2006 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain NHTSA complaints: Power Train

NHTSA — Power Train Problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt (Page 1 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Avoid Like The Plague

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 062014

Cobalt

My wife was driving her car a 2006 Chevy Cobalt ls all of the sudden the dash board lights turned on as if it was being turned on from a cold start. The car started to buckle in the message board started to say power steering. She lost power steering and had to make an emergency stop. I checked the car that afternoon and nothing seemed fine then on a Saturday afternoon it did the same thing to me. I took it to a mechanic to be scanned and the code U0073 poped up which is the control module bus ( communication buss was off). The transmission has not been shifting right, hard, rough shifts are being done. The idle drops and raises automatically. My door lock for he driver side does not open as well. This is really unsafe.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 062014

• 1,003,000 miles
Strange sounds thought it was hubs recently but on, wasn't. maybe the crankcase, wasn't. got louder, more concerned now that my son's were using it to go to work. Realize the many recalls. Non responsive GM. Many weeks wait for replacement parts no loaners.

- Aroura, , OR, USA

Oct 212014

Cobalt

I've had several recalls on my car. Air bags, power steering, ignition switch. I was only able to get 2 of these fixed because the others were not "valid" recalls for my vehicle. One of the issues the ignition switch recall has is that the car turns off. The car. Turns. Off. I don't know why and I don't know how. I just know, the car turns off. This has been a daily battle for me. It started a few months before the recall was released and continues to this day. I was driving across an intersection, the light just turned green, a few cars in front of me. I press the gas slightly & my car turns off. I wasn't even going 10 mph. I wasn't even going more than 5! another incident a few days prior, I was coming to another intersection and another car in the opposite direction was making a left so he was in the middle of the intersection. Thankfully I was not going so fast that I could've stopped and he could've passed. Just as I was approaching the lines to cross into the intersection, my car turned off again. My car is constantly turning off in the middle of rush hour traffic. Thankfully it's traffic so it's going slow but it has happened that my car will just turn off in the middle of me actually driving! there have been many times that I am trying to make a turn and my car turns off. Mid turn! in the middle of the street.do you know how dangerous that is" it just reminds me of those movies where those silly people get stuck on train tracks. Why would you park or stay on a train track" oh, I know, just own a Chevrolet! it'll constantly turn off. Thankfully, I have not gotten stuck on a train track but what I have encountered is just as dangerous. I am constantly driving around with other people and children. My car constantly turning off, especially in the middle of the street is a great hazard to myself and my passengers. I fear my life driving this car. :(

- Miami, FL, USA

Sep 052014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated she was unable to shift from drive to park. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Hazel Park, MI, USA

Jun 162014

Cobalt

Light goes on and power steering comes on the screen transmition does not shift right no power steering the car can't be driven safely 43000 miles and it was already fixed once.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 212011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and other vehicle problems and unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer stated the vehicle would not shut off for about 10 minutes after she switched the ignition to the off position and removed the key. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle suddenly ran out of gas. There was no warning. The very same day, she received a recall notice in the mail regarding an issue with the fuel pump. Also, the consumer discovered the batter exploded, when an odor began to come inside the vehicle. Also, the engine light illuminated, the ac and heat did not work, the dash lights worked occasionally, the transmission was slipping and the interior was falling apart. The vehicle overheated, the ac compressor failed. While driving on the highway, the vehicle stalled. Then something went wrong with the battery and toxic fumes from the battery in the trunk were being sucked into the vehicle. The consumer exited the vehicle, opened the trunk and hot battery acid was all over the place. Updated 09/08/14

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Jun 252014

Cobalt

My key has been stuck in the ignition for a month now. It has caused my battery to die every time I leave it parked. I took my car to get the ignition recall fixed and when I asked if they could remove it they told me only at an additional cost because it was not part of the recall. When I got my car back I was given two new keys with one stuck in the ignition still. I was really confused as to why they said they couldn't remove my key without charging me when they obviously removed my old key to give me a new set and somehow managed to get it stuck again. After looking up how to fix it I believe the problem is with the shifter. There have been lots of complaints all over the internet with various Chevrolet models regarding this same issue.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jun 182014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while parked in a residential garage, the vehicle started rolling backwards and the driver door crashed into the wall. There were no injuries were reported. Also, the contact mentioned that she was able to remove the key out of the ignition switch while the vehicle was in park. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 93,805. Updated 10/7/14

