CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Cobalt continued to carry the torch first lit by the 2005 model year. To be clear, that torch is burning bright with widespread power steering issues, electrical curiosities and a dangerous ignition switch defect which led to a massive recall by GM. This isn’t a great torch to carry.

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Oct 012009

Cobalt

Strong fuel odor during operation and after turning off engine on a 2006 Chevy Cobalt. Research shows this is a common problem with this make/model. Several owners report similar problems. Spoke to GM, they claim no open recalls or service bulletins exist. Owners have reported the problem being cause by defective fuel pump assemblies. Again GM refuses to take action. This among other defects on these cars is a perfect example of consumers being but in danger by faulty vehicles. Since GM refuses to acknowledge the problems with there vehicles government intervention in the case is a must.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Dec 162009

Cobalt

Yesterday, Dec 16,2009, my neighbor called me on the phone and said, "I noticed walking by your car, a strong odor of gasoline." I checked, and there was a small puddle of gasoline under the car under the rear end.. I took the car to a local repair shop today, Dec 17, 2009.. they said that there was a "crack" on the fuel pump and replaced it. I paid for the repair. After I got home, I checked the NHTSA web site and found that here is a recall for this problem on my car. The repair was made at the nearest repair shop, which is not a GM dealer. Will Chevrolet reimburse me for the repair" description of car: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt date purchased 2/15/2006 purchased in St. Louis county, mo I have not received a notice from Chevrolet about this problem. Will Chevrolet reimburse me for the repair"

- Maplewood, MO, USA

Oct 202009

Cobalt

My 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt has been diagnosed with a fuel pump modular failure recently and I got quoted 1100 for the repair and now my vehicle is inoperable. I noticed your campaign number 09V419000 in reference to the recall and our vehicle was bought and registered in Arizona (I am military) in 2006. We contacted Chevy and they now tell us that our VIN does not fit the description and that they will only pay for the part and part of the labor with our total being between $400-$500 even though it is the exact same thing as the recall states. I do not have that kind of money to be paying for a part I should not have to pay for.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Nov 182009

Cobalt

2006 Chevy Cobalt, 64, 000 miles. The car leaks fuel from the fuel pump hose on top of the gas tank near the exhaust pipe location which could be a source of ignition. It happens every time you start the car. I took it to the local Chevy dealer, they repaired the car for about $600. I was told there was no recall on this model. I found from the GM web site and the NHTSA site that in fact GM has recalled 53000 of these cars for this exact same problem. I was assigned a specialist and a case number and GM was investigating if I qualify for financial assistance. After 3 days of GM investigating, they decided my VIN number doesn't match with this recall. They said the car is out of warranty, and I argues that this is a safety recall for 53000 other Cobalts and similar models, not a warranty issue at all, its a safety recall. They said their decision was final, and I will receive no financial help. The GM recall number is 090226. The NHTSA campaign number id number is 09V419000. The mechanic described my cars problem exactly how the recall reads, and the recall says at no cost to the customer this part will be replaced by the dealer. GM only said no to free replacement because of a VIN number that has not been input into their recall system.

- Coalinga, CA, USA

Sep 102009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt that is leaking gas from the fuel pump module. I live in Florida. I understand that there is a recall for this problem in other states but not for my VIN number. My car is not under factory warranty and I believe the car will catch fire due to the amount of the fuel leaking from the ports.

- Lighthouse Point, FL, USA

Nov 012009

Cobalt

One day my wife walked past the car & smelled gas. I tracked down the smell to the top of the gas tank. I removed the gas tank to find the fuel supply port leaking gas. I have yet to take care of it.

- Red Bluff, CA, USA

Oct 202009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt with a fuel leak in the fuel pump. GM says that my Cobalt VIN # doesn't match those in the recall. Regardless, my vehicle has the problem. They are not willing to check the vehicle or fix the vehicle even though they are aware of the existence of the problem & the hazards involved with it. I cannot afford the huge bill it will take to fix the problem so I am putting myself and others in danger driving the vehicle.

- Selma, TX, USA

Nov 022009

Cobalt

Fuel leak from top of gas tank on 2006 Chevy Cobalt. Dripping gas & leaving line of gasoline when car moves. Leaking where fuel line from fuel filter connects to fuel pump(sending unit) which is on top of gas tank. Dripping about six inches from exhaust pipe. Internet search discovered other post with similar leakage. Hoses are formed/pressed on connection. To replace hoses & fix leak requires replacing the fuel pump with the hoses already attached.

