Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 4 of 16)

Nov 132013

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car has been mildly having problems when you would stop at a light or pull into a parking spot it acts like it wants to cutoff. I got the letter on the recall and it definitely gave me anxiety driving the car especially since I have to travel 180 miles quite often for my kids. I had the recall fixed and yet still had the minor problem. I say minor only because it did not cause anything bad to happen at that time. Also noticed that my car was not acting right with the two keys they gave me sometimes it would start and sometimes it locked up. But not every time. About two months after that I went to lunch and my key got locked in the ignition and the car would not start. Figuring I trust be the battery I went bought a new battery but the car still wouldn't start. I had it towed to GM dealership and they told me it coded for the ignition switch and the fuse box. But then called me back and said it was the fuse box and the body control module and the fuel pressure censor. I tried to trade it in and the value of a car I bought just a year and a half ago for 11,999 is now only worth $3000 even to the maker of the car I would be stuck paying on a car that is unsafe still and makes it to where I cannot get a new car because of the amount I still owe on the vehicle.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 172014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the cylinder kit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (electrical system). However, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 155,214.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 082014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. After the vehicle was serviced according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (electrical system), the key was loose when it was inserted into the ignition. The contact also stated that the key would tighten once the vehicle was started and opened the trunk. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 164,660.

- Breezewood , PA, USA

Oct 042014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving, the door locks went up and down and immediately after, the engine raced and RPM gage went up significantly.

- Ozark, MO, USA

Sep 152014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I was driving on a highway at 65 mph and the traction control light and check engine light on the dashboard came on and when I had to accelerate then the car started shifting really roughly. I was half way to my destination and then the traction control light went off and the car shifted smoothly on acceleration. The check engine light stayed lit but the car seem to run fine. When I got home I researched the issue and found that there was over 1800 complaints about this same issue. My car is now parked because I thinks its not reliable. I think this should be, yet, another recall for the Cobalt.

- Eagle Creek, OR, USA

Jul 182014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Electronic display goes completely black while in motion or stationary at times with no warning then returns to normal or partial information displays. Also, display blinks weird codes and symbols at times then returns to normal without warning.

- Hanover Park, IL, USA

Sep 032012

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to release and the gear shift lever shifted out of park independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician replaced that the R&R solenoid key release, solenoid key lock and shifter assembly. The vehicle was included in recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V04700 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 64,927.

- Henrico , VA, USA

Aug 022013

Cobalt 4-cyl

Boltwell ever since we had gotten this Chevy Cobalt we are having probes bad it is bad.yes we got a warranty. So we take it back so they can fix it so they had it for a week. Well they called us to come get it well we did and they told us they couldn't fix it because they wouldn't make no profit off of it they did and. So they had a white truck out there with more miles. So we ask for it and they said they couldn't do it. And now the warranty went up yesterday so now we are stuck and it cost. Us to 50 dollars a day to drive it costthirty miles.and use it to take my grandma back and forth to the clinic and it makes her very sick please help us get what we are paying for or what we wanted in the first place and that is a small truck we don't care it can be the same mileage and every thing and this place is a in bowie and it's lipscombs and I prefer not going back there if I can keep from it I recorded them telling us that and everything and I had all ready got the car and every thing you can tell what they checked to because it is still hanging from the car please contact me my grandma is 82 yrs old she has to make it to her appointments please.