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car was taken to franklin motors on 05/15/2014 to replace the faulty ignition switch 14V047 & 14V171. I was given a rental car in the meantime. My car was returned to me 06/12/2014. That same night when I attempted to turn off my car and remove the key it was difficult. Today, 06/13/2014, I attempted to turn off my car, and remove the key. The key would not turn, the car would not turn off, I could not take the car out of park. After several turns of the steering wheel and jiggling the keys the car finally turned off. My concern is that if the ignition was actually fixed as it should have been why am I having the same issues I had before it was taken to the dealership" I am now scared to drive this car. I have no other means of transportation. I have grandkids that I pick up and I need a safe car that I can trust. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle. Franklin motors once again has my car. What do you suggest I do? how am I to feel safe in this vehicle once it is returned to me again? I want something done to ease my mind. I don't want to have to ride down the road and be one of GM's statistics that something happened to me because of a faulty vehicle that was supposedly fixed" thank you the dealer informed the consumer, the ongoing problems she continued to have, was due to a problem with the gear shifter, and had nothing to do with the ignition.

- Bardstown, KY, USA

Jun 012014

Cobalt

While driving the traction control light comes on randomly then begins to shift very ruff and hard. When it has been turned off the traction control light doesn't come until driving again for about 5 minutes. The shifting has made it difficult to drive and has almost caused me to be in accidents.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Dec 112013

Cobalt 4-cyl

TL - the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000. The contact stated that the failure recurred after the repairs were completed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 142,000. Dr updated 8/27/14 the consumer stated the vehicle experienced power failure at any given time. Updated 09/8/2014

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Apr 072014

Cobalt

TL- the contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when the key is out of the ignition, he is able to take the gear out of park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic. The manufacture was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 124,000 miles and the current mileage was 125,000 miles.

- Reading, MI, USA

Dec 102013

Cobalt 4-cyl

There is a BCM (body control module) problem in all Cobalts which hasn't came to light yet it's very dangerous. It's all over the internet and there are videos on youtube, search for "Cobalt electrical problems" "Cobalt power steering warning" this problem will cause the car gauges to go crazy and it will say engine light, power steering, the transmission goes into safe mode and shifts very hard and then car wants to chug and stall while your driving forcing you to pull over if possible to avoid causing a major accident and then you have to turn the car off this just as dangerous or more dangerous then the ongoing ignition switch recall. While looking on the internet for answers to why this is happening I have found lot's and lot's of other people who are having the exact same problems I have a 2006 ss Cobalt and this is what is happening to me. It has happened 5 times in the last 2 months, I have made arrangement with a GM dealer from where I have purchased the car to have the BCM (body control module) replaced at my expense and hopefully this will make my car safer. But I don't know if it will for sure. Repeat this is not related to the on going ignition switch recall on the 2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt models, this is another safety issue that needs to be addressed and investigated right away. Please take action right away to avoid further loss of lives*

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The car randomly out of nowhere lost power and a check engine light comes on and says engine power reduced. This is extremely unsafe especially if this were to happen at freeway speeds. Engine codes came back and provided that there are issues with the throttle position sensor. 4th recall on this vehicle and currently awaiting results from murdock Chevrolet 2375 S 625 w, woods cross, ut 84087 (801) 298-8091.