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Oct 082009

Cobalt

Gas fumes smell while in car and outside of car. Gas puddling under car. Had service done to car to find cause. No leak in/on gas tank, may be evac system or system that pressurized gas. Possible blockage and afraid of driving car due to it ending up in flames. Called GM to see if there is a recall, was told no recall on my VIN# but found out on internet through autoblog that GM has plans on a recall but doesn't state when owner's will be notified or whether or not my car will be part of that recall. I have noticed a lot of people that own 2006 Cobalts are having a lot of fuel problems.

- Norman, OK, USA

Oct 102009

Cobalt

Raw gas swell inside and outside of vehicle. Fuel coming from sending unit do to crack in the line between fuel tank and fuel filter. This was corrected by replacing the fuel module assy (fuel pump).

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Sep 102009

Cobalt

I have a 2006 Chevy Cobalt and there is a very strong gas smell from under the car I was told by a GM tech that it could be the fuel pump gasket rotting. And or the return gas line may be cracked I looked under my car and seen a gas leak stain I guess but the smell is coming from the gas tank no doubt about that.

- Magnolia, AR, USA

Sep 132009

Cobalt

Last Aug 2009 I was living my drive way and they steer wheel got stuck and I got trapped between my trees. I didn't know what happen so I just assumed it was me being a bad driver. Two weeks ago I was driving in a street and the bell in the computer start ringing and gave me a message "power steer" then the steer while got stuck again. I didn't know what to do so I stop and called a towing truck to get my car and take it to my mechanic. My mechanic kept it for a day and said that Cobalts 2006 and 2007 have this problem the computer does not communicate with the engine and that's what happen. I called General Motors and they asked me how many miles I had in the car which is 64,000 and then they told me I had to take it to one of his dealer shops to make sure. I told the lady to be sure they were going to consider this because I have to pay and then they will decide if it was a safety issue. I did pay a lot of money and they say -you are not under guarantee- I got mad because they knew since the beginning how many miles I had. Now if I turn left or right the steer wheel get stuck so I have to stop and turn off the car. After that I can drive ok. Is always dangerous if I'm in a busy street or highway. To repair they want $1,000 that I don't have. The lady who "helped" me her name is mariana jimenez and she told the they are going to pay for a gas leak that I had in this year too. Because that is a re-call. She said she will send the papers to get reimburse but she never did. The case number for the problem I have now from General Motors is 71759207211. They are only recognizing the problem with the gas leaking because that was a "safety issue" how is not a safety issue driving and the steer wheel gets stuck? so my complain is for the gas leaking that I pay myself and didn't get reimburse and the current problem. The Chevrolet shop wrote this in the invoice I paid "performed diag system check-U2107/U2100/CO475 stored in pscm silate to internal pscm motor failure".

- Eugene, OR, USA

Sep 202009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that two gallons of fuel leaked from the fuel tank. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could cause a fire. An authorized mechanic replaced the fuel system, since it was designed defectively. The vehicle identification number was unavailable. The failure and current mileages were 53,000.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Sep 142009

Cobalt

A crack which let fuel leak and seep into the injector connector pocket, resulting in fuel odor and spillage.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 152009

Cobalt 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that intermittently while driving the power steering warning light would illuminate on the instrument control panel, then the power steering failed. The inability to control the vehicle increased the risk of a vehicle crash. Additionally, she smelled a strong odor of fuel inside the vehicle. The vehicle has not been inspected to determine the cause of failure. The current and failure mileages were 58,900. Updated 10/21/09 updated 10/20/09.

- Carrolton, TX, USA

Aug 102009

Cobalt

2006 Chevrolet Cobalt with 93K miles, fuel line nipple on pressure side of fuel pump cracks releasing fuel and vapor to the underside of vehicle, causing engine failure, fire and potentially catastrophic situation. Fuel pump was replaced at owners expense.

- Bealeton, VA, USA

Jul 302009

Cobalt

Normal driving, gas leaking from fuel tank, not yet corrected, 37,000 is no longer under warranty by only 1000 miles, dealer says there are no recalls on this car at all plastic gas tank.

- Marietta, GA, USA