CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

4.9

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt drivetrain problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments

Feb 182007

Cobalt

Yes, I would like to say that I own a Chevrolet Cobalt lt coupe(used), I've had this car for about a year and a half. Probably about 3 months after owning it the gear shift slipped out of place. Meaning that the lever you push to put the car in and out of gear is loose. I can move the "stick" up and down without any worry. I can easily accidentally hit the stick and it could possibly go into reverse. I have taken it to my mechanic and he stated that he could not fix it, but believes there may be a recall. I'm only saying this because I'm afraid that while I'm going down the road and myself or a passenger accidentally hits the stick a little, that the car will switch into a different gear and ruin my engine or cause a wreck.

- Blue Ridge, TX, USA

Jan 092009

Cobalt

While driving our 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt a loss of steering control has occurred over 3 times which includes erratic transmission and gearshift noises. If this had occurred on the highway in any of these occurrences a crash would have resulted. After conducting an online investigation there are thousands of owners of Cobalts which have the same problem with the electronic steering and other electrical problems within the steering column. Nothing has been done to correct the problem due to the dealer wanting to charge $2K. It is clearly a manufacturing defect with most dealers stating it is.

- West Alexandria, OH, USA

Aug 302008

Cobalt

For the past three weeks, my 2006 Cobalt has been shifting hard, giving me a "power steering" message in the dash, security light on, total power steering failure, and a knocking noise in the gear shifter. I've had it to the dealership on numerous occasions for these problems. They replaced the ignition switch and said it was fixed, and a week later it started doing it again. Now they are telling me that they can't find the problem and treating me like I have no idea what I'm talking about. I've only had the car for two years, and my warranty expires next year. It went from happening once a week to happening daily. Sometimes I'll drive it, and nothing will happen. Other times all I have to do is start the car and it starts doing it.

- Ashland, OH, USA

Aug 212007

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt with several different issues customer states that car is a lemon and that she drove the 2007 Cobalt and it ran beautifully* the consumer stated the entire shifter system had to be replaced. The ignition key would not turn in the ignition, the steering column was replaced and the system was reprogrammed, the rotors were machined.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA