CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt electrical problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 6 of 16)

Jun 122014

Cobalt 4-cyl

I contacted graff Chevrolet in grand prairie tx about recall notice 14V047/14V171 (GM 13454, 14063, 14113, 14133) in may and was told to come back in June that they would have part available for the recall repair. I went on June 12 and was then told that we would be on waiting list for at least a month for parts to come in. I live with my older mom, and care for my grandmother who has alzheimers, both of which need constant medical treatment and medicines. I use my car to Transport both to their doctors visits and cannot have issues with my car regarding the recall notice. I have trouble with the key not turning the ignition at times, and sometimes the steering wheel will tend to want to lock while driving. These are very serious safety concerns especially when I have my mother and grandmother aboard while driving. I do not know why the dealership told us to call on the following month and now they are telling us we have to be on a waiting list and it may be a month or longer. I need this issue resolved. The ignition issue is a very serious matter to me since this car is my only means of transportation. Please help in having this issue resolved as soon as possible. Due to my need to Transport my mother and grandmother I cannot be worrying about a potential safety hazard. I am afraid to drive this car since it has the potential to create a serious accident, or leave us stranded in the Texas heat if it decides to not release or engage the ignition.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Nov 092006

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall repairs. The consumer stated the key would not release, from the ignition.

- Anthem, AZ, USA

Apr 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

My car was taken to franklin motors on 05/15/2014 to replace the faulty ignition switch 14V047 & 14V171. I was given a rental car in the meantime. My car was returned to me 06/12/2014. That same night when I attempted to turn off my car and remove the key it was difficult. Today, 06/13/2014, I attempted to turn off my car, and remove the key. The key would not turn, the car would not turn off, I could not take the car out of park. After several turns of the steering wheel and jiggling the keys the car finally turned off. My concern is that if the ignition was actually fixed as it should have been why am I having the same issues I had before it was taken to the dealership" I am now scared to drive this car. I have no other means of transportation. I have grandkids that I pick up and I need a safe car that I can trust. I no longer feel safe in this vehicle. Franklin motors once again has my car. What do you suggest I do? how am I to feel safe in this vehicle once it is returned to me again? I want something done to ease my mind. I don't want to have to ride down the road and be one of GM's statistics that something happened to me because of a faulty vehicle that was supposedly fixed" thank you the dealer informed the consumer, the ongoing problems she continued to have, was due to a problem with the gear shifter, and had nothing to do with the ignition. Updated 1/6/2015

- Bardstown, KY, USA

May 282014

Cobalt

The contact owns 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the power stering assist failed and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The contact stated that the failure occurred as a result of the vehicle being recently repaired under recall NHTSA campaign number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact to have the dealer perform a diagnostic on the steering wheel. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 141,000.

- Saint Helens , OR, USA

Jun 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

For months I have been having problems with my ignition switch, I have been calling every week to the Chevrolet dealership closest to my home and each week they tell me to call back next week. Well this week my car finally died on me. Luckily I had parked and went into a store and when I came out the it would not start rather than stalling on the road. So I called the dealership and explained what my car had done and at that time they told me to call triple aaa and have them tow my car to the dealership. I was told that if it was my ignition switch it would be fixed and I could get a rental until the parts come in. Well needless to say I called the towing company (aaa) and my car was towed up there the next day when I called to check on it I was told that it was my starter and now I owe a hundred and two dollars towing fee and have to pay them over six hundred dollars to do the starter work. I could not afford this so now I'm out of more money to have my car towed away from there. I go and buy a starter that cost over two hundred dollars only to put it on and my car still don't work. I am so disappointed in this company and I am afraid of this car. I am not a mechanic and I am not sure what this ignition switch may or may not do if I continue to drive. I was under the impression that I could get a rental according to the news and I am yet to get anyone to even act as if they care. This is a plea for you to help me. I am a single mother of four, working two jobs and this is my only source of transportation. Please help me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Tunica, MS, USA

Mar 012013

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and NHTSA campaign id number: 14E021000 (ignition switch). The contact stated that the key failed to start the ignition. The dealer informed the contact that parts were not available. The manufacturer had been notified of the problem. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- County Club, MO, USA

Mar 052014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle cutting off twice. The consumer stated the second time the vehicle cut off, she was hit by an 18-wheeler. When the vehicle cut off, all the lights remained on and the low traction light would come on and go off.

