon warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed and repaired. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. On several occasions, the vehicle was difficult to start after several attempts. The contact also stated that the transmission module failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Sand Lakes, PA, USA

Nov 182015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver and the power steering warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted into the neutral position as the vehicle revved without warning. The contact was able to switch back to the appropriate gear. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Oct 152015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle jerked and the power steering warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure recurred several times. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,600.

- Winnsboro, LA, USA

Jul 292015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While making a right turn at 30 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn and the contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle lost power and the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle failed to accelerate, the rpms increased, and the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact independently replaced the power steering motor and the power steering module; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Little River, SC, USA

Jul 232015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving at 70 mph, the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel became difficult to turn. When the vehicle was in the park position, it rolled forward and crashed into a fence. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number:14V171000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 132,927.

- Nettie, WV, USA

Jul 152015

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle decelerated and would not accelerate. The steering wheel seized. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the ignition switch and two keys were replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,417.

- Laredo, TX, USA

May 042015

Cobalt

Electrical warning light (T/C) reappear does not turn off through normal drive. Tempature display not obtain data for outside hear index. Power steering warning is showing during usual operation small resistance with turning of wheel not noticeable if unaware of car capabilities. Power train possible transmission failure no power going up a vertical highway height causes stoppage of momentum while excelerator is being applied to the max. Taken car to dealer for professional opinion considering the asking price being huge that number of defects are large only having the car for two years these problems are exhausting.

- Seale, AL, USA

Jun 112013

Cobalt

First I had the control arm bushing replaced twice within the first year of owning it, the car was bought brand new. The last two years the car started to chug at stops display would read reduced power mil light would come on I had to stop the car, disconnect the battery then it would go away and could drive it. This last year the car will now upon starting the display will read power steering, security system locked this car does not have a security system, the gauges go haywire car dings low fuel, when trying to move the car shifts very hard, brake pedal hard to push, car surges and chugs when stopped.

- Jefferson, WI, USA

Sep 052014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated several times. The vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 10V073000 (steering) but months later the failure recurred. The contact stated that the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel was making a clicking noise. In addition, when changing gears there was an abnormal noise. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle stalled several times when changing gears. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- East Canton, OH, USA

Dec 062014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My wife was driving her car a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls all of the sudden the dash board lights turned on as if it was being turned on from a cold start. The car started to buckle in the message board started to say power steering. She lost power steering and had to make an emergency stop. I checked the car that afternoon and nothing seemed fine then on a Saturday afternoon it did the same thing to me. I took it to a mechanic to be scanned and the code U0073 popped up which is the control module bus ( communication buss was off). The transmission has not been shifting right, hard, rough shifts are being done. The idle drops and raises automatically. My door lock for he driver side does not open as well. This is really unsafe.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 062014

• 1,003,000 miles
Strange sounds thought it was hubs recently but on, wasn't. maybe the crankcase, wasn't. got louder, more concerned now that my son's were using it to go to work. Realize the many recalls. Non responsive GM. Many weeks wait for replacement parts no loaners.

- Aroura, , OR, USA

Nov 212014

Cobalt

While leaving from a parking lot my power steering gave out. It is electrical and affects the rest of the electrical in the car. Transmission feels affected as well. When changing gears the engine will drop drastically creating a change in momentum and sending the driver and passenger forward. From reading online this seems to be an ongoing issue with 2005 and 2006 Chevrolet Cobalts.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 212014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I've had several recalls on my car. Air bags, power steering, ignition switch. I was only able to get 2 of these fixed because the others were not "valid" recalls for my vehicle. One of the issues the ignition switch recall has is that the car turns off. The car. Turns. Off. I don't know why and I don't know how. I just know, the car turns off. This has been a daily battle for me. It started a few months before the recall was released and continues to this day. I was driving across an intersection, the light just turned green, a few cars in front of me. I press the gas slightly & my car turns off. I wasn't even going 10 mph. I wasn't even going more than 5! another incident a few days prior, I was coming to another intersection and another car in the opposite direction was making a left so he was in the middle of the intersection. Thankfully I was not going so fast that I could've stopped and he could've passed. Just as I was approaching the lines to cross into the intersection, my car turned off again. My car is constantly turning off in the middle of rush hour traffic. Thankfully it's traffic so it's going slow but it has happened that my car will just turn off in the middle of me actually driving! there have been many times that I am trying to make a turn and my car turns off. Mid turn! in the middle of the street.do you know how dangerous that is" it just reminds me of those movies where those silly people get stuck on train tracks. Why would you park or stay on a train track" oh, I know, just own a Chevrolet! it'll constantly turn off. Thankfully, I have not gotten stuck on a train track but what I have encountered is just as dangerous. I am constantly driving around with other people and children. My car constantly turning off, especially in the middle of the street is a great hazard to myself and my passengers. I fear my life driving this car. :(

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 152014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving on a highway at 65 mph and the traction control light and check engine light on the dashboard came on and when I had to accelerate then the car started shifting really roughly. I was half way to my destination and then the traction control light went off and the car shifted smoothly on acceleration. The check engine light stayed lit but the car seem to run fine. When I got home I researched the issue and found that there was over 1800 complaints about this same issue. My car is now parked because I thinks its not reliable. I think this should be, yet, another recall for the Cobalt.

- Eagle Creek, OR, USA

Sep 052014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated she was unable to shift from drive to park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Jun 162014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Light goes on and power steering comes on the screen transmition does not shift right no power steering the car can't be driven safely 43000 miles and it was already fixed once.

- Des Moines, IA, USA