- Farmington, UT, USA

Sep 012010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving my Cobalt all of a sudden the RPM's red lined and I had no power. I had to coast into a nearby parking lot. I waited about 30 min, started it back up and it seemed fine. Then I started to have trouble getting my key out of the ignition. There were several times I had to leave my key in the ignition because it would not come out. The next problem came when I would hit the brakes. If someone in front of me suddenly stopped and I had to hit the brakes hard, the car would idle really rough and shut off. That has been a constant problem for the past 2 to 3 years. I called the local koons dealership, they told me these problems were common and that I needed a new BCM. So, I purchased a new BCM. The service department told me that the BCM was "plug and play". basically, it was a few clips, a few bolts and that I could install it myself, so I did. It didn't solve the problem. I called back and the guy that answered the phone told me to unhook the battery and wait 15 minutes, then hook it back up. Not only did it not solve the problem, but by unhooking the battery the anti-theft locked my radio. When I called back the third time the service department told me I needed to bring the car in and have them reset it for 300$. being as thought I just spent 300$ on the BCM I didn't have the money. I bought the Cobalt because it was a Chevy and a small reliable car. I was also a college student so the price was right. Since the recall for the ignition switch has come out, I called the koons dealership and asked about a refund on the BCM because that obviously wasn't the problem. They told me I was out of luck and they weren't going to help me. Now, I have a death trap, im out the money for the BCM, and I don't have money for a new car. Thanks for sticking it to your customers GM! I will never by another GM.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jan 122012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to shift into park. The contact disassembled the gear shift assembly to find that the pin became detached. The contact placed the pin back in position and was able to shift into park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,000.

- Arcade, NY, USA

Jan 252009

Cobalt 4-cyl

When the accident happen, my son and his friend were going to his other friend house to stay. His friend that lived said he was having trouble controlling the steering they ran off the road hitting the side of the road flipping the car, my son was thrown out of the car and was dead on the scene.

- Ocean Isle Beach Sw, NC, USA

Jan 252009

Cobalt

You know when my son bought this car, I know he thought he had the best, this is part of your reviews. New for 2006 are ss sedan and coupe models with normally aspirated engines. These new ss models fit between the lt and ss supercharged models. Their price, power and performance and body work are all toned down from the ss supercharged coupe, but they're sporty cars and possibly the best choice in the lineup, boasting 171-horsepower engines and sports suspensions.this car was suppose to handle good. But now he is dead because of this car. Do you people at chevorlet even know how people feel or what kind of emotion a parent goes through with losing a child and how my life has changed. I will never see him get married, have children. I will never be able to talk to him, feel him, tell him I love him. Yes, I'm hurt. I want you to pay for the mess you have done for my son's life and the life of others. Because you guys hid this mess for years you knew. How many people have too get injured or die. Just look at all the recalls just for this car. Just to think Chevrolet has been the choice of vehicles we have always driven.

- Ocean Isle Beach Sw, NC, USA

Jan 172013

Cobalt

Since I bought this car in may of 2011 I have had nothing but problems. In March of 2012 my fuel pump went out while I was driving due to a recall from several years earlier, which I don't understand why it wasn't replaced before I bought the car especially if I bought if from a dealership. In January of 2013 my gear shift assembly went out luckily after I was done driving and in the process of parking which resulted in my keys getting locked in the ignition. A month later my switch board stopped working in my steering wheel which turns off my signals when I turn and my keys still occasionally get locked in my ignition. My O2 sensor just went out, shortly after I got the car I learned one of my valve covers is leaking oil, and I just replaced my ignition coil pack! I am afraid to drive this car any longer especially with the new recall about the ignition. This car is a hazard to anyone driving it. I should not have this many issues when I have only owned the car for three years. I believe GM should recall the whole car. I tried taking my car to the dealership in February to inquire about the recall and they sent me away and said to wait to receive something in the mail to see if my car qualifies. Seriously"?" I'm not sure what actions I should take to ensure my safety. I don't have the money to fix this car that has everything under the hood failing all at once! every day I drive this car I am putting myself in danger. Any information back would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Aug 142013

Cobalt 4-cyl

When my daughter exited her car she grabbed her backpack from the passenger seat. One of the straps from the backpack hooked around the shifter and moved it to neutral. We did not know the shifter did not lock when you put it in park.the car started rolling backward down our driveway with the drivers door open. The door caught one of our trees in our yard pinning it against the front fender damaging the door and front fender. She had her key in her hand so the ignition was not on. After reading on the internet several of these shifters are defective. This is a dangerous issue that GM is ignoring.

- Coolville, OH, USA