- Hammond, IN, USA

May 282014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign id numbers 14V171000 (electrical system) and 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the parts needed were unavailable to perform the repair. The dealer was unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part to become available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received the recall notification for NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the repair has exceeded a reasonable amount of time. The dealer stated parts were not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the delay. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Dayton, TX, USA

Mar 202014

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received the recall notification related to NHTSA campaign id number 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system). The contact stated that the repair was not taken care of in a reasonable amount of time. The dealer indicated parts were not available. Contact had not experienced a failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle current mileage was unknown...updated 08/11/14 updated 08/20/2014

- Weirton , WV, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact received a recall notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V047000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the part was unavailable for the remedy. The dealer informed the contact that the remedy part would not be available until August of 2014. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The a contact had not experienced a failure.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Feb 032014

Cobalt 4-cyl

Contacted dealer to order parts for ignition recall and there is no time frame when parts will come in. Initial recall was in February of 2014, parts still not in and it is now May 21st.

- Albany, NY, USA

May 282006

Cobalt

On May 28, 2006, my husband was driving solo in a rented 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt on an undivided highway leading from the North rim of the grand canyon. The road conditions were excellent: It was 9 am on a Sunday morning with very little traffic, on a straight, dry road with open country on either side. Witnesses to his accident report that after he passed a camper at a normal speed for that highway and began to pull back in front of it, his car abruptly veered off the lane and onto the right shoulder, where he lost control. The car fishtailed, skidded back onto the highway, and rolled over several times. Other drivers stopped immediately to help, but my husband was unresponsive and died a week later without regaining consciousness. All who saw the accident were at a loss to explain how or why it occurred. My husband was an experienced and very careful driver, in good health and alert that morning. The recent news about faulty ignition switches in Cobalts of that era finally provides a plausible explanation. He had long legs and could easily have bumped the steering column or ignition keys during normal operation of a car that was unfamiliar to him. It's far too late to examine the car, but I hope this account contributes circumstantial evidence that there were more deaths caused by those faulty switches than will ever be proven-- or redressed.

- Cornwall Bridge, CT, USA

Apr 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall notice and states that vehicle was totaled. The consumer stated the vehicle was totaled on April 2, 2014.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to distance he has to drive for recall repairs. The consumer was informed the repairs and adjustments regarding the recall, must be performed by a Chevrolet dealer. Updated 07/27/15.

- Hines, OR, USA

Mar 012006

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer requests reimbursement for ignition key lock repairs. The consumer stated the key became stuck in the ignition. The ignition cylinder was replaced. Also, she had ongoing problems with the brakes, which almost resulted in an accident. Updated 06/12/14 the consumer is seeking reimbursement. Updated 07/02/14

- Saint Albans, NY, USA

Apr 022014

Cobalt 4-cyl

While driving the dashboard flashes "power steering" repeatedly. The check engine light came on and then the security theft light came on. As I came to a stop the car began to shake and down shifted hard. As I began to excel from a stop, it also shifted really hard. Also, while driving, my speedometer became erotic. On multiple incidences when I came to a stop by car's RPM dropped below 500 and acted as if it were about to stall. A few times it did stall and would not restart unless I had it in neutral and took off immediately. Another time, as I was waiting in a drive-thru, my shifter began to click.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Apr 112014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall issues. The dealer informed the consumer, the part was not available.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

Mar 012014

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevy Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch recall. The consumer called the dealer regarding the ignition switch recall. They informed him, it would be at least 3 weeks before the part would be available. The consumer stated with only 19,000 miles on the vehicle, within the last 6 months, the power windows stopped working and last month, the cruise control stopped working.

- Mercerville, NJ, USA

Dec 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. Consumer writes in regards to faulty ignition switch recall notice. The consumer stated the vehicle started shutting down, in December 2012. She has repair bills totaling $1,354.18 from the dealer, who tried on several occasions to fix the problem, by replacing components that did not need to be replaced because they did not know what the problem was at the time.

- Redford, MI, USA