- Bowie, TX, USA

Apr 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I ordered my parts for the GM ignition switch in April. It is now mid-September. I have been getting the run-around from both the dealership that I ordered the parts from as well as the GM customer care. I am a resident physician who drives 30 miles each way to and from the hospital, six days per week. Twice now I have been told I'd hear back from the GM district manager within 24-48 business hours. I am still awaiting a call-back from a conversation last Thursday. Not everyone has a 9-5 job with holidays off, a second family car to use, a work address close to public transportation or the disposable income to pay for a rental car. I am using just the single key, but I do not have the peace of mind that I am driving in safe vehicle, as my car has switched into the accessory position both before and after the recall. A $50 per day out-of-pocket cost is not a resolution, it is another burden on the car owner, especially if he or she does not have a driveway or garage to park the faulty car. Hearing "we can't tell when your parts will come in, because so many are being made, " or "where did you buy your car? maybe your parts are there, " is not customer service, nor is "we'll check with the dealership, and call you back". (then wait 24-48 hrs, just to be called back by the rep who wrote down the wrong dealership name, and has not called back since). This is unreal. There should be a way to track centrally the status of the parts and repairs! this is an endless game of phone tag!

- Astoria, NY, USA

Aug 252014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving the car the power steering goes out and makes the car hard to drive. The steering pump has been changed 2 times since original recall, but yet the problem still exists.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 042014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign number: 14V171000 (electrical system). However, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Rehoboth Beach, DE, USA

Aug 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder and key replacement recall issues. The consumer stated he always experienced problems with the vehicle, but could get never get a resolution from the dealer, as they could never replicate the problem. The consumer received three recalls about the urgency of getting the issue fixed. However, the dealer did not have the parts.

- Fall City, WA, USA

Apr 162014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the parts were unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Plainsbourough, NJ, USA

May 062014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Power steering failure seems to occur at random times, and becoming more frequent. There is a "power steering" display on dashboard and a warning chime. Then the speedometer and RPM's go bonkers, the car repeatedly jumps forward abruptly, and the power steering goes out. Sometimes I can park, turn the car off and back on, and the issue goes away, and sometimes it does not. This happened last year, but the power steering motor recall (done in July of 2013) seemed to fix it, but only temporarily. It is irritating and scary to have to drive my car like this, and I am concerned for my safety during the upcoming winter months where I will certainly be driving on ice and snow. I hope there will be another recall to permanently solve this issue. Thank you.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Jan 212014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle stalls while driving and consumer requests reimbursement for repairs. According to the invoice, the dealer found a low voltage under the hood and several bare wires from old repairs. The PCM was replaced and reprogrammed.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jan 312014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the parts needed for the repairs were unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Hayesville, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to issues with the ignition switch recall. The consumer finally received a call from the dealer, to come in for the recall. When she arrived at the dealer, the service advisor, informed her she needed to sign a document. She was also informed, the remote starter would be disconnected and they were not liable to reconnect it. The advisor stated it was not their responsibility to reconnect the remote starter and after the recall part was installed the remote starter would no longer work and she would have to pay someone to reconnect the remote starter. The consumer left the dealership without getting the recall done.

- Hampton, NH, USA

Feb 212014

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warning lights illuminated. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number 14E021000 (ignition switch) and the vehicle was taken to the dealer to remedy the recall however, the failure recurred. The failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Lebanon, NJ, USA

Sep 182013

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the ignition started to click. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired under NHTSA campaign number 14E021000 (electrical system). The contact mention that after the repairs the clicking persisted and the key was unable to be removed from the ignition. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Willard , OH, USA

Jan 212011

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch and other vehicle problems and unsatisfactory customer service at dealership. The consumer stated the vehicle would not shut off for about 10 minutes after she switched the ignition to the off position and removed the key. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle suddenly ran out of gas. There was no warning. The very same day, she received a recall notice in the mail regarding an issue with the fuel pump. Also, the consumer discovered the batter exploded, when an odor began to come inside the vehicle. Also, the engine light illuminated, the ac and heat did not work, the dash lights worked occasionally, the transmission was slipping and the interior was falling apart. The vehicle overheated, the ac compressor failed. While driving on the highway, the vehicle stalled. Then something went wrong with the battery and toxic fumes from the battery in the trunk were being sucked into the vehicle. The consumer exited the vehicle, opened the trunk and hot battery acid was all over the place. Updated 09/08/14

- Kerrville, TX, USA